Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Sneezy

Drives: 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
2010 Camaro SS Test drive @ NYIAS

I was with a bunch of friends that went to see Fbodfather @ the NYIAS. We went down opening day (April 10th). When we met up with Scott he told us he had a surprise for us.

Scratches head.....

Then he tells us he has a “car” for us to drive. At that point we all begin to salivate! Once we have had a chance to look around the show, Scott had a Silver Camaro SS Six Speed Manual for us to drive!

This is the spot where I stop and tell you how great a guy Scott is, not to mention he has a car with manufacturer tags for us to drive around the city. But most of you probably know what kind of guy he is so I don't need to continue on about that....(I'm really just trying to drag this post out)....

Anyway, My wife & I made our way outside and there were 2 others in front of us for a test drive. Stupid me didn't take any pics outside but some friends did.

So here we go, my review of a 10 block or so test drive in NYC leaving and returning from the Javit's Center.

The poor dad and his sons that kept ducking in and out to brave the chill.....every time they would step outside the Camaro would vanish..... Oh well, ya snooze ya lose.

Distinction: You can spot this car 2 blocks away in the city baring any trucks and buses. No doubt what it is and the stories from the other drivers told the same story. Nearly everyone knew it was the new Camaro and people loved it. (keep reading)

My wife got in back and I jumped in front with Scott in the passenger seat. He told me to nail it at the light, now I hate driving in NYC. I've done it enough times and just can't stand it. Uh, ok Scott...I've never driven this car before......So the light goes green and I make our way off. Scott calls me a pansy (bastid).

I tried like hell to get my wife to take it for a spin but she flat out refused to do so in the city. To bad, I think her POV would have been beneficial. Oh well. In 9 years and 33K miles on the Hawk she's driven it twice.

First thoughts:

The thing is smooth. Very smooth. 426HP and you have or have not depending on how you want to drive all or none of the power. It's not touchy. It's what it should be! The shifting is precise and could not be better. I don't think I personally have driven a better shifting car. Mind you this was NYC and 3rd gear was the top gear and only because you could. Keep in mind that my 2 cars are a 2000 Trans Am Firehawk A4 (330 hp) and a 2008 HHR SS (260 hp) MN5. Both at some point in first seem to break loose. Maybe it's because I wasn't used to the Camaro, but it seemed to just GRIP. For city driving it was just plain streetable and that is a damn good thing. My hawk has the damned live rear axle and it sucks in the city, the IRS is amazing.

It's quiet in side. More than the 4th gens and more than a Vette (newest I've driven was a 2005). The exhaust note, well it's amazing. I wish my Hawk sounded this good and it's not obnoxious to the passengers but noticeable and my wife commented so.

Looks. Well, need I say more? People knew what it was and I don't think I heard a negative comment on it. You could see this car 2 blocks away..... Yes I needed to state it's looks again. You won't lose it in a parking lot.

Comfort: My wife thought the back seat was fine but she's short (5'1 with shoes) and I'm 5'8 so I don't need the seat back really far. I sat in the back when Scott drove someone else around and the headroom was tight as was leg space but hey, get your own dam car if you want a ride or wait your turn! LOL.

My 7.5 yr old son thinks my Hawk is OK, my 4 yr old daughter loves the Hawk and is thrilled to ride in it! The rear quarter windows are a nice treat for the back seat kids. Adults if they fit may care less. Again, get your own car! I think she will LOVE IT. She may inherit the Hawk someday.

Visibility: It was fine, no real complaints. You can see over the hood but you don't sit to high so it's just plain comfy. Things are where you would expect them. The radio is a departure from the current GM's so it will take a bit of adjusting but should be fine. They incorporated the cd buttons into the preset buttons for ease of use. My only complaint is in my HHR I love the big ass volume knob in the center and they have gone away from that. Reduced buttons is good though.

It's quiet, seems to handle well and is well received by the masses!

My biggest complaint was Scott wouldn't let me take it home for the week for some extra seat time. 10 blocks was not enough though very much appreciated! I even promised to wash, Zaino it and make sure the gas tank was full but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I couldn't take it home.

So as we got out, I told Scott....... “You need to convince my wife I need this car”. Well, we are still working on that. She thinks I should replace the Hawk and I said No freakin way. This my love is an addition to the family. Yeah, I'm still working on her. I figure long about February I'll have a good down payment from scrounging every lunch ect I won't go out for now!

Yellow please.

I will do my best to answer questions but I've pretty much covered it all.

My auto show pics are at http://picasaweb.google.com/SneezyKevinA/NYIAS2009#

I didn't get a lot of out door pics but I can get permission to post pics from others that went if you want to see them.

My Hawk and other pics are at http://www.myfirehawk.net/

Here's me standing by Bumblebee. To bad my wife cut off the front....as far as I'm concerned thats grounds for ordering a car!

http://picasaweb.google.com/SneezyKe...51470543504594

hope the link works!

Last edited by Sneezy; 04-16-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbro View Post
How tight was the suspension and road feel from the steering wheel?
Did it handle better then you thought it would?
BMWish?

Or was it a bit sloppy because of it weight?
Hey man, off-topic but can EVERYONE cut it out with quoting a huge ass post? It's really irritating and we obviously know who you're talking to. If you REALLY want to quote just edit out his actual text and put the gist of it. Not trying to single you out as A LOT of people here do it but it is quite annoying.

Back to the topic: that's awesome. Who was he letting test drive it? Anyone who asked?
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
I was with a bunch of friends that went to see Fbodfather @ the NYIAS. We went down opening day (April 10th). When we met up with Scott he told us he had a surprise for us.

Scratches head.....

Then he tells us he has a “car” for us to drive. At that point we all begin to salivate! Once we have had a chance to look around the show, Scott had a Silver Camaro SS Six Speed Manual for us to drive!

This is the spot where I stop and tell you how great a guy Scott is, not to mention he has a car with manufacturer tags for us to drive around the city. But most of you probably know what kind of guy he is so I don't need to continue on about that....(I'm really just trying to drag this post out)....

Anyway, My wife & I made our way outside and there were 2 others in front of us for a test drive. Stupid me didn't take any pics outside but some friends did.

So here we go, my review of a 10 block or so test drive in NYC leaving and returning from the Javit's Center.

The poor dad and his sons that kept ducking in and out to brave the chill.....every time they would step outside the Camaro would vanish..... Oh well, ya snooze ya lose.

Distinction: You can spot this car 2 blocks away in the city baring any trucks and buses. No doubt what it is and the stories from the other drivers told the same story. Nearly everyone knew it was the new Camaro and people loved it. (keep reading)

My wife got in back and I jumped in front with Scott in the passenger seat. He told me to nail it at the light, now I hate driving in NYC. I've done it enough times and just can't stand it. Uh, ok Scott...I've never driven this car before......So the light goes green and I make our way off. Scott calls me a pansy (bastid).

I tried like hell to get my wife to take it for a spin but she flat out refused to do so in the city. To bad, I think her POV would have been beneficial. Oh well. In 9 years and 33K miles on the Hawk she's driven it twice.

First thoughts:

The thing is smooth. Very smooth. 426HP and you have or have not depending on how you want to drive all or none of the power. It's not touchy. It's what it should be! The shifting is precise and could not be better. I don't think I personally have driven a better shifting car. Mind you this was NYC and 3rd gear was the top gear and only because you could. Keep in mind that my 2 cars are a 2000 Trans Am Firehawk A4 (330 hp) and a 2008 HHR SS (260 hp) MN5. Both at some point in first seem to break loose. Maybe it's because I wasn't used to the Camaro, but it seemed to just GRIP. For city driving it was just plain streetable and that is a damn good thing. My hawk has the damned live rear axle and it sucks in the city, the IRS is amazing.

It's quiet in side. More than the 4th gens and more than a Vette (newest I've driven was a 2005). The exhaust note, well it's amazing. I wish my Hawk sounded this good and it's not obnoxious to the passengers but noticeable and my wife commented so.

Looks. Well, need I say more? People knew what it was and I don't think I heard a negative comment on it. You could see this car 2 blocks away..... Yes I needed to state it's looks again. You won't lose it in a parking lot.

Comfort: My wife thought the back seat was fine but she's short (5'1 with shoes) and I'm 5'8 so I don't need the seat back really far. I sat in the back when Scott drove someone else around and the headroom was tight as was leg space but hey, get your own dam car if you want a ride or wait your turn! LOL.

My 7.5 yr old son thinks my Hawk is OK, my 4 yr old daughter loves the Hawk and is thrilled to ride in it! The rear quarter windows are a nice treat for the back seat kids. Adults if they fit may care less. Again, get your own car! I think she will LOVE IT. She may inherit the Hawk someday.

Visibility: It was fine, no real complaints. You can see over the hood but you don't sit to high so it's just plain comfy. Things are where you would expect them. The radio is a departure from the current GM's so it will take a bit of adjusting but should be fine. They incorporated the cd buttons into the preset buttons for ease of use. My only complaint is in my HHR I love the big ass volume knob in the center and they have gone away from that. Reduced buttons is good though.

My biggest complaint was Scott wouldn't let me take it home for the week for some extra seat time. 10 blocks was not enough though very much appreciated! I even promised to wash, Zaino it and make sure the gas tank was full but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I couldn't take it home.

So as we got out, I told Scott....... “You need to convince my wife I need this car”. Well, we are still working on that. She thinks I should replace the Hawk and I said No freakin way. This my love is an addition to the family. Yeah, I'm still working on her. I figure long about February I'll have a good down payment from scrounging every lunch ect I won't go out for now!

Yellow please.

I promised Scott that I would post my quickie review over here, so now you have read it.

I didn't get a lot of out door pics but I can get permission to post pics from others that went if you want to see them.

Here's me standing by Bumblebee. To bad my wife cut off the front....as far as I'm concerned thats grounds for ordering a car!

hope the link works!

Hey man, off-topic but can EVERYONE cut it out with quoting a huge ass post? It's really irritating and we obviously know who you're talking to. If you REALLY want to quote just edit out his actual text and put the gist of it. Not trying to single you out as A LOT of people here do it but it is quite annoying.

Back to the topic: that's awesome. Who was he letting test drive it? Anyone who asked?
No problem!
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Congrats on your drive and thanks for the write-up!

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Quote:

THANK YOU. if you are the first person to reply to a thread there is NO need to quote.. we know what you are talking about.

that said i really wanted to make it up to NY to see the show but i HATE HATE HATE NYC.... well big cities in general (expect chicago... and DC).
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
Sneezy

Drives: 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
Quote:

It was just the group of us that went to see him.
Sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
lyndalu

Drives: 87IROC, 92Z, 97SS, 2002SS, 2010SSRS
BTW Sneezy, now I can put a face to the name! Great post. We did have fun!!!
lyndalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post

Scratches head.....

First thoughts:

Yellow please.

hope the link works!
your pics rock, my friend!