Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2024, 02:02 PM   #57
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:46 PM   #58
SummitWhite11

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:05 PM   #59
SummitWhite11

I did some further research and it seems if taken to a shop they will have to take the windshield out and in some cases replace the windshield. I tell you this whole design is BS. I'm beyond pissed. While I can do a lot of things on my own... this is beyond my expertise. I do not have the time or experience to do the dash removal and looks like it will have to be taken to the dealership to be done right.

The blend door I can do... but entire DASH??!!!

As for now it will be on hold. The wife's radiator in her 2011 Nissan Pathfinder took a dump last night kid you not and has a crack on the top near the radiator cap. I replaced this myself last year May and now it needs replacing again.

Can't Win! She is using my 2015 Xterra which is my DD and I am now using my Camaro with no AC... HA!
Looks like my 3.91 rear end mod and parts I have in the garage is on hold again for who knows how long!??

Old 02-23-2024, 05:14 PM   #60
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
one good thing is its not really a?c weather yet here.be glad it didnt happen in august...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:16 PM   #61
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Turns out its not the high pressure port. I was told it was the evaporator above the transmission that is leaking and the whole friggin dash has to come out! WTH!! Can someone tell me there is a way around this??
The port is definitely leaking and needs to be replaced as well (you can see the green ring around the inside). But holy crap. If the evaporator core is leaking freon, then yea the dash has to come out. The blend door that you replaced sits underneath the core, just to give you an idea of where it is physically located.

Just to give you an idea what needs to be done.

Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM   #62
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The port is definitely leaking and needs to be replaced as well (you can see the green ring around the inside). But holy crap. If the evaporator core is leaking freon, then yea the dash has to come out. The blend door that you replaced sits underneath the core, just to give you an idea of where it is physically located.

Just to give you an idea what needs to be done.

I havent replaced the blend door yet. Its still sitting in the garage if the need ever arises. May as well replace it while the dash is out but how do I trust if the shop will actually install it rather than OEM plastic crap that will break again??

Old 02-23-2024, 05:23 PM   #63
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
one good thing is its not really a?c weather yet here.be glad it didnt happen in august...

We have been having bi polar weather here in North Florida lately and I just want to be prepared.

Old 02-23-2024, 05:27 PM   #64
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I havent replaced the blend door yet. Its still sitting in the garage if the need ever arises. May as well replace it while the dash is out but how do I trust if the shop will actually install it rather than OEM plastic crap that will break again??

While it is out, I would ask if I could take a look and see if it needs to be replaced and do it myself while the dash was out.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:43 PM   #65
SummitWhite11

I believe it finally happened... AC blend door??

Quote:
While it is out, I would ask if I could take a look and see if it needs to be replaced and do it myself while the dash was out.

You are right on that..so many different scenarios pop up in my head and its not a good feeling. The reason I say this is because I had my dash taken out 3 times at a dealership I purchased my former 2011 Summit White Camaro in Coconut Creek, Fl. Reason they took it apart was my HUD failed and was replaced under warranty. I had then found my dash had markings and gouges on it from poor lazy mechanics who couldn’t care less. They had to replace the dash three times with a new one. Unbelievable! On top of that my tan interior was soiled with mechanic grease. The service advisor blamed the leather discoloration was from wear and tear from my usage. I reported them to the BBB etc… This is why I am hesitant and frustrated.

My current 2010 Camaro has HUD that the previous owner had installed. Another fear of mine if this gets SNAFU’D in the process…..

Old 02-24-2024, 02:20 AM   #66
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i had my evaporator done at stingray chevy in plant city.no problems with bad workmanship but i did have to detail it myself since i picked it up on a friday afternoon rather than waiting for their detail people to do it.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 10:55 AM   #67
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i had my evaporator done at stingray chevy in plant city.no problems with bad workmanship but i did have to detail it myself since i picked it up on a friday afternoon rather than waiting for their detail people to do it.

How much did it cost you and how long did they have the car for?

Old 03-03-2024, 10:39 PM   #68
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Posted this in another thread too, but figured I'd try in this thread since it's more recent as well.

I finally got around to climbing under the dash and checking my blend door. When I removed the blend door motor, the blend door seemed to still be all in one piece and I could turn it (to actuate it) with my hand no problem.
With the actuator motor removed and the car running I ran it from warm to cold and watched the actuator motor function as it should slowly spinning the piece that engages with the blend door.
When the car is running, I could manually (by hand) actuate the blend door and sure enough the air would blow cold, when I'd let go of the blend door and let it drop, the air returned to warm.

Test driving it to the parts store and back, with the air on the coldest setting, it still is inconsistent and will fluctuate from ambient air to cold back to ambient etc.

I spent $50 on a can of the r134a refill refrigerant thing from auto zone and attempted to recharge the system, but it had plenty of refrigerant and the needle pointed to the red saying something else was an issue.

Maybe a line is clogged? I guess my only next choice is to take it to an A/C repair shop here in the Scottsdale area and try to have them diagnose the issue.
Through process of elimination I cannot think what else could be an issue other than maybe a clogged line in the system or something?
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:16 AM   #69
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
I spent $50 on a can of the r134a refill refrigerant thing from auto zone and attempted to recharge the system, but it had plenty of refrigerant and the needle pointed to the red saying something else was an issue.
Did the needle stay in the red while the car was running or bouncing back and forth between the red and green? If it was bouncing, then the psi is not stable and is a symptom of being low on freon.

Note, the ambient outside temp has a huge impact on what is considered a good psi range. So if you are trying to fill the freon when it is hot out, the gauge could show red but still be considered low on freon. Also those cheap gauges you get with the freon kits aren't very accurate and I wouldn't trust them. The only true way to tell is either vacuum out the freon and weigh how much is in the system, or use a set of gauges that connect to the high and low side so you can see what both sides are doing at the same time.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:32 PM   #70
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Did the needle stay in the red while the car was running or bouncing back and forth between the red and green? If it was bouncing, then the psi is not stable and is a symptom of being low on freon.

Note, the ambient outside temp has a huge impact on what is considered a good psi range. So if you are trying to fill the freon when it is hot out, the gauge could show red but still be considered low on freon. Also those cheap gauges you get with the freon kits aren't very accurate and I wouldn't trust them. The only true way to tell is either vacuum out the freon and weigh how much is in the system, or use a set of gauges that connect to the high and low side so you can see what both sides are doing at the same time.
Yeah this is what I'm going to have to do next. Going to vacuum it all out and then refill the exact right amount and see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't work then I don't know what I'll do. Maybe buy a new compressor and condenser etc and replace everything...
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote