Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #99
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I would just replace the struts and be done with it. How much does an extended warranty cost? Compare that against the price of buying two struts out of pocket. Big difference?
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #100
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
IDK....but with labor on top of 1K for new ones.....probably a wash, at least....js
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #101
ZL1DropTop

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
I got the extended warranty. Was still told that these items don't qualify after 36k miles. Has anyone else had this problem and got them replaced under warranty AFTER 36k?
ZL1DropTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #102
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
I think that's BS
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #103
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Drives: 2013 SW ZL1
Just had this happen at 40k miles. Not covered. Crazy.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #104
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafsanjani View Post
Just had this happen at 40k miles. Not covered. Crazy.
Show me a car warranty or truck that cover's wearable items after the limited warranty period...
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #105
2014CamaroZL1

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1
Yes, although...
In cases where such parts have demonstrated on many vehicles to be wearing prematurely, the manufacturer may provide assistance.
We should be complaining as a group to GM, not the dealers.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #106
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The problem is not the seal in the strut. The problem is in the rear IRS geometry and the the hour glass shaped bushing in the upper mount. As the suspension compress and extends the shaft of the strut is under pressure from the rubber in the hour glass shaped upper mount. It is commonly referred to as side load. The side loads are very high in the 5th Gen IRS. If the seal develops a slightly dry spot it gets pinched and the MRC fluid or regular shock oil leak out. We see this in colovers as well.

The incidence of failure is not terribly high, but when it occurs on a MRC unit the repair costs are high. The number of miles is not the issue. It is the motion of the suspension and lubrication of the seal. If you are thinking of lubricating the seal, that too has potential negative issues. Too much lubrication attracts dirt and dirt will wear the seal.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #107
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Drives: 2013 SW ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Show me a car warranty or truck that cover's wearable items after the limited warranty period...
Sorry to offend. I missed the bumper to bumper by 4000 miles and these things are not cheap. Crazy IMO. My opinions do not reflect the opinions of this forum nor its readers as they are my own.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #108
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
The NEW Chevrolet extended warranty and NOT the old GMPP covers the MRC struts from what I have determined.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:33 PM   #109
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
The rears are not struts.They're shock absorbers. It's a wear item, like brake pads, and not covered by warranty. My dealer got GM to cover some of the costs of replacing them though since they failed early.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:34 AM   #110
ZL1-Camaro

Drives: Black M6 2013
I have seen them $ 300 for a pair of used rears with 20k on ebay
ZL1-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #111
Big A

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2010 Camaro SS, DD-Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
The rears are not struts.They're shock absorbers. It's a wear item, like brake pads, and not covered by warranty. My dealer got GM to cover some of the costs of replacing them though since they failed early.
My dealer replaced both rear shocks, UNDER 3yr-36000 WARRANTY, on my car. As I posted earlier don't wipe them off but take to dealer for inspection. As warranty work has no pricing on invoice I took part numbers and checked for retail price on GM Parts Direct and found they would cost, without there discount, $710 each.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #112
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
Under the new Chevrolet Protection Plan it is NOT excluded from the coverage but the older GM Protection Plan did excluded it. GM is no longer pushing the old GM PP due to it being backed by Ally which is no longer in the GM fold so to speak after being spun off.

Check this link and go to protection and check the exclusion list tag under Platinum Coverage, struts nor shocks are listed.

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html

Quote:
PLATINUM COVERAGE
With Platinum Protection, you’ll have our most comprehensive coverage for your Chevy. Platinum is the best way to help ensure that you are protected against potential expensive, covered repairs.
In the event of a covered component failure, even when it is the result of normal wear and tear, you’re protected. The Platinum Plan coverage is an exclusionary coverage. That means that everything is covered on your Chevy unless it is on the Exclusion List.
Quote:
Exclusion List

The Protection Plan does not cover any of the following:

A. Any of the following parts: carburetor, battery and battery cable/harness (unless listed as specific covered parts), standard transmission clutch assembly, friction clutch disc and pressure plate, distributor cap and rotor, glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, fuses, circuit breakers, cellular phones, game centers, AM/FM radio/cassette/CD players exceeding $3,000 repair or replacement cost, speakers, audio/video equipment, pixel damage due to impact on display screens, key fobs, tire pressure sensors, remote control consoles, radar detection devices, brake rotors and drums, all exhaust components, and the following emission components: EGR purge valve/solenoids/sensors, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/lines/valves, catalytic converter/filtering/sensors, emission vapor sensors, gas cap/filler neck, weather strips, trim, moldings, bright metal chrome, upholstery and carpet, paint, outside ornamentation, bumpers, body sheet metal and panels, frame and structural body parts, vinyl and convertible tops, any convertible top assemblies, hardware or linkages, tires, and wheels/rims. External nuts, bolts, and fasteners are not covered except where required in conjunction with a covered repair.

B. Maintenance services and parts described in your vehicle’s Owner’s Manual as supplied by the manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts, which include, but are not limited to: alignments, adjustments, wheel balancing, tune-ups, spark plugs, spark plug wires, glow plugs, hoses, drive belts, brake pads, brake linings/shoes, and wiper blades. Filters, lubricants, coolants, fluids, and refrigerants will be covered only if replacement is required in connection with a breakdown.

C. Any damage and/or breakdown resulting from collision, road hazard, fire, theft, vandalism, riot, acts of terrorism, explosion, lightning, earthquake, freezing, rust or corrosion, windstorm, hail, water or flood, acts of God, salt, environmental damage, chemicals, contamination of fluids, fuels, coolants, or lubricants.

D. Any breakdown caused by misuse, abuse, negligence, lack of normal maintenance required by the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for your vehicle, or improper servicing or repairs subsequent to purchase. For any breakdown caused by sludge buildup resulting from your failure to perform recommended maintenance services, or failure to maintain proper levels of lubricants and/or coolants, or breakdowns caused by fuels containing more than 10 percent ethanol (if the engine was not manufactured for this fuel mixture), or failure to protect your vehicle from further damage when a breakdown has occurred or failure to have your vehicle towed to the service facility when continued operation may result in further damage. Continued operation includes your failure to observe warning lights, gauges, or any other signs of overheating or component failure, such as, fluid leakage, slipping, knocking, or smoking, and not protecting your vehicle by continuing to drive, creating damage beyond the initial failure.

E. Any repair or replacement of any covered part if a breakdown has not occurred. Any part that a repair facility or manufacturer recommends or requires be replaced or repaired or is an update, and is not a breakdown, is your responsibility and expense.

F. Any alterations that have been made to your vehicle or use of your vehicle in a manner not recommended by the manufacturer, including but not limited to the failure of any custom or add-on part, all frame or suspension modifications, lift kits, any tire that is not recommended by the original manufacturer if it creates an odometer/speedometer variance of greater than 4 percent, and trailer hitches. Also not covered are any emissions and/or exhaust systems modifications, engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modifications.

G. If, while owned by you, your odometer has ceased to operate and odometer repairs have not been made immediately, or the odometer has been altered in any way subsequent to purchase of the contract.

H. If your vehicle has ever been a total loss, salvaged, rebuilt, or is a gray market vehicle.

I. Any liability for property damage, or for injury to or death of any person arising out of the operation, maintenance, or use of your vehicle described in the contract, whether or not related to the parts covered. Loss of use, time, profit, inconvenience, or any other consequential loss, including any consequential damage to a noncovered part that results from a breakdown.

J. Any breakdown where the manufacturer is responsible for the repair or if the breakdown is covered by a repairer’s guarantee/warranty (regardless of manufacturer’s or repairer’s ability to pay for such repairs).

K. If your vehicle is used for towing (unless your vehicle is equipped with a factory-installed or factory-authorized tow package), or is used as a commercial unit (unless appropriate surcharge is marked on Registration Page and only as defined under “Definitions,” “Commercial Use”), or is used for rental, taxi, limousine, shuttle, towing/wrecker service, dumping (dump beds), cherry pickers, lifting or hoisting, police or emergency service, principally off-road use, prearranged or organized racing, or competitive driving.

L. Any pre-existing condition or any breakdown occurring before coverage takes effect or prior to the contract purchase date, or if the information provided by you or the repair facility cannot be verified as accurate or is found to be deceptively inaccurate.

M. Breakdowns that occur and/or repairs made outside of the United States of America and Canada.

N. Diagnostic and/or teardown procedures that are not listed, or are in excess of the times listed in the current year’s national flat rate hourly guide in conjunction with a covered repair.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 10-04-2015 at 09:52 AM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown, struts, zl1