Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-03-2023, 07:03 PM   #1
tlamb2
WHPLSH

Drives: 2010 SS Maggie,ARH,Meth,AFE Coilove
I need a little advice on a cam

My car is a 2010 Camaro SS with a Maggie, Meth, CAI, ARH headers. I am looking for a cam for the car I was looking at the Brian Tooley PDS stage 2 or stage 3 torque supercharger camshaft. The guy said stage 2 has more power through mid-range and better driveability and stage 3 has about 20hp more on the top-end with less driveability. The car is not my daily but I don't want a car that is a pain to drive. So if anyone has any suggestions that would help a lot or another brand cam. I was gonna do the whole kit with a trunion upgrade no lifters no timing chain no oil pump already changed that. Thanks for your input. The car is a 6-speed manual with a Monster clutch and I just went thru the whole suspension Afe coilovers solid subframe bushings and so on.
Attached Images

Last edited by tlamb2; 11-03-2023 at 07:11 PM. Reason: More info
tlamb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:11 PM   #2
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Drivability is subjective, and its drivability is based on the tune with how well your tuner can smith everything out. Before I went centri I had a a big NA cam. Drove on an M6, and it was smooth as butter, even in 6th gear at low RPMs, it was fine. Also it really depends on where you're going to be driving around. Not like you're going to be in high RPMs a lot. I'd take more power in the mid range.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:27 PM   #3
tlamb2
WHPLSH

Yes, I was thinking that cause I do not spend much time at 6k RPM most is in the mid-range. Thanks
Old 11-04-2023, 01:49 AM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Personally, I would go with the “stage 2” cam… As was mentioned, drivability issues are subjective, but while I was honest with myself for a long time, we eventually got to a point it was easier to drive my Dually… My Camaro sat a lot, when I could have been out playing…

You can make pulley changes to pick up 20 HP, but putzing around with spotty brakes or weak power steering can’t be fixed with a pulley change… Or having to idle the engine so high to regain that… With an automatic, it may be tolerable, but with a manual, your legs will end up odd sized, from riding the clutch in traffic, or around parking lots, pit areas etc… Ask me how I know…

Is that “Monster” clutch an on / off switch… If so, you’ll likely end up cursing a big cam with drivability issues for 20 hp… I had an “Act” twin disc that was a literal on ‘ off switch… Sent it back for them to evaluate, same result… chucked it in the trash bin, and got a triple disc carbon clutch, the “Street Slayer” and graduated from that to a quad disc carbon clutch to meet my power levels…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:38 AM   #5
tlamb2
WHPLSH

I use to run an ACT clutch and it was junk. I got the Monster and never looked back
Old 11-05-2023, 01:00 AM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamb2 View Post
I use to run an ACT clutch and it was junk. I got the Monster and never looked back
I’ve never run a monster, but the rest of your statement is fact…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:59 AM   #7
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I just went through all this and have a very similar build. I went with the BTR stage 3 torque cam. And I’ve got the Monster twin disc. And yes, it can be a touchy clutch. That being said…I love the BTR stage 3 torque cam. The driveability is still very much there. Definitely needs a little more attention than a stock cam. But any cam would. I was ultimately worried about loosing too much bottom end with the stage 3 cam. And I can tell you that my worries evaporated as soon as I drove it. With the PD blower…the cam has a ton of low end power. 1st and 2nd gear are damn near useless with any sort of throttle roll on. Tires just spin.

All that being said, there are so many good cam choices out there. Probably can’t go wrong with the BTR stage 2 either. Good luck!
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:07 AM   #8
tlamb2
WHPLSH

Did you go with new lifters? or how about a trunion kit? I am getting ready to order and trying to decide what I need. Any advice
Old 11-07-2023, 06:15 AM   #9
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I did new lifters as well. Not sure they are necessary. But I put in Johnson lifters. I also did the trunion upgrades and well. For what it’s worth…I also did a fully forged rotating assembly. Lowered my compression to 9:1. Frankenstein M311 heads. And a Nick Williams 112 throttle body. AGP twin return fuel pump. And E85. So I kind of went all out with a full build. But the real power adder was the cam, and the E85. I went all out because I blew my stock motor and needed a full rebuild.

Cam is the single biggest power adder to an already blown motor. Then E85 is next up and adds a ton of power. And not just dyno number power…but power you can feel in the seat of your pants. The timing you can add to E85 is a game changer.

Cam and E85…best bang for your buck by a long shot.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 05:37 AM   #10
JMI

Drives: Red Jewel Camaro SS
We did some BTR Stage 2's, BTR stage 3's torque,BTR stage 3's,GPI stage 3's. And all of them drove great in manual's ZL1, so the SS will be even better due to higher compression. BTR stage 3 is the most popular here so far.
A stock converter car also runs well with a BTR Stage 2 and we even did a kinda hybrid between a stage 2 and a stage 3 (229/244 cam)and it ran great on the street with a stock ZL1 converter auto (878RWHP)Idles pretty smooth.So it should also work pretty well in a automatic.We actually just pulled the motor out to upgrade to a 427 and will be trying the new BTR Stage 4 with the auto tranny(still on stock ZL1 converter)
Think tuning is key.Lots of time was put in the tuning to make all these work 100% from idle to redline,cold and hot temperatures.Tuning can not be done in just an hour.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:48 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
My car is a 2010 Camaro SS with a Maggie, Meth, CAI, ARH headers. I am looking for a cam for the car I was looking at the Brian Tooley PDS stage 2 or stage 3 torque supercharger camshaft. The guy said stage 2 has more power through mid-range and better driveability and stage 3 has about 20hp more on the top-end with less driveability. The car is not my daily but I don't want a car that is a pain to drive. So if anyone has any suggestions that would help a lot or another brand cam. I was gonna do the whole kit with a trunion upgrade no lifters no timing chain no oil pump already changed that. Thanks for your input. The car is a 6-speed manual with a Monster clutch and I just went thru the whole suspension Afe coilovers solid subframe bushings and so on.
I have the perfect cam for this combination been working with it longer than anyone. JRE rough Idle blower cam does it all well.

Note you will need additional fuel support via fuel pump, and injectors as well as custom tuning and smaller pulley or overdrive cog set up.

We carry everything Camaro and can get you on the right track.

Feel free to call me 203-753-7223

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 12:26 AM   #12
tlamb2
WHPLSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I have the perfect cam for this combination been working with it longer than anyone. JRE rough Idle blower cam does it all well.

Note you will need additional fuel support via fuel pump, and injectors as well as custom tuning and smaller pulley or overdrive cog set up.

We carry everything Camaro and can get you on the right track.

Feel free to call me 203-753-7223

Ted.
So the car has a 3.3 pully right now with your FPCM and a ZL1 fuel pump. I have a JMS BAP I will be installing also. Will that be ok for fuel demands? The car is running the injectors that came with the Maggie.
Am I going to run into belt slippage by adding the cam and other issues with the 50hp I will be adding? And how about lifters car has 60k total miles. Thanks for your input. I don't know where else to ask
Old 12-09-2023, 07:38 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
So the car has a 3.3 pully right now with your FPCM and a ZL1 fuel pump. I have a JMS BAP I will be installing also. Will that be ok for fuel demands? The car is running the injectors that came with the Maggie.
Am I going to run into belt slippage by adding the cam and other issues with the 50hp I will be adding? And how about lifters car has 60k total miles. Thanks for your input. I don't know where else to ask
Note you are welcome to call us any time during business hours we will answer the phone. 203-753-7223

Your biggest thing is you are way past what the Maggie or LSA injectors will support so you need ID1050x injectors before you do anything.

It is impossible to predict what the lifter condition is if you have service records that could help you make a risk assessment on the Lifters.

Typically we never go below a 3.4 on the Maggie and with that you need our Super Tensioner to eliminate belt slippage you are seeing now.

I like the 3.6 up front with super tensioner and the Overdrive cog on the back for around 10-11 psi.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:09 AM   #14
tlamb2
WHPLSH

Ok thanks for the info, I will give you guys a call