Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
madbee1993

Drives: 2013 camaro 1lt
I need some clarification

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions. I am a proud owner of a 2013 camaro 1lt. The car is great so far, I have no complaints! So far I blacked out my wing, tail lights and bezels, all emblems, and the rims. The only thing I did to the exhaust was chop off the turtle shells or mufflers (not sure what they are called) I replaced them with straight pipe. This mod made the car sound awesome! Ill slowly get up to 3500-4000 rpm and let off the gas and a series of aggressive pops come out. I think it sounds great. That's all I have done so far. now for the questions:
1. Is my current exhaust set up considered a straight pipe?
2. By removing the turtle shells do you compromise backpressure resulting in the loss of hp/tq?
3. If I plan on running a tt kit should I purchase the solo performance high flow cats?
4. In order to run rs halo lights what will I need? I already havw the actual halo lights. I bought one for 350 and the other one for 320. I believe it was a good deal considering the fact that they are in perfect condition.
5. Are the popping sounds I am experiencing bad? I really like the sound and would like to know what I can do to maximize these pops?
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you
madbee1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbee1993 View Post
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions. I am a proud owner of a 2013 camaro 1lt. The car is great so far, I have no complaints! So far I blacked out my wing, tail lights and bezels, all emblems, and the rims. The only thing I did to the exhaust was chop off the turtle shells or mufflers (not sure what they are called) I replaced them with straight pipe. This mod made the car sound awesome! Ill slowly get up to 3500-4000 rpm and let off the gas and a series of aggressive pops come out. I think it sounds great. That's all I have done so far. now for the questions:
1. Is my current exhaust set up considered a straight pipe?
2. By removing the turtle shells do you compromise backpressure resulting in the loss of hp/tq?
3. If I plan on running a tt kit should I purchase the solo performance high flow cats?
4. In order to run rs halo lights what will I need? I already havw the actual halo lights. I bought one for 350 and the other one for 320. I believe it was a good deal considering the fact that they are in perfect condition.
5. Are the popping sounds I am experiencing bad? I really like the sound and would like to know what I can do to maximize these pops?
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you

1. Yes, if you removed the mufflers it is considered straight pipes.
2. I myself can't answer this one, it is debatable.
3. Don't think it would be necessary. If money isn't an object and you want the exhaust to flow free with the TT's it might help.
4. Search the forums, I have no answer on this one.
5. I don't think so. The reason you hear the pop is because it is not being forced out of the exhaust when you are under acceleration. Back in the day we called it rap. I don't mean to knock your set up but to me rap does not sound good in the V6. But that is just my perception.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
1) Yes
2) No.
3) Yes high flow cats would be a good idea if you're installing a twin-turbo kit
4) You need this harness from Gen5 DIY - http://www.gen5diy.com/PnP_harnesses...dlight-harness

5) No, the popping sounds are the ECM cutting fuel as you decelerate. Completely normal.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Madbee, take a look at my signature. Look familiar? I think I was next to you in traffic yesterday.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
madbee1993

Drives: 2013 camaro 1lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
1) Yes
2) No.
3) Yes high flow cats would be a good idea if you're installing a twin-turbo kit
4) You need this harness from Gen5 DIY - http://www.gen5diy.com/PnP_harnesses...dlight-harness

5) No, the popping sounds are the ECM cutting fuel as you decelerate. Completely normal.
@ The Stig thanks for the info on where to get the harness. Many people were saying I did not need one. I wanted to be sure before I took off my front end. Also do you know what needs to be done to maximize the pops? I'm gonna try and upload a video showing my exhaust note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Madbee, take a look at my signature. Look familiar? I think I was next to you in traffic yesterday.

John B.
@johnnybfrompeoria where were you traveling yesterday I think I saw you too. Or someone with resembling rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
1. Yes, if you removed the mufflers it is considered straight pipes.
2. I myself can't answer this one, it is debatable.
3. Don't think it would be necessary. If money isn't an object and you want the exhaust to flow free with the TT's it might help.
4. Search the forums, I have no answer on this one.
5. I don't think so. The reason you hear the pop is because it is not being forced out of the exhaust when you are under acceleration. Back in the day we called it rap. I don't mean to knock your set up but to me rap does not sound good in the V6. But that is just my perception.

Dean.
@skibik ill upload a vid of the exhaust note it sounds good and it gets a ton of compliments. Last week I had a little free time and took off the cats just to play around. It sounded like a train lol. Very aggressive note just too loud almost deffening. After a series of aggressive revs my cel came on. I got scared and put them on quick. I wouldn't recommend doing it because you get no backpressure. It was fun though.
madbee1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
@skibik ill upload a vid of the exhaust note it sounds good and it gets a ton of compliments. Last week I had a little free time and took off the cats just to play around. It sounded like a train lol. Very aggressive note just too loud almost deffening. After a series of aggressive revs my cel came on. I got scared and put them on quick. I wouldn't recommend doing it because you get no backpressure. It was fun though.

I don't think you had the cats off. If you did you were running the exhaust straight out the head. Unless you cut them out then welded them back in you had it disconnected at the first joint which are the resonators and yes it will be loud. No need for the clip just for me to hear it. Plenty on the web already. Post if you wish though. But let me rephrase that, I don't like the popping sound you get from the V6 when coasting to get the rap, it just sounds goofy to me, again JMO. Now back in the early 80's I road around in a Pontiac LeMans that had straight exhaust on a 454 now that sounds bad ass to me. But back then that set up got my friend an exhibition driving ticket for letting off the exhaust and letting it rap.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Rafael205

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Here's an awesome thread for the RS Headlight installation. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266537
Rafael205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
@johnnybfrompeoria where were you traveling yesterday I think I saw you too. Or someone with resembling rims.
I can't even remember what I had for breakfast! I drive for work, so I'm all over the place. Just remember seeing an LS without the trim rings on the Heritage wheels, I think I remember the car as being orange.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote