Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
CamaroDan

Drives: 2007 dodge charger
NEED INFO ON MODS?

How can I mod a 2ss and still keep a warrenty for 3yrs?
I want to put a supercharger on it and an exhaust trying to get to
550to600 hp without voiding the warrenty. is this possible?

thnx
CamaroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
supercharger & keeping the full warranty don't go in the same sentence. sorry, bud
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
I am sure Lingenfelter has a warranty that goes along with there SC setup.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
CamaroDan

Drives: 2007 dodge charger
zr1 has a supercharger and it has a warrenty.
CamaroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
GM warranties their work,.....not yours. The other companies such as Lingenfelter warranty their mod work....but you lose your GM warranty when you do major upgrades to the motor like S/C...T/C yourself or local shop
Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDan View Post
zr1 has a supercharger and it has a warrenty.
Yes that is because it is made by GM, if you put a supercharger from company X on your Camaro it will void the warranty.
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:06 AM   #7
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
The warranty isn't Voided. IF a part fails and the dealership can prove or suspects that the modification, no matter what it is; (i.e radio, short throw shifter, oversized tires) they COULD choose not warranty the repair and its up to you to foot the bill.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #8
SAUCE

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS BLKonBLK
Im goin to say that the only mods that will not affect the warrenty are CAI and Exhaust.

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
U/D Pully's, headers, exhaust, CAI, tune. You should be good.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:12 AM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Doesn't full headers Void parts of the warranty due moving O2 sensors and such???
Old 05-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
In the USA, review the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

Maybe this could be a sticky note ?

- SK
- Good money, bad girls. How can life be any better?
- God saves. The devil invests.

- This may be the ultimate guide to problem solving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
it's not a WD-40 problem, so it's got to be a duct tape problem
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
Super Sport

Drives: Mazda 3 GS 2008.5
I don't see what Magnusson-Ross has to do with any of this. The moment you tamper with the factory work you are liable to have your warranty voided, especially if it can be proven that whatever parts have failed are related to whatever tampering you may have done. Something rudimentary like doing your oil change yourself, not putting enough oil in or not tightening the filter correctly (and consequently having oil pissing all over the place), and then going in because of heat damage in your engine block can void your warranty.

Alot of things can void your warranty and for the record, Magnusson-Ross is only there to make sure the written warranty is comprehensible for anyone and everyone. The other parts of the act are minor and often overlooked by courts. Remember that 90% of law is based on the interpretation of the court which will vary greatly according to who is presiding and what level of government is overseeing the affair.

In short, if you supercharge your engine to 600whp, you will have your warranty voided if something breaks and even if you remove it, they will find out and even worse you could be prosecuted for trying to con them.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
Jonmalibuss

Drives: 2005 Silverado VHO
Send a message via AIM to Jonmalibuss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
U/D Pully's, headers, exhaust, CAI, tune. You should be good.
Not anymore! If you have a drivetrain failure (engine, trans, rear diff...) As of May 18th they are now required to verify that the ecu has not been recalibrated and show proof. If the dealer finds that it has been reflashed with a non gm calibration they will void the powertrain warranty before they start any work on your vehicle! Trust me I just slipped in under this one and found this out today! I had a valve spring break and drop the valve which all went to hell from there and wound up with a very large hole in the block. I got approved on the 14th for a new engine which arrived on the 15th and it's now running again. The dealer told me had this happened any later I would have been buying this one.

2005 Silverado VHO: Outlaw intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Belltech drop, 4.11 gears with Eaton LSD, Baer brakes 15" up front with 6 piston calipers, drum to disk 14" conversion for the rear, IForged 22"x10" 2 piece wheels, probably many more mods which I have missed...
Soon to be 2010-2011 Camaro SS/RS This is if the truck is worth trading in or I get it paid off!
Jonmalibuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
SilverBulletSS

Drives: 2004 R/Cab F-150
After working in a Ford and Dodge dealership for 4-5 years in the aftermarket department....I will just say this. Be prepared for your warranty to be voided if its not a factory part that is factory installed OR if its a GM/Ford/Dodge part that is installed by a dealer certified installer and the part must come with its OWN warranty from GM/Ford/Dodge. This will be the only way you will have a fighting chance with or without the Magnuson-Moss Act....