Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its one of those things where 'just because you can, doesn't mean you should'

The problem is less the compression ratio (which isn't that high for a naturally aspirated engine) is that when you take a block with 4.4" bore centre, and then make a bunch of 4.125" holes in it (well, actually larger with the liners) you don't have a whole lot of material left over between adjacent cylinders. Thats the main reason why GM based the LSA & LS9 off of the 6.2L LS3 instead of the larger LS7. Can you supercharge is? Sure. Will it self destruct the instant you start it after installing the blower? Probably not. But if big power is your goal, you can go a long ways while staying naturally aspirated that put less stress on the engine. Side benefit: staying naturally aspirated keeps the weight down.
Pretty much that. Exactly what I was planning to post.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
Hennesseyrgv
CAMARO5LINE FOUNDER

Drives: Hennessey HPE650
Thanks alot for the advised . Now it make sense why the ZR1 doesnt have a bigger motor 7.0 and supercharged.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Yes remember it's a SB with BB CI.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I didn't read the whole thread but theres so much BS going on here, if you have questions about supercharging an LS7 don't ask Camaro owners. Yes the LS7 can be supercharged regardless of the sidewall or the pistons, no engine would like detonation.

You can easily run up to 8psi with the stock cam without having to worry about ANYTHING.

Second of all, the guy who said 11:1 CR forgot or perhaps doesn't understand that those numbers reflect static compression ratio only and the dynamic compression ratio is what you have to worry about, without doing the math I actually think theyre either dead even on DCR or the LS7 might even have a lower DCR im not sure.

The LS7 can easily make 650rwhp without breaking a sweat on the stock cam, drive like a stock car. The other way to make 600+ rwhp is to go overkill on the cam/head and the other bolt ons. For someone who wants to use his car on a road course, NA is preferable obviously and is also lighter and wont upset the cars weight balance.

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
ayousef

Quote:
Its one of those things where 'just because you can, doesn't mean you should'

The problem is less the compression ratio (which isn't that high for a naturally aspirated engine) is that when you take a block with 4.4" bore centre, and then make a bunch of 4.125" holes in it (well, actually larger with the liners) you don't have a whole lot of material left over between adjacent cylinders. Thats the main reason why GM based the LSA & LS9 off of the 6.2L LS3 instead of the larger LS7. Can you supercharge is? Sure. Will it self destruct the instant you start it after installing the blower? Probably not. But if big power is your goal, you can go a long ways while staying naturally aspirated that put less stress on the engine. Side benefit: staying naturally aspirated keeps the weight down.
can you please explain how ive owned 4 forced induction 427's with a 4.125 inch bore and haven't self destructed any?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes remember it's a SB with BB CI.
Exactly. That is why I kind of chuckle when people say that always wanted a 427 in the Camaro. While you are getting the CI you want in the LS7, it is still a small block....with very little room for a mistake (see the cylinder issues on the Corvette forums). I am not a hater, as I would love to have one, but this is not the late 60's 427's that had all kinds of CI without thin cylinder walls and high CC heads.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...anything can be done, and anyone will do it for you if you write the check. But ask yourself, why is the N/A motor being used in the Z/28? Ummmm, heck yeeeah....road course...track laps....it's meant for the twisties as it is. The car is wicked sick designed for the road course.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
can you please explain how ive owned 4 forced induction 427's with a 4.125 inch bore and haven't self destructed any?
Have they all been factory blocks or aftermarket?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
I don't know ... skilled builder, moderate power goals, haven't pushed them long/hard enough, good luck, or a combination of all the above? You would know such things far better than I would.

I never said that strapping a supercharger to the top of an LS7 is a guaranteed failure. In fact, I said that it probably wouldn't blow up the first time you ran it. Thats as far as I dared go when speculating on the longevity of such engines.

Overall though, I trust the engineers at General Motors when it comes to the sensibility of building a forced induction small block more than anyone else. If they say it isn't as good of a platform for forced induction than the 6.2 is, I'm going to believe them: they know more about these engines than anyone else does.

And as I said in the first line of my previous post: just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Let me put it in a couple other ways. There is a big difference between impossible & not recommended. An idea that works isn't always the best idea.

I know that there have been numerous supercharged LS7s done. My point is that to hit the same power levels with a Camaro engine, the best place to start is probably going to be the LSA.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #24
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Overall though, I trust the engineers at General Motors when it comes to the sensibility of building a forced induction small block more than anyone else. And as I said in the first line of my previous post: just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Let me put it in a couple other ways. There is a big difference between impossible & not recommended. An idea that works isn't always the best idea.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
ayousef

everytime you modify your car you are accepting THE risk that something might go wrong at any time. People have done 1000rwhp on stock LS7 block with the thin walls, yes they had forged pistons but im getting that the issue you guys are discussing is the cylinder wall thickness which makes it not ideal for boost.

There is absolutely no way you will crack an LS7 block with a little boost and a good tune

Old 12-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Yes, you can. Should you is a personal question. I'm certain some will add power, whether that be by s/c or other NA bolt ons. It happens with every make and model and I would not expect this Z to be any different.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #27
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennesseyrgv View Post
I have heard a lot of times that an Ls7 / 7.0 motor cant be or its not good to put a supercharger or procharged due to the motor been a high compression motor.
Is this true!!
But I do see supercharger kits for the Z06 vett.
With enough money, You do whatever you want with a car
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #28
Hennesseyrgv
CAMARO5LINE FOUNDER

Drives: Hennessey HPE650
Can some one come out with what will it take to make this LS7 supercharged. All the mods, if any.
Ill put down the money and time.
Some say yes (stock) with a moderate boost. Some say it has to be converted to low compression.
Some say the walls are to thin and with time of been supercharged, it will blow up