Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Pay It Forward and Free Give Aways

Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
murdered

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Ann. Edition
Exclamation Avoiding Paypal fees

Wasn't sure what section to put this in, but if you want to avoid fees when paying with Paypal, select "personal" and then "payment owed" when picking what the payment is for. That will remove the ~3.5% payment fee they tack on, and everyone saves money.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
yeah and then they don't cover it if you paid for something and it doesn't come in the condition stated. The only way they cover something is if you pay the paypal fee.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Yep, so you'll send it as a gift. They don't send the item and you have no recourse. All they have to do is say "it was a gift"

It's a good thing to know how to do though if you're doing business with someone you know or trust.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I've done that with the past few transactions I've conducted. Of course those who were dealing with me knew I was LEO and a regular on the boards and have a spotless iTrader rating. I've had some on here that wanted to buy and they had serious red flags like no post, no info on them and they requested info that didn't pertain to the item I was selling, also asking if they could have someone come inspect the part before they made good on the payment. I don't think so, homey don't play that!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
I've sent all my payments to members of this forum through "Gift" or "Payment Owed", but then again I've only bought from reputable people.

Another big reason I think new members (100 posts or less) shouldn't be allowed to buy or sell in the marketplace. It would basically stop all scammers from signing up and ripping people off in there 10th post. Obviously buyers should use discretion when purchasing but that would help.

I don't know how hard it would be to set up for a forum, but there is a way to lock a member out of certain areas within certain parameters (100 posts or more)
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfarley View Post
I've sent all my payments to members of this forum through "Gift" or "Payment Owed", but then again I've only bought from reputable people.

Another big reason I think new members (100 posts or less) shouldn't be allowed to buy or sell in the marketplace. It would basically stop all scammers from signing up and ripping people off in there 10th post. Obviously buyers should use discretion when purchasing but that would help.

I don't know how hard it would be to set up for a forum, but there is a way to lock a member out of certain areas within certain parameters (100 posts or more)
Thats up to the seller and buyers themselves. If they don't think its a reputable person or don't want to sell to someone that doesn't have many posts or hasn't been around very long thats on them. The forum clearly states that Camaro5 is not responsible for the transactions, so there is no point in putting such restriction on it as it is up to the sellers to decide who and who not to sell to. Just my opinion though.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
If it's a PIF item I don't see the problem with paying as a gift, because most of the time the item is FREE, and you're just covering shipping. If you want to file a dispute against someone that gave you a free item at just the cost of shipping because you aren't happy with it, that's pretty stupid imo. Now if it never shows up period, I can see the problem with that.

That said, I've had quite a few members in the classified section ask me to pay as a gift to avoid the fees. I usually tell them I will just add the 3% to the cost that I am paying them to cover the fees and pay as "Goods", just to cover my own butt... No one has had a problem with that yet. I could see doing that with a big item that would have expensive shipping in the PIF section, just add 3% to the shipping cost and pay as goods.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
500hpbluez28
YUDLOSE

Drives: Supercharged 2010 ABM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
If it's a PIF item I don't see the problem with paying as a gift, because most of the time the item is FREE, and you're just covering shipping. If you want to file a dispute against someone that gave you a free item at just the cost of shipping because you aren't happy with it, that's pretty stupid imo. Now if it never shows up period, I can see the problem with that.

That said, I've had quite a few members in the classified section ask me to pay as a gift to avoid the fees. I usually tell them I will just add the 3% to the cost that I am paying them to cover the fees and pay as "Goods", just to cover my own butt... No one has had a problem with that yet. I could see doing that with a big item that would have expensive shipping in the PIF section, just add 3% to the shipping cost and pay as goods.
Thats what I have been doing. Id rather pay the 3% more for the added security.

Trey Jenkins
2010 Supercharged ABM SS Camaro LS3 #400 Order Number: NJGC85 Build Date: 06/24/2009
1996 Blue Z/28 Camaro 396 stroker in the process
1994 Red Z/28 Camaro
500hpbluez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
Bboykaoz22

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
True
Bboykaoz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500hpbluez28 View Post
Thats what I have been doing. Id rather pay the 3% more for the added security.
Me too unless its from someone on here I see quite a bit, or sell's stuff all the time. I have paid "Gifted" to a few people (SSTG, 01pewterz28 etc..)
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
I tried that a while back and the person that said it was a gift didn't have to pay but the person receiving the item had to pay. Trust me PayPal is not going to do anything for free. They have definitely thought of this round about or they wouldn't still be in business.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
got adrenalin?
Cameo "Cammy" Car Camaro

Drives: 2LT/RS 45th 2012 Limited Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie RS View Post
I tried that a while back and the person that said it was a gift didn't have to pay but the person receiving the item had to pay. Trust me PayPal is not going to do anything for free. They have definitely thought of this round about or they wouldn't still be in business.
huh .. I just gifted someone money for a article and the exact amount is all paypal deducted from my account?? would the fee be listed somewhere else in my account?
I would refer someone to check out my e-bay rating if they had second thought about doing a transaction with me ... 500+ purchases with a 100% rating =)
got adrenalin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by got adrenalin? View Post
huh .. I just gifted someone money for a article and the exact amount is all paypal deducted from my account?? would the fee be listed somewhere else in my account?
I would refer someone to check out my e-bay rating if they had second thought about doing a transaction with me ... 500+ purchases with a 100% rating =)
You do not incur a fee for sending money... Only receiving it (if it's a purchase). I have never incurred a fee for receiving money as a gift.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #14
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by got adrenalin? View Post
I'm not saying you are not telling the truth. Just what has happened to me. I'm glad you did not get charged and I believe you do have a perfect rating. Sorry if that was implied, that was not my intention.

All I'm saying is why would PayPal do a transaction for free? They are a business to make money not give money away for free. Think about it, if you were PayPal would you let a transaction go through out of the kindness of you heart or charge someone for a transaction?

Last edited by Ozzie RS; 08-29-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Ozzie RS is offline   Reply With Quote