Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Zl1-Toothless

Drives: 204
Zl1 suspension 100kmi alternatives

Hi all,

My 2014 Zl1 has 100kmi on it and the mag ride has all but leaked out, all are black leakey bled out and I am riding on springs at this point.

Car is a Daily Driver and with the mileage and value of the vehicle I am looking at alternatives to suspension replacement.

So with the Budget in min I CANNOT spend 450 a corner for mag ride that will prob blow out again in 40kmi.

SO does anyone know where I can find used mag ride shocks/struts OR if the 1LE / FE6 shocks / struts would work inside our springs etc.

I know the Mag ride wont work, but at this point I would be happy spending 600$ to make the car drivable and comfy than 2000+ for the magride.

What else would I need to do to disable the Mag Ride ?

Thanks for your help guys

What do you all think ?
Zl1-Toothless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
You don't have to spend $450 a corner...

Check E-bay for lightly used (fully assembled) mag shocks/struts. I had to replace my drivers side front strut due to it leaking and riding rough... Purchased a super low mile strut assembly (1.5k miles) for $150 shipped, and was on my way to like new ride and handling.

I would personally stick with the mag ride. The adjustability for normal driving and track is such a nice feature.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1-Toothless View Post
Hi all,

My 2014 Zl1 has 100kmi on it and the mag ride has all but leaked out, all are black leakey bled out and I am riding on springs at this point.

Car is a Daily Driver and with the mileage and value of the vehicle I am looking at alternatives to suspension replacement.

So with the Budget in min I CANNOT spend 450 a corner for mag ride that will prob blow out again in 40kmi.

SO does anyone know where I can find used mag ride shocks/struts OR if the 1LE / FE6 shocks / struts would work inside our springs etc.

I know the Mag ride wont work, but at this point I would be happy spending 600$ to make the car drivable and comfy than 2000+ for the magride.

What else would I need to do to disable the Mag Ride ?

Thanks for your help guys

What do you all think ?

Buy OEM new... As of April 1st Delco offer's lifetime replacement on these Mag Struts purchased from GM Dealer, RockAuto, Amazon etc. I cant stand RockAuto because you cant talk with anyone live, and at the time I got them during the summer Summit was still working things out with Delco.

I know because my rears failed again after 500 miles and Amazon replaced both rears NC.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Zl1-Toothless

OEM new is like 500 x 4 that's 2k$...

as an alternative could I drop the 1le struts into the zl1 springs and call it a day without mag ride...

used is a great suggestion, but how long will they last...Dice roll
Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1-Toothless View Post
OEM new is like 500 x 4 that's 2k$...

as an alternative could I drop the 1le struts into the zl1 springs and call it a day without mag ride...

used is a great suggestion, but how long will they last...Dice roll

Yep the forum has taken on a whole new light now that we are in to 2nd, 3rd,and 4th owners. if you are patient you can find deals;

Amazon

You ordered 1 of ACDelco 580-429 GM Original Equipment Front Passenger Side Suspension Strut Assembly Kit

Total Before Tax:
Estimated Tax:
Order Total:
$162.19
$9.73
$171.92

You ordered 2 of "ACDelco 580-445 GM Original...".

Total Before Tax:
Estimated Tax:
Order Total:
$681.58
$40.90
$722.48
Old 12-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
rmcbee

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Why not go to coil overs? Has to be someway to turn that mag ride off? Are we to be controlled by computers?
rmcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:37 AM   #7
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Seems wrong to remove the mag ride from a ZL1. With the accelerating cornering and braking ability of a ZL1, I would be cautious about removing the mag ride.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
Zl1-Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
Seems wrong to remove the mag ride from a ZL1. With the accelerating cornering and braking ability of a ZL1, I would be cautious about removing the mag ride.
Well, I don't think its a safety issue at all, lots of cars go fast on non mag...

Like the z28, 1le just to throw out there.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I would just go to some quality coilover setup.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #10
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
I would just go to some quality coilover setup.
I was thinking going coil overs because i am pretty sure my front shocks are dead.
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #11
evonschu

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Buy OEM new... As of April 1st Delco offer's lifetime replacement on these Mag Struts purchased from GM Dealer, RockAuto, Amazon etc. I cant stand RockAuto because you cant talk with anyone live, and at the time I got them during the summer Summit was still working things out with Delco.

I know because my rears failed again after 500 miles and Amazon replaced both rears NC.
So how does that work? Like I had a shop install rears I got off Rock Auto not too long ago. If the rears fail do I just contact Rock Auto to get replacements sent and send the damaged ones back? My fronts I have not replaced yet, will those have a lifetime warranty too? Or is it just on shocks bought after April? Does this mean they'll actually last longer than the original ones installed in our rides? 30-50k before blow outs seemed so ridiculous.
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6: Rotofab CAI, JDP ZL-R Rough Idle Cam, Upgraded Valve Springs and Pushrods, Ron Davis Heat Exchanger, Alky Methanol Injection, Rx Catch Can, 87mm VMAX Ported TB, Summit Performance Spark Plug Wires, 10" Lower Pulley, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with Magnaflow Cats, ID850 Injectors, Johnson 2110R lifters, EBC Slotted Rotors+Hawk Pads, Rotofab SC Coolant Reservoir, 160* Thermostat, Custom Mild to Wild switch, Tune, 1st to 4th bypass. 685 RWHP / 640 RWTQ.
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #12
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
So how does that work? Like I had a shop install rears I got off Rock Auto not too long ago. If the rears fail do I just contact Rock Auto to get replacements sent and send the damaged ones back? My fronts I have not replaced yet, will those have a lifetime warranty too? Or is it just on shocks bought after April? Does this mean they'll actually last longer than the original ones installed in our rides? 30-50k before blow outs seemed so ridiculous.
You need your proof of purchase after April 2018, call Delco request case #, they may make you go to a shop certified to resell to verify, but for me they took my word. Take the case# to Rock Auto, I would never buy from them because I hear it’s impossible to get someone live. I put all the detail about the Delco lifetime warranty on the forum back in the summer.

If you read my post you would know they don’t last any longer as I noted my two rears failed after 500 miles ( I blame Ted Jannety for too much horse power). If you search other forums like Cadillac and other GM vehicles the mag strut has a horrible reliability record. The ones I have now don’t have as much gas charge as the ones I replaced which matched the original struts. You can easily check the failure of the rears, you shouldn’t be able to open the trunk and press bounce the rear with a functioning strut.