Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
So...what year is the last year you could get Halogen headlights?

Just curious.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
They're still available on 2015's...
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
They're still available on 2015's...
Oh yeah, I forgot they use it on the Z28 due to the lighter weight...but what about a non z28?
Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot they use it on the Z28 due to the lighter weight...but what about a non z28?
Pretty much every trim designation that had them before, still has them for the 2015 model year.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Why are you curious?

Also in the dealers guide for the 6th gen the LT models you can have halogen headlights.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS View Post
Why are you curious?

Also in the dealers guide for the 6th gen the LT models you can have halogen headlights.
Ugggggg.... Come on GM, get with the program.....LED technology is cheap and plentifully available for forward lighting... why isn't better lighting an available option on ALL models???
Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Ugggggg.... Come on GM, get with the program.....LED technology is cheap and plentifully available for forward lighting... why isn't better lighting an available option on ALL models???
Better lighting is available on all models.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
it would jack up the base price so its not included. if you want it you must pay$$$
seems like they are figuring this out on the next gen and making more optional goodies. (like the brembos)
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #9
NJScorpio

I am surprised it is offered in the 6th Gen...but again, as it is lighter, it makes sense from a performance stand point. Might as well have it ready for the 6th Gen z/28!
Old 05-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
Beardface

Drives: '11 topless 2LT RS & '05 Altima SER
Quote:
US regulations are really hampering the auto industry's ability to evolve lighting on their vehicles to match technology.

Audi has an adaptive LED headlamp system in Europe right now that has an array of 20 LED lamps that will automatically shut off where it senses it is shining on another vehicle or person while maintaining a constant state of high beams elsewhere. But that technology is banned in the US, because it doesn't illuminate evenly. The US has also banned the sequential turn indicators on 2016 Audi A4s because at the onset of the indication, not enough LEDs are lit to satisfy industry standards (the indicators have a series of 8 amber LEDs that light up to indicate direction of intended turn).

Yeah, the US is stupid like that.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Better lighting is available on all models.
So, LED or Xenon lighting will be available as a stand-alone option on all trim levels the next generation Camaro? It's a safety feature. I don't want to have to buy leather seats or an upgraded radio to have better lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
US regulations are really hampering the auto industry's ability to evolve lighting on their vehicles to match technology.

Audi has an adaptive LED headlamp system in Europe right now that has an array of 20 LED lamps that will automatically shut off where it senses it is shining on another vehicle or person while maintaining a constant state of high beams elsewhere. But that technology is banned in the US, because it doesn't illuminate evenly. The US has also banned the sequential turn indicators on 2016 Audi A4s because at the onset of the indication, not enough LEDs are lit to satisfy industry standards (the indicators have a series of 8 amber LEDs that light up to indicate direction of intended turn).

Yeah, the US is stupid like that.
Well, forward LED lighting is already DOT approved and readily available in the US. It's optional on some newer vehicles including Audis here in the US.

Trucklite is a company that makes aftermarket and OE equipment for heavy duty trucks, military, and consumer applications. I have a set of $350 LED headlamps in my Jeep JK Wrangler- the cost was for a pair. They're DOT approved and comply with all US Standards and absolutely annihlate any OE halogen or Xenon headlamp I've ever personally owned. They are purchased as an assembly, with a reflector optimized for LED lighting. I don't see why GM doesn't turn that technology or something just like it around for a $1,000 option. They so easily could.

Audi has a laser headlamp system that I've heard is in development, or maybe they're already testing it. Sounds pretty cool.

Point is, I think safety options, headlamps included, should be stand-alone options offered on all trim levels of a vehicle. I also think that options like LED lighting should already be available equipment on all new cars/trucks.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #12
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
It shows LED fog lights for all models but halogen headlights is standard for the LT model.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:20 AM   #13
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
do they make LEDs that can last in cold climates yet? I was told that LEDs cant take temps like they see in Alaska. all camaros with out the RS package come with halogen bulbs
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
87GNX

Drives: Alot
LOL at the weight of an HID system....two ballasts and wiring is what 3 pounds? Come on...you can great hid kits now for 50.00-100.00 using slim ballasts. Halogen sucks and will never go back to that ancient technology.