Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 09-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
VMAX ZL1/LSA 87mm TB Test Results - 31+ RWHP w/o Tuning - JDP Motorsports

We recently tested a ZL1/LSA VMAX CNC ported throttle body and the results are very impressive!!!! The testing was performed on a 100% Stock 2013 A6 ZL1 on our DynoJet 224xLC dyno. I was expecting to see a 15-20 RWHP gain and I was blown away by the results we ended up getting without tuning. Here are the results from our testing.

The first step of this test was to get a baseline. We strapped the ZL1 to our DynoJet 224xLC dyno and we did 2 consecutive pulls. Below is the dyno chart showing those results. The car made 431.8 RWHP and 459.53 RWTQ on the first pull and 431.74 RWHP and 451.46 RWTQ on the 2nd pull as seen in the chart below.

2013 ZL1 A6 100% Stock

The next step was to replace the OEM throttle body with the CNC ported VMAX unit. The differences are very notable and Pete at VMAX really spent a lot of time getting the program dialed in. This installation takes about 15 minutes using basic hand tools.

Jeremy installing the throttle body.

Factory throttle body compared to the VMAX

VMAX CNC ported Throttle Body

We had the throttle body installed and ready for testing within 30 minutes of starting the testing which means the run conditions were identical to the OEM test and the car remained strapped down. We did the first pull and when I saw the increase I was shocked. I was expecting 15-20 RWHP at the most and we saw a 39 RWHP gain!!! We then did the 2nd pull and the result was a 31 RWHP gain!!

This is a comparison of the 2 VMAX runs we performed. The first run it made 470.68 RWHP and 467.93 RWTQ and the 2nd run was 462.56 RWHP and 463.07 RWTQ. These are amazing numbers!!

This is the best OEM run vs. the 2nd best VMAX run with a gain of 30.76 RWHP and 3.54 RWTQ.

This is the best OEM run vs the best VMAX run with a gain or 38.88 RWHP and 8.4 RWTQ.

This is the 2 OEM runs vs the 2 VMAX runs.

VIDEO COMING SOON!

The largest gains from this mod are from 4700 RPM to red line as shown on the dyno charts. The results are an excellent mod and the $$ per HP is unmatched by any other modification we've seen. I feel these gains would have been closer to 20-25 RWHP if an intake was installed but on a 100% OEM car this is what we achieved! We will test a CAI intake on this same car in the coming weeks once we get it and I will share those results.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Mike TexaSS

Drives: 454 LS7 Camaro SS
Do you have IAT data? I find it hard to belive those numbers. As ignition timing is added or subtracted based on the IAT. 1 or 2 more degs of timing can make 15 to 20 rwhp more easy.
Mike TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Azzkker

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, 99 z28, 89 iroc-z
Would you be willing to try a v-max ls3 Tb on the same car to compare what the performance gains are between the stock, v-max ported 87mm, and the v-max ls3 90mm? Do not think anyone has posted that kind of testing before.
Azzkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS View Post
Do you have IAT data? I find it hard to belive those numbers. As ignition timing is added or subtracted based on the IAT. 1 or 2 more degs of timing can make 15 to 20 rwhp more easy.
I didn't log the car during these test but the operating temperatures were the same and ambient was higher with the VMAX. The ambient temp was 80.5* on the OEM pulls vs. 84* on the VMAX pulls. I will log the car when it comes back for the CAI installation and testing but I don't think that was a factor in this test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkker View Post
Would you be willing to try a v-max ls3 Tb on the same car to compare what the performance gains are between the stock, v-max ported 87mm, and the v-max ls3 90mm? Do not think anyone has posted that kind of testing before.
I haven't done any back to back with the LS3 VMAX and the LSA VMAX but past results haven't been as good with the LS3 unit as one would think. I would be happy to do that test when the car comes back for the CAI.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Azzkker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
I didn't log the car during these test but the operating temperatures were the same and ambient was higher with the VMAX. The ambient temp was 80.5* on the OEM pulls vs. 84* on the VMAX pulls. I will log the car when it comes back for the CAI installation and testing but I don't think that was a factor in this test.

I haven't done any back to back with the LS3 VMAX and the LSA VMAX but past results haven't been as good with the LS3 unit as one would think. I would be happy to do that test when the car comes back for the CAI.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
That would be much appreciated!

thanks
anthony
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
I'm waiting for ur email Jordan...
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Mine picked up some throttle response on both my 2010 SS and my 2012 Zl1, but no real power gains. I would still recommend getting one because it helps with the drive by wire laggy feel, but i would say there will be some hearts broke if people are expecting 40 RWHP when they bolt this on. Not trying to poo poo your results, every car reponds differently, but I'd take the huge gains on this car with a grain of salt

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Azzkker

The big advantage to this mod if you look at the power graphs is how it smooth's the power band in the top end. The power is more linear versus the stock bouncing graph.

I just want to compare apples to apples all while being able to compare the graphs of the 87 and 90mm TB's to see if the reversal of the throttle opening mucks the graph up due to harmonics and turbulence.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
I called the owner of vmax and spoke to him TODAY because i was not sure what to put on my car.he told me the ported lSA made about 20-25 rwhp(no tune) in the test he did back in 2010..Its posted on line, but that being said he also told me that installing a ls3 ported vmax on a near stock or stock lsa motor will cause you to loose at least 4rwhp from whatever you gain with the ported LSA TB!!yes thats correct the LS3TB will make less RWHP that a ported vmax LSA TB sounds crazy but bigger is not always better.
Now he also told me that a 6.2 LSA (stock Cubic Inches) should never have a 102mm TB on it as per his testing .He said he used to make a custom billet 95 TB and that is the perfect size for that motor(Based on yrs of Testing) If its maxed out fully built,bigger s/c etc Now once the engine size is increased to say a 427 then yes go up to 102mm if you can get it to work without tuning issues closing and all the other B.S..
HE also told that once you have gotten to the point at which i am at (cam) mid (600RWHP )then I should go up to a LS3 vmax port TB..I have done everything or doing everything but the heads...I may sse if nick at fastlane wants to do some testing between the two TB and see the out come, I will let you know by the end of this week..
Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Azzkker

Currently my mods that I have in my shop waiting to go on are SW 2" long tubes with cat delete, 10" IW crank pulley and all the necessary brackets and pulleys, and ID 850's. Mods I already installed are roto fab CAI, big gulp, bigger heat exchanger, and a coolant reservoir. I have thought about a cam later on but want to see what it will do with this setup first.

I am just not a fan of the upside down/ reversal of the throttle blade the ls3 90mm requires, which is why I asked for it to be compared to the LSA Tb to see if in fact it does mess with the smoother power delivery the v-max 87 puts down.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
UHP-CAMARO

Drives: Traded this for a 2013 ZL1
Dyno results says it was well worth it and my Butt Dyno concurs. After the install on my 2013 ZL1 I left for home assessing I-15 South at 90th South in SLC. The Traffic Meter was on so I had to Waite for the Green Light at the top of the Ramp. This made the distance to get up to speed to merge with the main flow of traffic very short.

I was very pleased and somewhat amazed how much better my ZL1 preformed getting up to freeway speed and able to merge with traffic.

I will take it back to JDP as soon as my Cold Air Induction's CAI arrives. I will then have JDP do the install and conduct another testing session on there DYNO.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
JB12ZL1

Drives: victory red Camaro ZL1
thats awesome!!! My zl1 did 468 rwhp 460 rwtq with just a rotofab...adding the ported tb should produce even better results.
JB12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
That would be much appreciated!

thanks
anthony
Quote:
The big advantage to this mod if you look at the power graphs is how it smooth's the power band in the top end. The power is more linear versus the stock bouncing graph.

I just want to compare apples to apples all while being able to compare the graphs of the 87 and 90mm TB's to see if the reversal of the throttle opening mucks the graph up due to harmonics and turbulence.
Quote:
Currently my mods that I have in my shop waiting to go on are SW 2" long tubes with cat delete, 10" IW crank pulley and all the necessary brackets and pulleys, and ID 850's. Mods I already installed are roto fab CAI, big gulp, bigger heat exchanger, and a coolant reservoir. I have thought about a cam later on but want to see what it will do with this setup first.

I am just not a fan of the upside down/ reversal of the throttle blade the ls3 90mm requires, which is why I asked for it to be compared to the LSA Tb to see if in fact it does mess with the smoother power delivery the v-max 87 puts down.
I would honestly suggest the 87mm TB over the 90mm LS3 unit for the ZL1. I am happy to conduct the testing and we will do the test when we're doing the Cold Air Inductions testing. The peak torque numbers are also lower than what is seen in the mid range; this is an awesome bang for the buck mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
I'm waiting for ur email Jordan...
Please resend your email. I'm not sure if it got lost in the shuffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam99 View Post
Mine picked up some throttle response on both my 2010 SS and my 2012 Zl1, but no real power gains. I would still recommend getting one because it helps with the drive by wire laggy feel, but i would say there will be some hearts broke if people are expecting 40 RWHP when they bolt this on. Not trying to poo poo your results, every car reponds differently, but I'd take the huge gains on this car with a grain of salt
The LS3 VMAX usually gives us 4-6 RWHP and 4-6 RWTQ on an LS3 car; honestly I wasn't expecting much more than 15 RWHP with the 87mm LSA unit. I was pretty impressed with the results we achieved with this unit but I did list the lower gain (Best OEM pull to 2nd best VMAX pull) to be conservative. This test was done on a 100% stock ZL1 and I think with an intake you'd be closer to seeing a 20-25 RWHP gain but that is still a great "bang for your buck" modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
I called the owner of vmax and spoke to him TODAY because i was not sure what to put on my car.he told me the ported lSA made about 20-25 rwhp(no tune) in the test he did back in 2010..Its posted on line, but that being said he also told me that installing a ls3 ported vmax on a near stock or stock lsa motor will cause you to loose at least 4rwhp from whatever you gain with the ported LSA TB!!yes thats correct the LS3TB will make less RWHP that a ported vmax LSA TB sounds crazy but bigger is not always better.
Now he also told me that a 6.2 LSA (stock Cubic Inches) should never have a 102mm TB on it as per his testing .He said he used to make a custom billet 95 TB and that is the perfect size for that motor(Based on yrs of Testing) If its maxed out fully built,bigger s/c etc Now once the engine size is increased to say a 427 then yes go up to 102mm if you can get it to work without tuning issues closing and all the other B.S..
HE also told that once you have gotten to the point at which i am at (cam) mid (600RWHP )then I should go up to a LS3 vmax port TB..I have done everything or doing everything but the heads...I may sse if nick at fastlane wants to do some testing between the two TB and see the out come, I will let you know by the end of this week..
I'd probably go with the 87mm LSA unit personally but at your power level the 90mm LS3 unit would be fine as well. I am not a fan of any of the 102mm throttle bodies; tuning is always a PITA and they just aren't needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHP-CAMARO View Post
Dyno results says it was well worth it and my Butt Dyno concurs. After the install on my 2013 ZL1 I left for home assessing I-15 South at 90th South in SLC. The Traffic Meter was on so I had to Waite for the Green Light at the top of the Ramp. This made the distance to get up to speed to merge with the main flow of traffic very short.

I was very pleased and somewhat amazed how much better my ZL1 preformed getting up to freeway speed and able to merge with traffic.

I will take it back to JDP as soon as my Cold Air Induction's CAI arrives. I will then have JDP do the install and conduct another testing session on there DYNO.
Thank you for letting us use your ZL1 for the testing. It was important for me to use a 100% stock car as I wanted to see what this modification did alone. I'm looking forward to testing the CAI and we might do a few combinations while we have it strapped to the dyno for that test if that works for you. Free dyno time is always nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB12ZL1 View Post
thats awesome!!! My zl1 did 468 rwhp 460 rwtq with just a rotofab...adding the ported tb should produce even better results.
I'd say with the Roto-Fab the gains would probably be closer to 20-25 RWHP but regardless that is substantial. We saw a 30 RWHP gain with the Roto-Fab when we tested it on a 100% stock M6 ZL1 awhile back.

Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions and have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 09-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
I installed my VMAX throttle body today but I didn't get to drive it yet. I'm not expecting too much seeing since this mod was only $150.

Tags
jdp motorsports, throttle body, vmax, zl1 camaro