Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Duper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / RS
Video Review of the Scosche Kit + Settings Overview

I replaced my metra kit with the Scosche kit, here's a video review of the pros and cons.

Pros:
  • The install was MUCH easier than the Metra kit - basically plug and play (just follow the directions - not many wires to splice and there isn't another box you need to tuck under there.
  • Most importantly: the kit looks better than the Metra in my opinion, a little more like how a stock setup should have been for a 2010 Camaro (that old radio is UGLY and the metra was plain)
  • The touch screen controls work nice (although there's a little glare) and the steering wheel controls work like stock
  • All of the car settings are supported and controlled within the touch screen of the Scosche kit (that's a separate unit for the Metra kit).
Cons:
  • The two pieces of the unit (face and bottom piece) are glued together and not all that well. It separated on me just a little so be careful with yours or maybe even reinforce it yourself with a little extra glue or another plastic bar over those pieces on the sides.
  • Getting the head unit to fit right was a chore - had to screw the kit back in an out a few times and bend the brackets a bit to make it fit right. Even then, the gap at the top is a little more obvious than it should be.
  • The directions could have included some actual diagrams on how to get the center console / dash apart (instead of just text descriptions with part #s).
  • The speaker that produces the door chimes, blinkers, and back-up sensors is mounted somewhere inside the kit and sounds a little cheap
  • Doesn't come with Onstar support built in (probably to keep the cost down). As I write this, it's not available yet but should be shortly (CAMOSM is the model # I believe); Metra supported OnStar but the setup was a little difficult and prone to issues.

Overall: 3.5 stars out of 5 (I'd rate the Metra 2.5 out of 5 as comparison)
I like it better than my metra kit so I'll be keeping it... (Just sold my used Metra to someone for $50 + shipping).

Here's the video review and some photos of the install:

Here's a quick overview of the settings that are available in the Scosche kit and a tutorial on how to use it:

Attached Images

Last edited by Duper; 01-23-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Duper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Nice review, looks pretty good. I am staying with our Metra for the time being..
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
what all comes with the metra kit ?
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Looks good! Bummer about the mounting. Is it possible you can "improve" the mounting?

I also have a control question, can you control the car settings with this kit?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipped416 View Post
what all comes with the metra kit ?
Everything that came with it new, except it's been installed once. But PM me if your interested in it.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195970 check out my build pics later this week, we put the mini remote in the roof console, pics should be posted next week..just to give you some other ideas
Old 01-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195970 check out my build pics later this week, we put the mini remote in the roof console, pics should be posted next week..just to give you some other ideas
Oh yeah, I'm already subscribed to your thread, Mike. Can't wait to see how it turns out. In retrospect, I should have done it right from scratch like you're doing. I did mine in phases but I didn't really know what my goals were so I've been tearing my car apart and putting it back together over and over again for about a year + now!

BTW, what 'mini remote' are you talking about specifically? You mean the BitOne remote? I thought about putting it there too but wasn't sure I wanted it that high. Yeah, can't wait to see how that looks!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Looks good! Bummer about the mounting. Is it possible you can "improve" the mounting?

I also have a control question, can you control the car settings with this kit?
Yes, you can program the car settings from the Scosche kit.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper View Post
Oh yeah, I'm already subscribed to your thread, Mike. Can't wait to see how it turns out. In retrospect, I should have done it right from scratch like you're doing. I did mine in phases but I didn't really know what my goals were so I've been tearing my car apart and putting it back together over and over again for about a year + now!

BTW, what 'mini remote' are you talking about specifically? You mean the BitOne remote? I thought about putting it there too but wasn't sure I wanted it that high. Yeah, can't wait to see how that looks!
yes i believe thats it, they took down the trim part around the dome/garage door openers and reowked it and it fits flush within the trim part..reaching up seems less intrusive then taking eyes off road and reacing across dash under radio...i guess we will see.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
holy crap, im glad i did not wait for that kit, and went with the metra 6 months ago. The Scosche kit doesnt even fit right (awful gaps) and onstar is disabled. WEAK. 3.5 outta 5 thats no good for how long people waited for this.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
What gaps are you referring to, the ones under the dash kit. Because when I drive with a passenger the first place they look is under my dash. (Sarcasm)
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by black. View Post
What gaps are you referring to, the ones under the dash kit. Because when I drive with a passenger the first place they look is under my dash. (Sarcasm)
Haha. Just cause others can't see it doesn't mean it's not there or cheaply made.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
Hamilton2400

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra/2015 GMC Acadia
I love this kit. Well worth the wait. Scosche did an awesome job on the touch screen hvac controls. I have no gaps in my kit.
Hamilton2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
probably depends on you head unit as well.
black. is offline   Reply With Quote