Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
goose7919

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
What the dealer said...

So I was picking up a friend from our local Chevy dealership and happened to ask about the camaro. The dealer told me that they should be in by late this year and would sell over sticker price, around $40,000 (I'm assuming he was talking about the v8's). Obviously, I think he was guessing and really didn't know much at all. I was expecting him to say this time next year and give a 30k price range. I don't post here often, but I've been reading posts everyday for the past 6-7 months, so I know the general jist of things. Just wanted to share with you guys how little informed the head honchos can be.
goose7919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose7919 View Post
Just wanted to share with you guys how little informed the head honchos can be.
Yeah, I was talking to a dealer that said the Camaro would be around $40,000 and would have a LS2 in it... a 5.7 LS2

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
What a dope. I'm not a fan of salesmen. They don't know their @$$es from a hole in the ground (no offense to any salesmen out there .)

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
Yeah, I was talking to a dealer that said the Camaro would be around $40,000 and would have a LS2 in it... a 5.7 LS2
Dumba$$
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I generally try not to ask a dealer any questions regarding the Camaro.

My local dealer feels they are going to be extremely hard to get in the beginning (he's probably right on that point). He even said at one point they were going to cancel the new Camaro... I just smiled and nodded knowing this wasn't true.

Another dealer (where I will probably end up getting it) did say it would probably be hard to get something off the lot. But also said they are having the same problem with the Malibu when people want something in particular that isn't on the lot. He said, with the Camaro, he will suggest the same thing he does with the Malibu- Order It.

They are a HUGE dealership. A dealership I have dealt with in the past, and feel does offer good deals on it's vehicles (we just got the '08 Equinox Sport for $23,800 with rebates - MSRP $29,200). And that dealer's seeming confidence that they can get me one if I order made me have more confidence in them. The first (local) dealer didn't seem like he thought there was much chance of getting a Camaro even placing an order.

Also, the large dealership was VERY honest regarding knowledge of the Camaro. The manager admitted that he had more than enough to worry about at the dealership (as did the dealer) to REALLY take the time to research a vehicle that isn't even out yet. They said that I most likely DID know more than them at this point.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
swazworth
the nerd king

Drives: 2005 scion xb...
i happened to stop by a dealership today-> (i had to do a drive threw @ pontiac to see if the G8 was there yet, answer is no) anyways, so i drove across the street to chevy. i only asked them what they know about it, and to my surprise, he did know that the should be in showroom this time next year. but that was all he knew. o'well that is why i'm on here everyday.
swazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Don't talk to dealerships! They don't know jack! Until they have Camaros on the lot with sticker on them, no one has any authority saying how much it will cost or what will be in it.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
jhitson

Drives: 88 Camaro, 01 S-10, 06 G6 GTP
I agree. A dealership has onlde one purpose and that is to seperate you from your money. Sit down and I will tell you a little story. Feb 2006 I was looking for the wife a new car. She finally decided she wanted a G6 GTP. Went to pontiac.com to price the car, the I started calling dealerships. 1st one said $34.9k ($2k over msrp) cause it was a "Limited Edition". I hung up on his lame ass. 2nd was right on msrp, but when I showd up to test drive the car, the had put the base V6 wheels on it. That was a deal breaker. anyway after much frustration I wound calling Jim Hardman pontiac in gainsville, ga. Internet manager(can't remember his name) said that it was in stock. I told him that I get the supplier discount. He said forget about the discout, that he could do better than that. I drove home in the exact car my wife wanted for a little over $6,000 UNDER msrp. Moral=Deal with the internet manager over the phone. Screw the salsmen.
jhitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
This topic seems to keep reoccuring.

To the best of my knowledge, pricing hasn't even been set yet, so how can any salesperson say what the Camaro will sell for? Sure, they can speculate.

As for dealers who will add a "mark-up", I'd suggest buyers search elsewhere. A little research on the buyers part can result in getting a new Camaro at a reasonable price. Unless you have to be "the first person on the block" with a new Camaro, I see no reason to pay a "mark-up".

I've never payed a "mark-up" and I don't plan on starting now!

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
This kind of sh*t is actually making a bit happy that I probably won't afford it for a few years. A bit. Not enough to still want it NOW but a bit.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
jims69camaro

Drives: 1969 camaro coupe; 1987 IROC z
dealer: why should i give you what you want at a discount?
you: because if you don't, then i will find someone who will.
dealer: no one in their right mind is going to give you a top-of-the-line with a $5,000 discount.
you: does that mean you won't do it?
dealer: that's right. you'll pay the markup just like everyone else.
you: see ya!

and leave. yeah, he's got your phone number, but unless he is willing to do the deal you want (whatever it is) then you walk and find someone who will. the arrogance of some dealers, it's like they think they are the only car dealership in the world who is going to sell you a car. guess what, buddy? the guy down the street thinks my money is green, too. and i will keep looking until i find what i want at the price i want to pay.

-small note: i worked as a salesman, closer, used car manager, f&i - i've basically been down the road and back. i watched a new car manager cut and paste (with scissors and tape) the new car invoices until they had the numbers he wanted them to have, then run over to the copier and make a new copy for the book. so when a customer comes in and says, "so and so says your invoice price is $X", he can show them an actual piece of paper with an invoice of what he wants it to be (typically a thousand more). it all comes down to "caveat emptor" - let the buyer beware. i think everyone could use a course in how to buy a new car, but more likely than not most people go to the dealer and get raped.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^Cut and paste, huh? That's messed up....sneaky, sneaky. I get my info on prices for both dealership "cost" and "MSRP" from USAA on their car building website. Then, when I asked the dealer what their "cost" was, they showed me on paper the exact same price as the price USAA showed me. Glad that worked out...even though I'm sure my dealer probably paid less than that.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #13
cz

Drives: black lincoln ls 02
Location: in Iraq at the moment stationed in WA. state but from montgomery al
thanks 4 the tips
cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Internet age boys and girls. General car buying tips:

Go to Edmunds or KBB and get your invoice price and any incentives. Contact 3-5 dealers in your area with the specific options you want and ask them how much below invoice can they give you (minus any incentives). One or more will usually give you the price you want. By the time you walk into the dealer you already have the price in email of your car and your financing already in hand. Then its just sign and drive. Unless you have a trade-in and then get ready to haggle (check it’s value at KBB or Edmunds or a Carmax if you have one near you).

I’ve purchased my last 3 cars via the internet and always gotten below invoice and had the price in hand before entering the dealer.

If you come into a dealer not knowing/having all of these things you are looking to get robbed:

1. Invoice including destination of the car
2. Current incentives including marketing support, cash to customer or finance rates
3. Your own approved financing (local bank or online bank check like capitalone.com)
4. Trade-in value of your car on KBB, Edmunds, Carmax, NADA, price your vehicle is selling locally at dealers (bargaining point).
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote