Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #1
Bryanleitner

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS2
Top sped

Most of you are going to hate this question haha just bought my son his first car which he did help with he has been saving for years... He got himself a 2014 camaro SS which I agreed with because I love them... My question is is there anything I can do to lower the top speed that won't kill a warranty he's only 15 and just got his permit and when he turns 16 I don't want to worry about him flying down back roads because we live in the country...
Bryanleitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanleitner View Post
Most of you are going to hate this question haha just bought my son his first car which he did help with he has been saving for years... He got himself a 2014 camaro SS which I agreed with because I love them... My question is is there anything I can do to lower the top speed that won't kill a warranty he's only 15 and just got his permit and when he turns 16 I don't want to worry about him flying down back roads because we live in the country...
There's a governer built into the car that limits the top speed, I think it's 150mph... you can't lower it without a customer ecu tune that will probably mess with the warranty (totally different topic) http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290879

Why would you buy your 16 year old son a 400+hp sports car and be concerned with the speed?

There is a speed warning you can set on the car to alert him when he goes over a certain mph. But all that does is notify him, which he can easily disable and re-enable at any time without you ever knowing.

But I wouldn't even be that concerned with top speed, more so the torque and the wheel hop this car has.
Your son can easily total the car or worse turning the corner trying to impress his Sophomore High School friends going 30mph.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
There's a governer built into the car that limits the top speed, I think it's 150mph... you can't lower it without a customer ecu tune that will probably mess with the warranty (totally different topic) http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290879

Why would you buy your 16 year old son a 400+hp sports car and be concerned with the speed?

There is a speed warning you can set on the car to alert him when he goes over a certain mph.

But I wouldn't even be that concerned with top speed, more so the torque and the wheel hop this car has.
Your son can easily total the car or worse turning the corner trying to impress his Sophomore High School friends going 30mph.
My thoughts exactly. Good Lord...the world we live in.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
This is a terrible terrible choice for a first car. Best of luck.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
Dmpsix

OP sorry, don't mean to stir things up.

If it's too late to return the car and you're gonna let him drive it, the best thing to do is take him on several rides/lessons and just teach him to respect the car and the power that comes with it.

Again, top speed is top speed, 100mph+ can be EASILY done in this car and you wouldn't even notice it.

I really think the torque and wheel hop is something to be concerned with, and not to mention again... trying to impress his friends.

If you turn off the stabilitrak / traction control on this thing, he's gonna wreck it or worse, I guarantee that. And again... all of these things can be disabled in a matter of seconds.

So this car is definitely not for someone inexperienced and that you don't completely trust.

At the end of the day OP, it's your call and if you do take a leap of faith and let him drive it on his own without your supervision, you're gonna have to teach him to respect this car and everyone else on the road.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Does he have a job? Good grades? Responsible? That is the way the wife and I raised our 3 sons...Made them buy their first car with money they earned so they had more respect.....

I could NEVER live with myself knowing I put them behind a car that powerful and something happened....hell I don't even let them drive my current SS unless I am in it with them....seriously....
Old 10-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Bryanleitner

I knew there were going to be the people why would you buy him a car like that it take it back .. Are all are all you people nuts so what buy him a ford focus, a Chevy cruze, mini van.. Lol whatever my question is there anything I can do to limit top speed. If I wanted any other input I would of asks for it.. Just like every kid should get a trophy right.. I'm not worried about corners I'm worried about how fast the car goes... I dont give a shit on how quick it gets there been racing off road shit for years!!! Buy everyone gets stupid once in a while to see how fast something goes
Old 10-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
You purchased a vehicle that has more speed and capability than the Ferraris and Lamborghinis of days old for your kids first car and you're worried about top speed?

There is a chance it could be electronically limited through reprogramming, go talk to a local tuner if you're dead set on keeping the car.

The smart play here is to trade it in for a truck asap.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Dmpsix

Quote:
I knew there were going to be the people why would you buy him a car like that it take it back .. Are all are all you people nuts so what buy him a ford focus, a Chevy cruze, mini van.. Lol whatever my question is there anything I can do to limit top speed. If I wanted any other input I would of asks for it.. Just like every kid should get a trophy right.. I'm not worried about corners I'm worried about how fast the car goes... I dont give a shit on how quick it gets there been racing off road shit for years!!! Buy everyone gets stupid once in a while to see how fast something goes
It goes pretty fast, it's a 400+hp car.

No, you can not limit how fast a 400+hp goes, this should be pretty self explanatory. If you're worried about how fast a 6.2L 426 horsepower 2014 Camaro SUPERSPORT goes, then trade it in for a Corolla.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
Bryanleitner

Quote:

No, you can not limit how fast a 400+hp goes, this should be pretty self explanatory. If you're worried about how fast a 6.2L 426 horsepower 2014 Camaro SUPERSPORT goes, then trade it in for a Corolla.
I said I don't care how fast a 400hp car gets there as I stated I am asking is there anything I can do to limit top speed on the car without voiding warranty thanks much...
Old 10-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #11
Dmpsix

Quote:
I said I don't care how fast a 400hp car gets there as I stated I am asking is there anything I can do to limit top speed on the car without voiding warranty thanks much...
Understood, and I answered all of those questions in the previous post.

Once again.....you can not reduce the top speed without voiding your warranty.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #12
kazperking

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:

Their is nothing you can do UNLESS you want to void the warranty and have a tuner mess with the ECU. Otherwise car will reach speeds over 150+. Have fun
kazperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #13
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:

Or stick shift so the kid can really focus on the road and the car. You can't put a limiter on the speed plain and simple, the best thing you can do is put a speed warning which will only chime and not reduce speed. The kid will have to respect the car cause it will bite him in a heart beat and even quicker with the assists turned off. This is not a vehicle to play games with. We're trying to help you with suggestions on how to respect this car for your son. Once respect if there then speed and wreckless driving won't be an issue. We all had oh sh$t moments in this vehicle one way or another and were just giving our opinions.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Take it back to the dealership and have them modify the ecu for max speed. It takes a few minutes. I have several tunes for my car, one is valet mode. It limits the car to 25 mph with everything else being original.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote