Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-14-2023, 10:21 AM   #1
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Meth system. Maybe this will help someone.

Kind of a long read, but if it helps just one person……

I was chasing a leak in my system for about two months.

My system is ALKYCONTROL, using the wiper fluid reservoir for methanol.

One day I was checking all my fluids and I noticed the methanol had dropped about 2”. I topped it off and the next day it had dropped again. I topped it off again in the morning and by evening it had, again, dropped about 1/2”. Of course I purged the system very well with each attempt.

Over the course of three months I did the following.
Replaced the reservoir. Redid every hose connection with new grommets and plumbers tape. After none of that solved the problem I installed all brand new hoses. I even installed a new pump. I made my own litmus paper and applied it to every connection…nothing.

Then one day the fluid dropped again and I didn’t top it off. The next time I checked it the level actually rose! Yes…it topped itself off! It did this several times.

My frustration level was at an all time high. Needless to say it was getting the best of me.

My last ditch effort I decided to take everything apart and rebuild the entire system on the wall of my shop, pump and all, being careful to make sure everything was very close to the relative car installation.

Once I had everything ready I filled up the reservoir, purged it, topped it off and was about to walk out and wait to see of I could find the stupid leak when the problem revealed itself as plain as the nose on my face.

If you look at the photo, the black V separates the two chambers causing the chamber in red to hold air.

So between that and normal expansion and contraction of the reservoir that was the root of the problem. I reinstalled the system and haven’t had a problem since.

Big thanks to Julio for helping me out. We were on the phone quite a bit and he was invaluable through the ordeal…

Name:  IMG_5377.jpeg
Views: 162
Size:  92.6 KB
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:27 AM   #2
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Interesting read, thanks!

Storing this one in the ole memory banks for weird but possible problems in the future.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:10 AM   #3
tlamb2
WHPLSH

Drives: 2010 SS Maggie,ARH,Meth,AFE Coilove
If you are not using NPT hoses and using push to connect lines those will leak like crazy. Mine drove me crazy until I got all new lines that you tighten with a wrench problem solved for me. I had to replace all my fittings also but well worth it
tlamb2 is offline   Reply With Quote