Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
Kobra
Traitor

Drives: 2010 Camaro (BLOWN UP, GOT MUSTANG)
Yet another 2010 V6 issue

Seems like I picked a real winner buying this vehicle. I'm really at a loss. I posted a few weeks ago about my A/C not working, how sometimes it would work, but most of the time just blows hot humid air. But that's a different story.

Today's issue is engine cooling. I don't know what temperature is "safe" for 2010 V6 engine coolant, but i can guarantee it's not what mine has been getting to. Around 246 degrees, idling in the shade on an 80 degree day. The fans WILL NOT come on if their life depended on it. No blown fuses, no busted relays. Engine is full of the appropriate coolant type. Hell, the dash doesn't even ping saying "engine too hot". Only just today I saw the passenger side fan move when I shut the vehicle off, and that was just barely. To be honest, i think if i didn't still have $14k left on this thing, it'd be somebody else's problem. It's been one thing after another with this vehicle....any info or advice would help. I can't afford to bring it to a shop right now due to getting a much lower paying job.

TL;DR engine wants to melt itself, no blown electrical doohickies.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra View Post
Seems like I picked a real winner buying this vehicle. I'm really at a loss. I posted a few weeks ago about my A/C not working, how sometimes it would work, but most of the time just blows hot humid air. But that's a different story.

Today's issue is engine cooling. I don't know what temperature is "safe" for 2010 V6 engine coolant, but i can guarantee it's not what mine has been getting to. Around 246 degrees, idling in the shade on an 80 degree day. The fans WILL NOT come on if their life depended on it. No blown fuses, no busted relays. Engine is full of the appropriate coolant type. Hell, the dash doesn't even ping saying "engine too hot". Only just today I saw the passenger side fan move when I shut the vehicle off, and that was just barely. To be honest, i think if i didn't still have $14k left on this thing, it'd be somebody else's problem. It's been one thing after another with this vehicle....any info or advice would help. I can't afford to bring it to a shop right now due to getting a much lower paying job.

TL;DR engine wants to melt itself, no blown electrical doohickies.
If there is anyway you can get a power probe to activate your fans just to test them I would start there. I can assure you both your coolant temp and air conditioning issues are because those fans are not kicking on. Have you noticed any change in A/C temp when your car is getting this hot? Testing those fans is where I would start. It would take seconds with a power probe or just a regular old jumper wire.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
^ agree
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
Pluto

Make sure and keep us posted so we can try to help you out as best we can.

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #5
Kobra
Traitor

Drives: 2010 Camaro (BLOWN UP, GOT MUSTANG)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
If there is anyway you can get a power probe to activate your fans just to test them I would start there. I can assure you both your coolant temp and air conditioning issues are because those fans are not kicking on. Have you noticed any change in A/C temp when your car is getting this hot? Testing those fans is where I would start. It would take seconds with a power probe or just a regular old jumper wire.
That's the thing. It's terribly inconsistent. Just today, the car stayed below 200 degrees in 90 degree sunny weather, but the A/C wouldn't come on at all. I had the settings turned to the max, had the "snowflake" button and the "recycle cabin air" button both lit up, and nothing but hot humid Louisiana air blowing out of all 4 vents. At this point, I'm not sure what the actual issue could be. Thermostat, bad switch somewhere, fried wires that I'm not able to see.

Also, how would one use a power probe to test the fans? Is there a guide for such things?
Old 08-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #6
swampcritter

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS / 13 zl1
Your cooling fans should come on when you turn on the AC.That may be why it didn't over heat yesterday because you said you had the AC on.
swampcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra View Post
That's the thing. It's terribly inconsistent. Just today, the car stayed below 200 degrees in 90 degree sunny weather, but the A/C wouldn't come on at all. I had the settings turned to the max, had the "snowflake" button and the "recycle cabin air" button both lit up, and nothing but hot humid Louisiana air blowing out of all 4 vents. At this point, I'm not sure what the actual issue could be. Thermostat, bad switch somewhere, fried wires that I'm not able to see.

Also, how would one use a power probe to test the fans? Is there a guide for such things?
A power probe just has a switch to apply power to whatever it’s touching. I still think you have a fan issue if it’s intermittent. It’s possible you’re not moving enough air even when they’re on. They may be weak. I wouldn’t suspect wiring issues unless you’ve had a rodent problem or inexperienced hands under the hood. The thermostat isn’t likely as when the fans are on the car runs cooler. The thermostat isn’t going to keep your car from cooling.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
NMine would do that when I got the message on my message screen. when I would erase the error code on my code reader, the a/c would come back on. The code is blocking the a/c from powering on. From my experience at least. you may have a different issue.
To note: my original issue is that the engine would not get hot enough, t-stat stuck open. I don't get that message anymore, not in this time of year. In the winter on colder days, I would let it warm up til about 110 deg then drive off. if the temp stays below 160 for too long, the message comes up that the system is turning the a/c off, temp too high, which isn't the case. The computer is just confused since the engine hasn't warmed up yet and cannot go into closed loop operation.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I had a weird thing happen with my 2015 Ford Interceptor the other day. A/C came on when I started it but cut off when I got on the highway. Baffled me for about 30 minutes until I noticed the outside temp read -5*. WTF? Eventually it crept back up to the proper temp and a/c came back. Never knew the two were linked. So an old dog can learn. Don't know if GM is the same. Just curious what yours might be reading.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote