Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
Vuron00

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Ok, here's a question...I know you can shift back and forth from "D" to "M" on-the-fly. But once you've used either tap shifter in "M" mode, the tranny stays that way until you shift to "D" and then back to "M," correct? Or is there another way to get back to regular "M" mode after tap shifting that I'm not aware of?

I've been wondering about this because sometimes I like to shift down for that burst of power...but then I'm done and just want to immediately go back to regular "M" mode. Don't really want to shift to "D" and back to "M." I guess that will become second nature after a short while, though, eh?

Any thoughts out there...?
I don't think the people responding to your question understood what you meant, but I'd like to know the answer to this, too.
Vuron00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #16
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuron00 View Post
I don't think the people responding to your question understood what you meant, but I'd like to know the answer to this, too.
You're right, Vuron00...I'll try to re-state my question:

Ok, in the "M" (Sport) mode, the shift points are higher and the car accelerates more responsively than in "D" (Normal drive) mode. Now, if I choose "M" mode, the car will not require my intervention at all to shift through all 6 gears--it just does so more aggressively. This is my every day mode of choice, by the way.

BUT...if, while in "M" mode (and only while in "M" mode), I choose to use the tap shifters, this action puts the transmission in an actual "Manual" mode...meaning I must now manually continue tap shifting to go from gear to gear (up or down). This is a lot of fun...but requires the driver to stay focused when accelerating or they'll just reach a max rev limit for whatever gear they are in, until they manually tap-shift up (the car still downshifts automatically to 2nd gear or 1st gear, depending on whether you have the V-6 or V-8 engine).

So here's my question: As far as I know, once I've use the tap shifters and put the tranny in "Manual" mode, there is no way to return to "M" (Sport) mode, in which the car up-shifts and down-shifts automatically at the higher shift points without moving the shift knob from "M" to "D" and back to "M" again...or is there?

To me, having to shift forward and back while I'm driving feels a bit unnatural, but it's only a minor annoyance. Still, if there's a different way, I'm all ears!

Hope this makes things more clear...

Cheers everyone!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Ok, here's a question...I know you can shift back and forth from "D" to "M" on-the-fly. But once you've used either tap shifter in "M" mode, the tranny stays that way until you shift to "D" and then back to "M," correct? Or is there another way to get back to regular "M" mode after tap shifting that I'm not aware of?

I've been wondering about this because sometimes I like to shift down for that burst of power...but then I'm done and just want to immediately go back to regular "M" mode. Don't really want to shift to "D" and back to "M." I guess that will become second nature after a short while, though, eh?

Any thoughts out there...?

I'm with you on this. While stopped, I tried double tapping down (no luck) and double tapping up (shift denied) to see if I could get it to go back to "S" without manually shifting back to "D" and then "M". So far no luck. Oh well!

Last edited by 3BVert; 08-14-2009 at 12:32 PM.
3BVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
BrandonGoodman

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Camaro
I've been playing around with this mode alot over the past few days and haven't found a way to get back out of the tap-shift mode to sport mode without shifting to drive and then back to manual :(
7/18/09 bought it off another dealer's lot

Prior:
1984 305 Camaro
1997 5.7L Z28 Camaro
BrandonGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #19
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
I simply push the shifter forward to D and then immediately pull it back to M to go back into back into Sport mode... that I believe is the only way to get the car back into Sport mode from Manual mode...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #20
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I simply push the shifter forward to D and then immediately pull it back to M to go back into back into Sport mode... that I believe is the only way to get the car back into Sport mode from Manual mode...

Yes, if you're in M (manual tap shift mode) and you want to return to
M (Sport mode), you need to slide the shifted up to D and then back to M. But as mentioned, it can be done on the fly very quickly. Each mode can be achieved at anytime on the fly.

What I've been practicing lately is doing multiple downshifts quickly (like dropping from 4th to 2nd gear at once). You can quickly tap two times and it will drop 2 gears at once, or tap three times and drop 3 gears at once, as long as your going the appropriate speed. You don't have to drop 1 gear at a time.

I also like how it will automatically drop you to 2nd or 3rd gear as your going slowly around a turn. And then it gently drops you to 2nd gear whenever you slow down below 10mph or so.. Its a pretty neat setup.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote