Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
Dingus

Drives: 2011 2SS LS3
Car Covers

I'm looking for a good outdoor cover for the upcoming winter. My car will be outside and I would like to keep the ice and snow off it as much as possible. I've been looking at the GM factory covers but not sure if they are waterproof. Can any tell me if they are or if there are better waterproof covers out there. I'd be interested in buying a used cover too if anyone has one that they are no longer needing. Thanks in advance for your help!
Dingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I got mine (Cover King) from here:

http://www.autoanything.com/car-cove...roof-car-cover

Use coupon code CC30 and get $30 off and free shipping...

I got the storm proof version. Comes with a decent 'bag' put it up when finished using it -- LIGHT too...

I got mine with black and burgundy. Very nice -- very few stitches to scratch and fits almost to the ground to cover the wheels nicely.

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Dingus

Thanks Don. That cover looks nice.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

I like it and it does a great job. Now of course I'm in Texas so we don't get a lot of bad weather but I did get this one for the occasional ice storm. Another member on the forum has one (he is in the north east) and liked it a lot.

-Don
Old 10-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
This for storage use or daily?
Old 10-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Mine can be used for both, if your asking me about mine...
Old 10-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Mine can be used for both, if your asking me about mine...
I'm speaking from the detailing side of car covers. For storage use they are great as long as the car is clean when the cover is put on.

If used daily on a dirty car, even a light dust, can create swirls faster than you can imagine. If you are not concerned about swirls, by all means use it, but car covers are essentially dragging and grinding in what ever particles are already left on the surface of the car.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Yes, I always clean mine first. Dry wash @ a minimum. If it's really dirty out I'll keep it off until I clean it. You are absolutely right not to put this on when car is dirty...

-Don
Old 10-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
Dingus

Thanks Guys. I was looking for some protection when the weather gets bad in PA. I'm not looking to cover the car every day. I wasn't planning on storing or parking the car for the winter but after hearing what you are saying about covering it dirty I'm having second thoughts about the cover. I was thinking I could cover the car when a storm was coming but I don't think I will have the opportunity to wash it before every storm. I might be better off just letting the snow fall on the car. Winter sucks.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
You're always better off letting the snow fall on the car. The trick then is getting it off the car when you want to drive.

Best way is to start the car and let as much melt off as possible. Then use your hand to gently wipe the remainder off. Brushes are a major no no.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
got this one this past spring, they renamed it platinum but it is the same one. will use it starting in about mid November
http://www.carcovers.com/covers/cars...011/coupe.html

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #12
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
got this one this past spring, they renamed it platinum but it is the same one. will use it starting in about mid November
http://www.carcovers.com/covers/cars...011/coupe.html
I just returned one I bought from Empire Covers that was made like this one. It was made from nice material and had a microfiber lining, but it was essentially a big bag. It did not have mirror pockets and while it was listed as being for a gen5 Camaro it did not fit like I wanted. If it is not a custom fit cover it will be hard to keep on in the wind. If I'm at work and the wind comes up, I can't get home to get it off.

I have had the GM outdoor cover and it fit good, but water leaked through it. I have a Cover King now and it was good for a while but now leaks. I think I will replace it with another of the same brand but upgrade to a better quality.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote