Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
danrc28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Black on Black
Can my temporary fix void warranty?

So the other day, My car was making a horrible vibration noise around the driveshaft. It was quite a violent sound and sounded like something was getting REALLY damaged. I was not anywhere near my dealer so I passed by a near-by mechanic shop who happens to be a friend to check out how serious it was. He raised the car and found that one of the bolts in the driveshaft pinion was missing. So he put a temporary bolt to keep any further vibrating or damage from occurring. He said that the bolt he put is not the proper bolt but that it should get me to the dealer safely.

So, my question is, is it safe to go to the dealership with this bolt that another mechanic put? Or am I better off asking him to remove it and simply pretend like no one has touched the car. I just dont want them to start messing with my warranty and trying to void it.

PS. I just recently installed coilovers, however I replaced the rears with the stock suspension, as I was worried that they would try to blame the coilovers for this issue, however, the front still has the aftermarket coilovers. I figured that they probably wouldn't notice if the fronts were still on.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Actually most of the time warranty will like the fact that you tried your best to prevent progressive damage. I would be shocked if they were upset about the non factory bolt. As long as your friend didn't screw up the threads with the "not the proper" bolt, you should be fine!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrc28 View Post
PS. I just recently installed coilovers, however I replaced the rears with the stock suspension, as I was worried that they would try to blame the coilovers for this issue, however, the front still has the aftermarket coilovers. I figured that they probably wouldn't notice if the fronts were still on.

Very wise! In my experience, that's exactly the type of thing they might do.

With regard to the bolt, just explain what happened when you drop the car off - that's a temporary fix rather than a modification and shouldn't be a problem at all.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote