Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
HELP! Need to know if calipers are compatible left/right on SS

HELP! I'm replacing my rear passenger caliper and the caliper that I got from Advance Auto appears to be the one for the left side. I looked at the caliper I have and the only thing I can tell that would be different from the other one would be the bleeders are on the bottom as opposed to the top. I took a bleeder out and tested it to see if it would fit in the hole on the other end of the caliper and it went in fine.

What I'm wondering is, can I just swap the bleeders to the top which would then basically be exactly what I need?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Not sure about the Camaro, but on other cars, the side (top or the bottom) that isn't being used is usually stopped up or not machined completely through inside to prevent brake fluid from coming through. If you do that, the bottom is completely open and will pour brake fluid while the top may not even work at all. You should take it back and tell them they gave you the wrong side.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Oh no, there is a crossover tube at the bottom so I would just swap that. I already swapped the bleeder screws and they went in fine. They seem to be the same threading as the crossover tube hole so I'm not seeing any reason why it all can't just be swapped. In fact, both top and bottom of the caliper has a recession path for the crossover tube which makes me think even more there isn't a difference other than the bleeder screws being swapped.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
Old 07-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Oh no, there is a crossover tube at the bottom so I would just swap that. I already swapped the bleeder screws and they went in fine. They seem to be the same threading as the crossover tube hole so I'm not seeing any reason why it all can't just be swapped. In fact, both top and bottom of the caliper has a recession path for the crossover tube which makes me think even more there isn't a difference other than the bleeder screws being swapped.
Correct, you're fine.
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Already swapped and mostly bled. Have a little air left I think, but otherwise good to go!

Old 07-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
you made sure the bleeder was on top? it has to be on top for to get all the air out. I thought it didn't matter with the old ladies caddy. I bled and bled. from the bottom . silly old me.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Yep, swapped the bleeders to the top!