Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #29
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientweather View Post
I know you have all given this some thought. Do you think the 2011 Convertible Camaro will become a collector car 25 years down the road? I tend to think so, and here is my argument...
Yes, I do.

1. Limited production run. 2011 was a limited and short production run for the Vert. Chevy is already accepting orders for the 2012. Some colors like RJT have been discontinued because of the Japaneese quake.
This is very true. These will be the only RJT 5th Gen. Verts.

2. Classic styling. As I read in a previous article, this car is "classic cool". Some cars look dated, but the 1967-69 still looks fresh. On the other hand, Gen4 (1993-2002) looks dated. Gen5 followed the styling of Gen1.
I agree. But I think GM could've done better with the 4th Gen design. Dont get me wrong, it's a good looking car. But the first time I saw it I thought it looked dated. But that could just be me.

3. Transformers. The kids of this generation will be the collectors in 25 years, with disposable income.
This could be a big profit for Transformers Edition owners out there for collectors.

4. Camaro Gen6. This is the big question. How long will Chevy produce this car until it begins to look stale in the eyes of the consumer.
If all depends on design. You have the Nissan Maxima who has had 8 generations, and when I see a new Maxima, I don't think of it as old. However, I see where you're coming from. If Chevrolet can keep a good design on the Camaro, and a good motor in the hood, they could keep the Camaro around for many, many years.

My advice is to hang on to this car, even if there is a lot of pressure to sell in 10-20 years.

Theres my opinion.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #30
drknow90rs

Drives: '90 RS 427ci LS-1, '86 IROC 305 TPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
A couple of factors for collectability, rareness and condition.

The convertible won't be "rare". There should easily be 10,000 plus 2011s on the road. Is there a rare option that would make your car 1 of 50? No, GM doesn't build cars with a clean sheet ordering process like they used to which could create some rare option. Does it have a rare powertrain? No. Having an option like the disc brake package which I understand is one of the differentiators between a $40,000 69 Z28 and a $100,000 Z28 isn't really possible today.

Condition. Well, as said above, you can store it, or you can drive it and restore it. But I can assure you most of the high dollar cars you see are barely getting the restoration costs back. Rebuilding a car from the body up is not a cheap proposition.

And lastly, you have to go 40 to 50 years, not 25 to get any real money. 25 years ago was 1986. How much does a low mileage mint 86 Camaro go for these days?

Lastly, even if you had all of the above going for you, you would still be far better of investing the cash than counting on your Camaro to provide a financial windfall.

Drive it and enjoy it.

Yep! I have a rare '86 IROC painted in 51U (Yellow.) with only 53,000 miles. One of only 3,905 (And only 261 were IROC's that year.) still the original paint. Worth? 9K. In another 10 years, who knows? Maybe worth as much as it's sticker price of 17K...

Sometimes rarity can make them valuable (Like the '89 Trans Am TTA.)

Verts will be worth more in the future, but living in AZ has it's issues too. (The plastics, top, leather and cloth all take a beating here. Also, the bumper covers warp in the heat.)
drknow90rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #31
ambientweather

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS
Yes, but this car is garaged whenever not driven. I just get the feeling that a lot of owners will hold on to this car longer than, say, a Nisson Maxima. My neighbor seems to get a new one every few years.
ambientweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #32
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
There are several points which I feel must be made on this subject. First, the 1969 Camaro was well on it's way to becoming a classic as early as 1974. The 1969 Camaro SS 350ci coupe that our family owned was purchased in 1973 for $1500. By 1975 we were getting offers for $5000. Why? Several reasons. First, it was an awsome looking car, much more attractive in the eyes of many than the 2nd gen Camaros. Second, it had very little in the way of pollution (power) control. Government regulations were becoming increasingly stringent in the early '70's. The power teams offered by Chevy starting in 1970 were much less eye-popping than in 1969. Thirdly, the '70's were ushering in a period of very high inflation, many years being double digit inflation years. The cost of a new car in the late '70's was rising to triple the price for a base '69 Camaro!

Finally, the late '60's were the "heyday" of the baby boomers. They were teenagers at the time and now they (we) have become a bunch of middle-aged boomers with money in mid-life crisis trying to recapture our youth. What better way than to reacquire the car we learned to drive in?

So then, will the 2011 Pacecar replica become a classic? It depends. Many of the above factors could certainly repeat themselves; if the US debt continues to mount, you can count on another period of very high inflation. If the government continues on the path of fuel efficiceny and alternate fuel, the current models could very well be sought after. But like anything else, it's a gamble. You have to look into your crystal ball. But I think it should become evident very early, say in 5 years if it's going to happen.

I, for one, am gambling on classic. Mine should be here next month!
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #33
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
I think the Indy model since it is limited production and the fact it is the 100th anniversary race of the Indy speedway. YES.
All other Camaro verts..NO
Old 05-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #34
Indy500Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I think the Indy model since it is limited production and the fact it is the 100th anniversary race of the Indy speedway. YES.
All other Camaro verts..NO
So check this out, besides the 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car Camaro hitting a home run with the retro look of the 69 read below;

Senate passes bill recognizing 100th anniversary of Indy 500.

Americans began racing cars just as soon as they started to appear on our streets, as evidenced by the fact that the Indianapolis 500 has been going strong for 100 years. The U.S. Senate wanted to tip its collective hat to commemorate that momentous occasion, so our senators decided to pass a resolution officially recognizing the race for its longevity. And since it doesn't cost anything to recognize a date, the resolution was passed unanimously.

In other interesting Indianapolis 500 news, the event's 100-year history also coincides with the 100-year anniversary of Chevrolet. The company and the race are so intertwined that Arthur Chevrolet, who's brother Louis founded the Bowtie Brand, ran the very first Indianapolis 500. Louis actually ran the race himself in 1915 and 1919, while another brother Gaston took first place in 1920. The 2011 Camaro Convertible will fittingly serve as the pace car for this year's event.

Then put AJ Foyt in the driver’s seat and I think you have a very, very collectable Camaro.
Indy500Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #35
rockymtnroadtrip

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS Gray
Hell, it's ALREADY a collector car! People were practically fighting over the one I ended up buying. Think "instant classic"!

rockymtnroadtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 10:11 AM   #36
DougW

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet 2SS/RS Camaro conver
So, I recently purchased a pristine 2011 SS/RS Convertible with only 7557 on the clock. Summit White w/Inferno Orange stripes and Inferno Orange Interior Accent package, the leather still smells new. It is definitely not going to be a daily driver and I will keep the miles down while enjoying it on weekends and special occasions. It stickered new in 11 at 44.5k, I purchased for 28k. Not gonna be worrying about any returns on it, other than smiles created by the warm sun and some AC/DC cranked up! Dammit, just gave away my age!
Attached Images

DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:06 PM   #37
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
It doesn't matter what they're worth if you don't plan on selling them. My '74 K5/Blazer is valued higher than my 2010 Camaro SS. But I plan on holding on to both of them. "The Blue one is for going around shit, the red one is for going through it."
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:40 PM   #38
Dirgam

Drives: 2012 VR GFX SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by At 49, I don't count on being here 25 or 35 years from now. Well yes, but not above ground necessarily - through no choice of my own.

[B
Bottom line: Enjoy it, life can be too short! I've seen it happen.[/B]
Yup that's the benefit to being old. I will not live long enough to have to worry about it, my investment was the enjoyment of driving.
Old 12-31-2023, 02:42 PM   #39
Dirgam

Drives: 2012 VR GFX SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angella View Post
im with you there! im only 25~ and im bringing this car down to the grave with me~ atleast the coffin will be cheap and ill rest as a happy woman forever!
Love it. Also, I'm an old Coastie