Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #15
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
if you went deep enough in the motor to replace lifters i would have gone all out and did a cam dod and vvt delete.too many bad lifter horror stories.some guys go 200k no problems other have nothing but problems there is no rhyme or reason to it.i
back in the day if you got a 70 chevelle you had engine options 396 ls5 454 ls6 454,i wish gm did that on the g5 ls3 with the auto would have been a nice choice
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #16
Warship2k15

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbassking View Post
So no suggestions? I didn't mean for this to turn into a discussion on whether or not the have AFM.
Well I think the suggestion everyone is saying is to get rid of the AFM.
I have a 2010 that rattles when first started due to the AFM lifters but it goes away soon after.So I’m going to have it tuned out.
When I decide to change cams or a lifter actually goes bad I will delete it.
Warship2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #17
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Who's idea was it to use AFM lifters in a cammed engine?
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:19 PM   #18
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbassking View Post
So no suggestions? I didn't mean for this to turn into a discussion on whether or not the have AFM.
What everyone is getting at is AFM does not improve your gas mileage and they are notorious for failing. If you have to do it again, get it tuned out and get rid of them or you will keep having issues.

As for your issue, is it rattle or a tick. When you cold start it if it's a notable "tick tick tick tick" that is the AFM lifters and they always make that noise at start up so it's possible that is normal, remember long tube headers, especially with no cats, magnifies engine noise. If it's a rattle, you may have a more serious issue on your hands such as pieces of the bad lifter could have fell into the engine wrecking havoc on the internals. If you went through 3 quarts of oil that fast, you have a more serious issue than a lifter
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #19
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
So, I have to ask, why isn't the car tuned for the longtubes and no cats?

Oh, and...is the car tuned to turn off DoD/AFM?

What mileage are you getting?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #20
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Damn, I get 9.9mpg

And I am totally fine with that! Car go vrooom.
You must live your life a 1/4-mile at a time,

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:12 AM   #21
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Nobody can diagnose your car through the cloud. You have two major issues that need to be root caused, and not just parts swapped. Why is it burning oil? PCV, valve cover breathing or mechanical...blue smoke under WOT or decal? Cranking compression and leak down? Running compression. Running compression is a good test to see if an AFM lifter
is collapsed. The noise - get out a mechanic's stethoscope. Cancel cylinders.... DTCs.

There are plenty of possibilities for a lifter issue. Oil manifold issue in the valley. Was the lifter bores measured top to bottom, looked at with a scope. That lifter bore to lifter clearance is critical. Many wipe out a lifter or cam lobe, tearing up that lifter bore... then just put a new lifter in. Not going to last. Were the cam lobes looked at very closely with a high res scope camera? Were all new buckets put in.

An LS depends on - lifter to lifter bore clearance to be perfect, lifter buckets to be fresh and tight, the oil manifold to be functioning properly, screen to the oil manifold (back by the oil pressure sensor) not to be plugged with debris. Has that oil screen been checked?

If it were me... pull motor, total rebuild without AFM this time. You're making noises and burning massive amounts of oil. Nobody is going to be able to tell you - replace this and it all goes away. Needs to be rebuilt and built right by experienced tech. It's been apart several times and not resolved, time for a new approach.

If you are the one fan of AFM out there, research how it works and root cause why yours keeps having issues. It needs perfectly filtered oil, through the screen, through the oil manifold... through perfectly fit lifters to lifter bores which are tight in their plastic buckets.... If you have to have AFM for some reason - replace all that stuff in your rebuild.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #22
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Get rid of AFM is the best solution, I seriously doubt you'll notice much of a fuel mileage difference, it is a garbage system that is riddled with problems on all of GM's V8's. VLOM is usually the cause. Just get rid of all of it. Seriously I so warranty claims for 60 dealerships and they are constantly changing vloms and the afm lifters. There was a bulletin for an updated valve cover and a deflector in the oil pan but I don't think it applies to 2015.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #23
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Before you do anything major check your oil & filter for metal. You might want to go as far as having the oil analyzed even if you don't see any big particles.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #24
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Here's the TSB on AFM lifters.

As you can see, there was a design change. Did you replace the old lifters with the better design?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf AFM Lifter TSB.pdf (228.0 KB, 135 views)
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #25
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Before you do anything major check your oil & filter for metal. You might want to go as far as having the oil analyzed even if you don't see any big particles.
Lubesite will generally do this for cheap or even free. One can call them and they will give you a list of distributors in your town you can take a sample to. We do it but have to charge but some places don't. Just call the distributor first as they will want you to bring in a sample in their approved container.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #26
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Bail the lifters for sure and delete the AFM. You will hardly notice a difference in fuel economy. This will at least solve that issue
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #27
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
As far as oil consumption you may have stuck rings. There is a cleaning procedure but it may need pistons/rings.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #28
blewbyyou

Drives: Dusk SE
range and lifter issues

just curious do these lifters fail when they are not used all the time or when the AFM is active and kicks in deactivating those lifters ? Has anyone that uses a Range device which keeps these lifters active all the time had any lifter issues?