Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

View Poll Results: Estimate WHP after GPI mods/tune. Sitting at 390 w/ LTH, HiFlo cats, vararam cai.
<450 0 0%
450-475 0 0%
475-500 3 75.00%
500+ 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #1
Armyavi8r

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
GPI Build Journey

Hi all. I wanted to provide a rundown of my experience with GPI and subsequent updates as the car goes in to their shop (at their new location) next month. I've been working with James who has been outstanding in answering all my questions (which have been many) and getting me lined out on a solid build plan. I'm fortunate to live near GPI, and as a military member, I get a great discount on parts and labor.

I have a 2010 2SS/RS A6 so an L99 motor. I bought it in March with 52k miles, private sale original owner, bone stock. I bought it after my 2011 RS that I had for 3 years was totalled by a red light runner in North Little Rock. While I loved that car, often I wished I had opted for a V8.

I originally called GPI in May to inquire about installing long tube headers and a tune but they were booked out over a month, so I went with Arkansas Perfomance Exhaust who did a great job with the install and tune. I personally added a Vararam CAI w/ Power Wedge and a Soler 95mm ported throttle body.

After reading many of the discussion threads here and FB posts, I figured out why GPI was booked out over a month- they are in high demand and nationally renowned for their cams and porting services. So I stopped in to talk mods for the car.

As many of you can well understand, my initial plan has changed as I have researched, talked to fellow Camaro owners and of course, conferred with James at GPI. The goal remains the same- a daily driver with respectable power and performance, but staying NA.

In my initial discussion, I was intent on a cam upgrade and a few additional little things. I had a budget in mind and wanted to stay within that. Of course, then there's the inevitable snowball....

So now, the car will go in to GPI mid-August. Below is the list of planned mods:

-GPI Stage 3 VVT cam with AFM delete
-Johnson lifters
-CHE trunnions
-GPI ported cylinder heads
-GPI ported Rod Mod
-Circle D 4C 3600-3800 stall
-AAM 3.91 gear
-Derale Xmsn cooler
-Mishimoto baffled catch can
-Powerbond underdrive pulley

I arrived at this list incrementally as I read, learned and discussed with members on here, etc.

Of course a GPI tune and dyno will follow. James will be providing updates to me as the work progresses and I will post them here.

This is my first major modification to a car. I know there are a lot of people out there in the same boat so I thought I'd share my experience. Many of you will frown on me for not doing the work myself. Well, I'm not a great mechanic for starters, I gave up my garage to be a gymnastics area for my kids and of course, this list of work is pretty involved. My enjoyment comes more from driving a well maintained machine (much like the Army aircraft I fly).

I'm interested to know what you think about the mods. I'm already over budget so not adding to this list, but in the future, I'll do chassy upgrades, etc.

I'll keep you posted as the work gets underway.
Attached Images

2010 2SS/RS A6. GPI SS3 VVT Cam, 228/246 / AFM Delete / Circle D 4C 36-3800 Stall / Stainless Works LTHs, High Flow Cats, X-pipe, Borla Pro XS Mufflers and Quad Tips / Vararam CAI / Soler 95mm PTB / AAM 3.91 gear / GPI Ported Heads / GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake Manifold/ Smith Bros. Trunnions / GPI 5/16" hardened push rods, 7.425"/ Chevrolet Racing Lifters / Melling 10355 Oil Pump / Powermaster XS Torque Starter / Derale Xmsn Cooler / 1LE Suspension Upgrade System / BMR Strut Tower Brace, Trailing Arms and Toe Rods / Powerbond 25% UDP / Mishimoto catch can / iDatalink Maestro.
Armyavi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #2
Clyde Buenvides

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS
There is something about the black and white photo that makes it so beautiful. Thanks for sharing this build journey of yours.
Clyde Buenvides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:14 AM   #3
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Yeah that's a nice looking ride. I love the stripes
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:37 AM   #4
Armyavi8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Yeah that's a nice looking ride. I love the stripes
Thanks Joe, your car is beautiful!
2010 2SS/RS A6. GPI SS3 VVT Cam, 228/246 / AFM Delete / Circle D 4C 36-3800 Stall / Stainless Works LTHs, High Flow Cats, X-pipe, Borla Pro XS Mufflers and Quad Tips / Vararam CAI / Soler 95mm PTB / AAM 3.91 gear / GPI Ported Heads / GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake Manifold/ Smith Bros. Trunnions / GPI 5/16" hardened push rods, 7.425"/ Chevrolet Racing Lifters / Melling 10355 Oil Pump / Powermaster XS Torque Starter / Derale Xmsn Cooler / 1LE Suspension Upgrade System / BMR Strut Tower Brace, Trailing Arms and Toe Rods / Powerbond 25% UDP / Mishimoto catch can / iDatalink Maestro.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
Armyavi8r

New badge in anticipation of what's to come in two weeks. Stopped by GPI today, they are getting ready to move to their new location. Current shop has no AC
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #6
Armyavi8r

Ok, she's in GPI's capable hands now
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #7
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I know you’re excited good luck with everything.
I’ve been waiting on my appointment with complete street since feb the suspense is the worst lol
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:24 PM   #8
Armyavi8r

Build Update.

Ok, all the work is done, tuned and running great!!! Dyno numbers were definitely underwhelming (435 / 404) which was very surprising; really thought it would have hit 450 at a minimum. However, I didn't do the work for dyno numbers, I did it all for the drive and it drives AMAZING!

A word about GPI. These guys are absolutely awesome! Answered all my questions, worked with me extensively on the build. Were responsive, flexible and helpful and we didn't blow out the budget. They are in a new facility a few miles from the original location and let me just say, it is an amazing facility! And it has air conditioning (the old place did not).

So my observations now that I've driven it a few days-

Drivability: If you are a first-time cam driver like me, you know you'll see a change when you go from stock cam to a stage 3. In short, she isn't a fan of anything under 20mph but really doesn't do too badly. With the 36-3800 stall, she really pulls at the reins and want to run, but GPI tuned it to be manageable in traffic. So it's noticeable, but really not problematic at low speeds. At anything above 20, she just plows thru shift-points smoothly. On decel from 50 down to 20 mph, you can definitely feel the lope as RPMs jump and come down. Again, not a problem, but noticeable.

0-60: Holy crap! That's just fun as hell. It's a completely different car! You really get pulled back in the seat as you hang on to this rocket.

60 and 100 pulls: Holy crap! Gets on it NOW and goes from 60 to 80 to 100 in the time it takes to look from spedo to tacho and back. I fear I'm going to get a high-speed driving award from LE really soon, LoL.

MPG: Ok. Big difference here in town. I'm seeing basically 9-10 mpg so if fuel economy is very important to you, don't get a stage 3 cam, LoL. That said, on the highway at 55mph she's showing about 21mpg and at 80mph she shows about 20mpg so that's not too far off of stock.

Sound: First I'll say that the cam chop definitely grows on you and now I just think it sounds awesome! Ok, I made a decision on the previous exhaust build to be a little less aggressive on the sound. I have LTH w/ high flow cats, X-pipe (res delete) and stock mufflers. My observation is that it has a nice deep, powerful growl on starting, definitely announces it's presence to the guy in the other lane at a stop light. However, it's not raspy or ear-splitting, it just sounds perfect. It's loud when I want it to be (passing a Mopar or 'stang) but when cruising along not WOT, you really don't notice it- no mind-numbing drone. But you do hear any appreciable application of throttle. I'll post a couple videos.

Back to the Dyno. Yeah I hoped for at least 450whp, but that said she drives exactly how I hoped when I decided to mod her. She was the first car on the dyno after GPI moved to the new location so not sure if there may have been an equipment calibration issue. I'll put her back on in a few weeks as we tweak a few things (surges occasionally after a warm start at idle). Lesson here is that unless your goal is making numbers on a dyno sheet, don't get too caught up in the numbers. Enjoy the drive!

Next step will be some undercarriage and chassy upgrades. The goal will be better stability on acceleration and handling in the curves. Very interested to hear recommendations. She not going to spend any time at the track (ok maybe a few runs). Just out and about mainly.

I hope this is helpful, especially for those like me who are doing their first cam.

Cheers!
Old 01-20-2022, 10:03 AM   #9
Ryshan

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Awesome review! I'm taking my car in mid May for a tune. I have a 14 L99 and my goal is to one day take it back up there for a stage 3 vvt cam. I'll be getting the TB ported and manifold mod/port. Hoping to make anywhere near 400 to the tire, which is very hopeful but have seen a handful of others make similar power with the same mods tuned by GPI.
Ryshan is offline   Reply With Quote