Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2021, 02:55 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Why is my car locking itself?

Lately, ever since I started having battery issues and replaced the battery, the car has locked itself a few times for no apparent reason. It's not a really big deal since I never leave the keys in the car, but I was curious as to why it might be doing that.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I've had the FOB in my pocket many times and locked/unlocked/or set off the panic alarm just from it moving around in there.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
My car used to do this when I had a water issue in my driver side door harness. Also, it can happen if you have messed with stereo (or any other) wiring, for example installing an aftermarket head unit. The door lock buttons run through the CanBus decoder used for aftermarket systems.

Assuming none of this fits your scenario, I would consider what Moto-Mojo said. Maybe its a sensitive FOB playing games with you? But I would also take a step back and think about ANY other things the car has had issues with lately and if there is any relation. The electrical system in these cars are so dang sensitive and are greatly susceptible to add-on devices, electrical interference, or any changes made to the original wiring.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Start with the owners manual since it lists all the locking options.
Yep, i've bent over with the keys on me and hit every possible thing the fob will do.
How many times I've walked in the shop and found the trunk opened is ridiculous.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Start with the owners manual since it lists all the locking options.
Yep, i've bent over with the keys on me and hit every possible thing the fob will do.
How many times I've walked in the shop and found the trunk opened is ridiculous.
Haha, same here. It is usually after I have gotten into the driver's seat, nice and comfortable and belted in. Then I see the DIC message 'Trunk Open'.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I had a car that would lock itself after 30 seconds. I found out because one time I opened the passenger door to put my crap in and reached through to put the key in the ignition to start the car. I closed the passenger door and walked around to the driver's door. By the time I got there, the doors had locked. I was in a parking garage with the engine running and doors locked in STL in the winter at 10 degrees and 30 miles from home in the middle of a snow storm. I had to wait several hours for a tow truck to show up and open the door. I went to the dealership and had that programming changed the next day.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #7
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Long time ago I came out of the shop after a very long day. Got in my 89 GTA and someone called me back, like a dummy I locked the door with the engine running not thinking. Came back 1/2 hr later jammed a coat hanger in the door and unlocked it. Those were the days.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
I've had this happen many, many times OP. I will NOT leave my keys in the car, ever. Ive had the keys on the ground, car in the garage walking by it not even touching the car, and hear it lock itself. It hasn't been a "Problem", I just have learned not to leave the keys in it, ever.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
There are several locking options that you can change through settings in the radio. One of them I think is called Delayed Auto Lock. After you open the door, when you close the door the car will automatically lock after so long. Turned that setting off 1st day I got the car.

If you had battery issues and replaced the battery, it's possible the settings could have changed back to factory settings.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:04 AM   #10
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
There are several locking options that you can change through settings in the radio. One of them I think is called Delayed Auto Lock. After you open the door, when you close the door the car will automatically lock after so long. Turned that setting off 1st day I got the car.

If you had battery issues and replaced the battery, it's possible the settings could have changed back to factory settings.
I have an aftermarket radio and a different than stock surround. But there are two buttons on the surround that I've been curious about. On is a locked lock, the other is an unlocked lock. Could these be what you are referring to?. I'll try to get a pic in the morning.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #11
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Mine occasionally locks itself also, and seems to maybe happen more when it's wet. I figure there is chaffing on the door wiring harness that I need to track down. It's not an autolock option problem on mine.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #12
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
It's the GM curse. I've owned 4 GM products over the years that did this and it had nothing to do with the fob. In three of the cases, there was no fob to begin with. Out of the almost 80 cars I have owned probably a third of them have had power door locks and the only time this issue ever cropped up was in an 86 Camaro, 91 Camaro, 92 Firebird and my 04 Monte Carlo.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 11:30 AM   #13
Celticclark

Drives: 2010 CamaroSS 1954Belair 28 Model A
Mine has suddenly started doing this. What is the cure?
Celticclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:42 AM   #14
11/SS/RS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I have an aftermarket radio and a different than stock surround. But there are two buttons on the surround that I've been curious about. On is a locked lock, the other is an unlocked lock. Could these be what you are referring to?. I'll try to get a pic in the morning.
Are those the lock and unlock buttons for the doors?