Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
DSE 1.5" front lowering springs issue

I installed the DSE 1.5" lowering springs on my 2010 2LT Camaro along with the Koni Orange struts - the ride quality is great! However, I have ran into some issues with only the front springs.

Whenever the car is on a lift being serviced and the shop lowers the car, the springs do not seat properly causing a grinding sound when turning the wheels. I found this out when having a rear tire patched at the Chevrolet dealership the other day.

When I got home, I jacked the car up on each side and rotated the springs to their proper resting place. However, the DSE rear springs have a limiter bracket to hold the springs in place to prevent them from leaving the strut seat when fully drooped. No issues there. The front springs do not have them.

I also noticed whenever it rains or the underside of the car gets wet, the springs slowly start to slide out of their resting place and cause them to grind when turning. There is a rubber resting piece that sits on the bottom strut seats for the springs to sit on, however they still wiggle their way out of place.

What is going on here? Is this an installation issue or is this just poor engineering on DSE's end?

I'm thinking I may just invest in coilovers and call it a day. Any help is appreciated.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
So you dropped the front and the rear is stock?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
So you dropped the front and the rear is stock?

Both are dropped. I called Koni and DSE - working with them im finding a soultion. Taking the car to the shop this weekend to have them inspect and find out why the springs keep rotating when under load. There was a recall on the yellow sport Koni’s for the 5th Gen in which production was halted as the spring seat was touching the tires of some of the larger wheel and tire packages. Nothing on the Orange STR.t struts since they were manufactured at a different facility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Ahhh, ok.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #5
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Is the nut on the strut shaft tightened down all the way? Basically it needs to be bottomed out on the threads, to the proper torque spec. I had an issue with one of my front struts when I installed mine. Didn't use a spring compressor, just pushed the strut hat down and tightened the nut but did not get it tight enough, it would then rattle around and clunk when turning and going over small bumps.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote