Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
HIDs in non-rs headlight burning housing?

Hey i got my camaro back in October 2009 and installed 8,000K HID bulbs into my non-rs headlight housings. Now, i put it away in storage the last week of november 2010 and i just took it out of storage last week. I noticed that on the inside of the headlight that there is a faint fog like, misty dirt kind of stuff around the outer edge....i havent tried to polish the headlamp yet so it just might be on the outside from driving but im just wondering if anybody who has the same setup as mine notice the same thing happening? because the last thing i need is the replace the headlamps!

Thanks
Corsa Catback, Injen Wrinkle Black Short Ram Intake, 8000k BI XENON Bulbs, LED Fog Bulbs, RX Oil Catch Can, VMax Black Ice-olater, CNC spiral ported Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, BBK LT Ceramic Silver Headers

TEAM LLT

Ordered: June 2009
Born: September 2009
Delivered: October 2009
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
erk5000

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to erk5000
Its nothing caused by the HID's. Most likely corrosion caused by oxygen.
erk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
rd-camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by erk5000 View Post
Its nothing caused by the HID's. Most likely corrosion caused by oxygen.

so soon though? i have had my camaro for only 1 year and 4 months....that is like nothing in car years lol
Corsa Catback, Injen Wrinkle Black Short Ram Intake, 8000k BI XENON Bulbs, LED Fog Bulbs, RX Oil Catch Can, VMax Black Ice-olater, CNC spiral ported Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, BBK LT Ceramic Silver Headers

TEAM LLT

Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I had HID bulbs for a good 9 mths will no issues at all. I don't think it's the bulbs. Post some pics if you can.

BTW: Halogen housings aren't that expensive. You can usually pick up a set of OEM take offs (both sides) for about $150. You can also get a brand new aftermarket one that is just as good as OEM for $90 to your door.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd-camaro View Post
so soon though? i have had my camaro for only 1 year and 4 months....that is like nothing in car years lol
Just brainstorming here but maybe you didn't get your bulb twisted back in place all the way and it has allowed some moisture to get into the housing.

Maybe you can take out the bulb and let it sit outside in the sun for a little while?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
rd-camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Just brainstorming here but maybe you didn't get your bulb twisted back in place all the way and it has allowed some moisture to get into the housing.

Maybe you can take out the bulb and let it sit outside in the sun for a little while?
hmmmmm thats very possible. i didnt think of that. i will have to check it out. i still have it in the garage with a cover on it so i could do that.

TEAM LLT