Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
atlang3lo

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro LS All Black
Amp and Sub Installation Help

Okay guys and gals, i have a LS and i need some guidance on installing a amp and subs to the factory radio (LS Version). Attempting for the first time ever. So far i have 2 10in Kicker CVR 4ohm, ******** enclosure, 50 Sq Ft MegaMat, i plan to purchase a Kicker 750.1 amp and amp wire kit on the 1st. How do i install these things. Also do i need any extra equipment for this install?

Thanks for the help.
atlang3lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
You are going to need a line out convertor, LOC, to tap into the rear speaker wires, and convert the hi level signal to low level. Those can be bought just about anywhere, from about $10 and up.

You are also going to need to find a 12v switched source to turn the amp on and off. There are signal sensing LOCs available that can do that for you, but they can be troublesome. Probably going to have to find a source up front, and run it to the rear.

After that, it's pretty simple. You'll run 12v constant from the battery to the amp, and a chassis ground from the car to the battery. You can ground from the battery to the amp if you are close enough, under 18" or so. You'll run a 12v switched source to the amp as well. From there, you'll tap into the rear speakers with the LOC and run RCA interconnects from it to the amp. Make sure you set the LOC gains, if it has them to about 1/2 or under, for now. Then it's as simple as wiring the subs up to the amp and setting it.

It really is that easy, but can take a bit of work. I forgot to mention, install the MegaMat before anything else,lol.

Also, I do believe there are a few tutorials around on installing everything. Just take your time, and if you have any questions, ask!!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
atlang3lo

where do i find a 12v switch source?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
Mine is in the fuse box up front drivers side
Attached Images

cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
atlang3lo

@cybercoaster So you have your running to fuse box on the driver side in your trunk? or by you steering wheel? Also how do you like that JBL amp? I was thinking about the JBL 750.1 if i don't get the Kicker ZX750.1.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
the remote turn on goes to the fuse box up front, the power comes of the battery in the trunk. It was a toss up between kicker and JBL and I have always been partial to JBL (thats what my home theater is) so I went with that. Its great.
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
JBL ftw ;-)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
mrray13

While JBL is nice, I'd take Kicker everyday of the week. I'm not knocking JBL either, I've seen some awesome setups, but IME, Kicker is hard to beat in street beater setups, and have won more then their of both spl and sq championships.

In the end, as long as it's a quality product, one will be hard pressed to tell the difference sound wise in a blind test. So grab the name you like the best, make sure the install is top notch (that has the most effect on overall sound) and bang away!!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
atlang3lo

well i pretty much decided on the Kicker Amp 10ZX750.1, What kind of amp kit you guys recommend? The amp uses a 4 gauge thats pretty much all i know. lol
Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
mrray13

Kicker has an awesome amp kit, top notch!! As does Audiopipe, Stinger, and even Memphis. Avoid Monster.

Look for strand count. The higher the better. Also easier to install. My personal favorite is Kicker Hyperflex. 4ga would be plenty, but it wouldn't hurt to go 2g either.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #11
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
[QUOTE=mrray13;2221981] You'll run 12v constant from the battery to the amp, and a chassis ground from the car to the battery. You can ground from the battery to the amp if you are close enough, under 18" or so.

Are you saying that it's better to run a chassis ground if the lead length is over 18" to battery? Is there a technical reason for this or just cable cost?

Funny, I just brought a Kicker power kit today and I was wondering why the negitive lead is so short.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #12
BlueGrill

Drives: 2010 Camaro
[QUOTE=SS Drifter;2235600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
You'll run 12v constant from the battery to the amp, and a chassis ground from the car to the battery. You can ground from the battery to the amp if you are close enough, under 18" or so.

Are you saying that it's better to run a chassis ground if the lead length is over 18" to battery? Is there a technical reason for this or just cable cost?

Funny, I just brought a Kicker power kit today and I was wondering why the negitive lead is so short.
Usually the amp neg pwr lead is connected to the metal of the car, which in most cars is tied to neg lead of the battery. So wherever yr amp is mounted, find a close baremetal place to screw down the neg lead circular lug, tight and solid baremetal contact.
BlueGrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
That makes sense. I suppose this would help avoid noise from ground loops. Thanks for the info.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post

Definitely better to run the shortest ground possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGrill View Post

Usually the amp neg pwr lead is connected to the metal of the car, which in most cars is tied to neg lead of the battery. So wherever yr amp is mounted, find a close baremetal place to screw down the neg lead circular lug, tight and solid baremetal contact.

Yeah, but that's usually done due to the fact that battery is in front, while the amps are in back. In this case, the battery is in back where the amp will be, and depending upon build, you can wire straight to the battery, and it would be the best place to do it if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post
That makes sense. I suppose this would help avoid noise from ground loops. Thanks for the info.

That's a lot of it. There is more to it, but I honestly couldn't touch on most of the technical aspects.