Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
TJ's MARO

Drives: Fully Loaded Black on Black 2LT/RS
black/grey smoke coming out of my exhaust pipes

im having what my family believes is a problem.. i was driving the other day with my family in the car behind me and as i was stopped at multiple lights, (idle) they said they noticed black/grey smoke coming out of my exhaust pipes.. i have the 3.6L v6 stock exhaust no additions to the exhaust or the engine at all.. i plan to take it to a dealer to have it looked at but every dealer in my area is shit. so if anyone has experienced this or knows something about this problem id appreciate your input. thanks

TJ's MARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Never had this happen to me, but if you take it to the dealer i know that it will be fixed.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
TJ's MARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Never had this happen to me, but if you take it to the dealer i know that it will be fixed.
yeah im trying to find a good one right now to take it to.. thanks

Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Sparksl
Lloyd

Drives: 2010 RS/2SS
Could be carbon. Maybe just running a little rich. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. Dealer should take care of it> Are your exhaust tips black with carbon?
Sparksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
TJ's MARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksl View Post
Could be carbon. Maybe just running a little rich. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. Dealer should take care of it> Are your exhaust tips black with carbon?
no they are just the stock ones.. thats why i thought this whole thing was odd..i could understand having complications if i had aftermarket stuff.. but i dont. AND the car only has merely 3,700 miles..

Old 08-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
TJ's MARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Run it up until it squeals into second a few times.

Do this every day.
sorry i appreciate your advice but im not sure i understand what you mean by this..?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
mySSt

Drives: '11 SS M6, '14 SS 1LE, '17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's MARO View Post
no they are just the stock ones.. thats why i thought this whole thing was odd..i could understand having complications if i had aftermarket stuff.. but i dont. AND the car only has merely 3,700 miles..
I think he meant for you to wipe the inside of your exhaust tips and see if there is any black residue inside. If so, your engine is burning fuel rich (results in excess carbon showing up in the exhaust).

'11 CGM SS M6 ordered in 3/11, '14 BRM SS 1LE from stock in 10/13 & '17 HBM SS 1LE in 11/16 - all from BeckyD!!
mySSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
TJ's MARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mySSt View Post
I think he meant for you to wipe the inside of your exhaust tips and see if there is any black residue inside. If so, your engine is burning fuel rich (results in excess carbon showing up in the exhaust).
ohh! sorry. okay i did that and YES they are very black inside.. so you say my engine burns fuel rich.. so is this something i should be concerned about? or is there anything a dealer could do for me? thanks i appreciate your advice.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
mySSt

Drives: '11 SS M6, '14 SS 1LE, '17 SS 1LE
Shouldn't be a big deal. Take it to a dealer and let them run a check. May just be a bad sensor of some sort.

'11 CGM SS M6 ordered in 3/11, '14 BRM SS 1LE from stock in 10/13 & '17 HBM SS 1LE in 11/16 - all from BeckyD!!
mySSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Have you checked your oil level lately?

Sounds like to me its burning oil.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
TJ's MARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
Have you checked your oil level lately?

Sounds like to me its burning oil.
well what pisses me off is that i got my oil changed at 3,400 miles.. i now have about 3,700.. and when i got home from picking my car up i noticed the engine cover was loose.. very bad experience horrible dealership and my camaro will never go back there. but now im not sure what to do..

Old 08-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
B1G-AL

Drives: 09 Bullitt, 08 H3 Alpha, Ram SS/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's MARO View Post
well what pisses me off is that i got my oil changed at 3,400 miles.. i now have about 3,700.. and when i got home from picking my car up i noticed the engine cover was loose.. very bad experience horrible dealership and my camaro will never go back there. but now im not sure what to do..
I don't know what it is with Chevy dealers but most of them are horrible! I've always taken my Chevys/other GM products to Cadillac dealers, they usually do a somewhat decent job there!

Hope you get your issue resolved TJ! Try driving to empty and then filling up with 89 octane rather than 87 and then disconnect your battery overnight to reset the ECU and see if the car stops running rich
Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #13
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
double check your oil level to be safe.

But the LLT runs rich....I wouldn't worry too much if the car runs well.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
You would be burning oil if blue smoke was coming out of the rear.

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote