Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
DropTopZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black on Black
Burning oil odor from vents on all ZL1's? The GM District Manager says it's normal

Hello fellow ZL1 owners, I have a question for all of you. I traded in my 640rwhp C6 Z06 for a brand new 2013 ZL1 convertible in January of 2013 due to the wife saying I needed a back seat for the little one.

Since then I have had my car at the dealership 7 times for a total of 45 days due to a burning oil smell from the A/C vents at normal operating temperatures and I'm at a stop or slow roll (ie. traffic). This burning oil smell is more prominent for the 1st 2,000 miles post an oil change. Yes, I did watch the technician perform the oil change twice and made sure they did not spill a drop of oil anywhere.

The dealership asked me to bring the vehicle in yesterday to meet with the General Motors District Manager. I met with the GM District Manager and let him experience the smell. His response was that the GM engineers are aware of this smell and that it's a normal smell for this vehicle. He offered to give me $5,000 towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle and they would take my vehicle in at trade in value.

I am not an automotive mechanic however I am an electrical/mechanical/chemical engineer and I'm pretty sure the smell of burning oil coming through the A/C vents means there's an active oil leak outside of the block somewhere. When the vehicle was on the rack at one point I did see a small amount of oil on the bottom of the bell housing.

I've always been loyal to GM but this makes me want to never buy another GM vehicle ever again.

What are your thoughts?
Do all of you experience this same odor?
Does it ever completely go away?

Thanks,

Anthony
DropTopZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I don't have any oil related odors that I smell while inside the car.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
No issue and I drive it like I stole it. I do have a catch can and run amisoil but the brand of oil shouldn't matter. Hope you work it out sorry for the issue.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
So I had the smell, I tracked it to the oil stick tube thing. Which I suspect is normal. What I did to make it go away is to adjust the rubber hood seal by just pinching it.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
VegasZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28
I've noticed the same thing. It's irritating.
VegasZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Lots of threads on this and in short it's normal for these cars and it's a Vapor smell and not an oil leak. Some have had the rear main seal replaced and it can help but for the most part it decreaes over time.

Mine does it but less now than when I first purchasd it and that was just 4 weeks ago. Not a huge deal to me as long as I know there is no oil leak. And, when you mash the throttle I'm too busy hanging on to notice it any longer

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
Snickers
Rumblebee

Drives: ZL1 Rally Yellow
Haven't had any odor in my ZL since it was new, has 6800km now.

'13 A6
Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
All good on my car also,have not had any oil smell at all. I would think if you are getting that smell thru the A/C vents that you have a seal leaking in the A/C compressor.Now it has oil in it and I would ask the tech or the GM guy to change it out. That is where I would start if mine was doing that.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
DropTopZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Lots of threads on this and in short it's normal for these cars and it's a Vapor smell and not an oil leak. Some have had the rear main seal replaced and it can help but for the most part it decreaes over time.

Mine does it but less now than when I first purchasd it and that was just 4 weeks ago. Not a huge deal to me as long as I know there is no oil leak. And, when you mash the throttle I'm too busy hanging on to notice it any longer
I had the rear main seal replaced and the problem still exists, also GM brought up the idea that it's a vapor coming from the hoses in the cooling system however when they looked into it they found my vehicle wasn't part of this TSB. The service director at the dealership put the car on the rack so I can inspect it with him and his master technician and we found a small amount of oil at the bottom of the bell housing meaning there's oil coming from somewhere. The oil smell is the strongest post an oil change for the first couple thousand miles and gets weaker after that, meaning wherever it's leaking from is higher up and eventually it leaks out enough to where the oil level is below the leaking point.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
sounds like the rear main seal. there were a number of them that had crushed or damaged seals from when they were put together. you should see no oil dripping from anywhere. rear main seal is covered in 100k mile warranty
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
DropTopZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
sounds like the rear main seal. there were a number of them that had crushed or damaged seals from when they were put together. you should see no oil dripping from anywhere. rear main seal is covered in 100k mile warranty
Rear main seal was replaced already.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
there were also a handful or so cars that had a cross threaded oil cooler bolt.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Never a smell ever out of mine. The idea that it is "normal" for "this car" is bullshit. There is nothing about this engine that is different than any other that should cause a smell. Lemon Law states that same problem recurring over 3 times without resolution that they should buy the car back from you for what you paid or replace it with another brand new car. Getting trade-in value for it is bullshit too.

There was a thread by a forum member last year in which he had an oil leak that took forever to find. It ended up being a PCV rubber grommet that was "mis-punched" and excess crankcase pressure was blowing oil out the seals. I believe it was the same car that he totaled right before they(Chevy) were going to buy it back from him.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
You were given some nice options by GM! Take the offer of a trade and the 5G's towards and get another one! Take your mulligan and move on to a new one! Sounds like this one has lost that lovin feeling with you so I think you should move on to another!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burning oil, lemon law, oil odor, oil smell, zl1 issues