Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Mungo

Drives: trans am
MUFFLER DELETE

I've read that some of you guys have installed a Tru-X-pipe with a muffler delete. Is this a package from after market exhaust companies that delete the muffler? I've heard the one on the guys commercial and it sounds great. Any info would be appreciated.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
I've read that some of you guys have installed a Tru-X-pipe with a muffler delete. Is this a package from after market exhaust companies that delete the muffler? I've heard the one on the guys commercial and it sounds great. Any info would be appreciated.
You can get the muffler removed and replaced with a straight pipe at a muffler shop. Cheaper than a pre-made muffler delete. The x pipe can be bought aftermarket.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Mungo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missile Man View Post
You can get the muffler removed and replaced with a straight pipe at a muffler shop. Cheaper than a pre-made muffler delete. The x pipe can be bought aftermarket.
Thanks. Have you heard one that this was done on? Does it sound that good? My concern is a drone at highway speed. Would that be the case with this setup?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
The ones that i have heard sound pretty good, but you will have ALLOT louder popping sound off throttle coasting.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Days75

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS A6
I think the throttle popping all depends on how they run the pipes, I had my mufflers cut off and I have hardly any popping at all. I absolutely love the sound of the delete and so glad it only cost 80$ to do it.
Days75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
Thanks. Have you heard one that this was done on? Does it sound that good? My concern is a drone at highway speed. Would that be the case with this setup?
A friend has the muffler delete and it's a little louder than my SLP LM II axle-back. I don't know there is or isn't a drone with the muffler delete while driving. I have drone with my setup being an automatic. The overall SLP LM II sound makes the drone tolerable. I can manage the drone with the tap shift.

I can bolt the stock mufflers back on where the SLP LM II bolts on. If you get a muffler delete, have them use a sizsaw to cut off the stock mufflers and use clamps to join the two half's. I cut the exhaust pipe about 1.75 inches from the muffler(s) on the engine side. Hope this helps.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
I did the muffler delete. I like the sound. A little drone, but it is tolerable after you get used to it. It is mostly noticeable if you are driving without the radio on.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
JuicedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6
I did the muffler delete and added a magnaflow tru-x pipe. I think it sounds great. It is definitely louder than stock, but not obnoxious. I commute 100 miles a day, and at cruising speeds the exhaust is barely audible. Also, I have not noticed any drone. However, there is increased popping on decel, but I think that is generally the case with the majority of aftermarket systems on these cars.

I highly recommend this setup if you want a great sounding exhaust at a very affordable price.I purchased the x-pipe from summit for around $90.00, and had my local exhaust shop weld everything up for another $150.00.

Here is a video of BLACK10's car with the exact same exhaust as mine. His exhaust is what sold me on this set up...
JuicedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicedSS View Post
I did the muffler delete and added a magnaflow tru-x pipe. I think it sounds great. It is definitely louder than stock, but not obnoxious. I commute 100 miles a day, and at cruising speeds the exhaust is barely audible. Also, I have not noticed any drone. However, there is increased popping on decel, but I think that is generally the case with the majority of aftermarket systems on these cars.

I highly recommend this setup if you want a great sounding exhaust at a very affordable price.I purchased the x-pipe from summit for around $90.00, and had my local exhaust shop weld everything up for another $150.00.

Here is a video of BLACK10's car with the exact same exhaust as mine. His exhaust is what sold me on this set up...
I plan on going the muffler delete option as well. Did you get stainless pipes? Also, I not that up on what the X-Pipe is supposed to help do can you tell me how it helps. Can you give me a link to the x-pipe you bought? Thanks

Last edited by towmoe; 09-27-2009 at 11:36 AM.
towmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
DON GIOVANNI

Drives: BLACK/BLACK 2SS RS GFX
Would a muffler delete and full ARH setup be over kill? Would that be toooo loud?
DON GIOVANNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
JuicedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by towmoe View Post
I plan on going the muffler delete option as well. Did you get stainless pipes? Also, I not that up on what the X-Pipe is supposed to help do can you tell me how it helps. Can you give me a link to the x-pipe you bought? Thanks
I went with aluminized steel as there were not any shops in my area capable of mandrel bending stainless exhaust pipe. Basically, an X-pipe is a cross over pipe that is designed to balance exhaust flow/sound between the two banks of the engine. The factory exhaust utilizes an h-pipe cross over system. An x-pipe is supposed to make more horsepower as it arguably has a better scavenging effect on the exhaust gases. An x-pipe also has a different sound than an h-pipe. Here the link to the x-pipe- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10791/
Old 09-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
JuicedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GIOVANNI View Post
Would a muffler delete and full ARH setup be over kill? Would that be toooo loud?
I think if you had the off road version without cats then it would be very loud. I plan on getting long tubes with high flow cats. If it is too loud, I will either have some mufflers welded or just buy an axle back system.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicedSS View Post
I went with aluminized steel as there were not any shops in my area capable of mandrel bending stainless exhaust pipe. Basically, an X-pipe is a cross over pipe that is designed to balance exhaust flow/sound between the two banks of the engine. The factory exhaust utilizes an h-pipe cross over system. An x-pipe is supposed to make more horsepower as it arguably has a better scavenging effect on the exhaust gases. An x-pipe also has a different sound than an h-pipe. Here the link to the x-pipe- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10791/
Thanks!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
Mungo

Thank you all for the info. It was very helpful.