Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 11-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
slickdave
My Favorite Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Vibration in Steering wheel

2013 ZL1. Owned since new, automatic. Never been in accident, or driven by anyone but myself. Problem started at about 30,000 km (18,000 miles) when the car was 33 months old and still under factory warranty, it does have a the most comprehensive GMPP extended warranty I could purchase when new so its still covered until June 2019.
I have a vibration felt in the steering wheel. On perfect pavement, I can start to feel it around 80 km or 50 mph but its minor. The vibration is noticeable around 65 mph and gets more evident at around 72 mph (and above), which is the exact speed which we drive the car on the express way (just under the radar, so to speak).
No vibration visible in the rear view mirror, but I have a cell phone mount that fastens with a suction cup on the windshield and the vibration is transmitted through it the same as the steering wheel.
New OEM tires and OEM wheels changed, at the same time the vibration was notice (now we know is a pure coincidence) since then tires have been force balanced no less than 8-10 times at 3 different locations.
I have a complete set of OEM rims with snow tires to drive the car in cold weather (also force balance 3 times). Regardless of which set are on the car, Vibration is exactly the same, so this is not a tire or wheel vibration.
Driveshaft, front hubs, front brake rotors (my cost) , upper and lower control arms have been replaced with no change in vibrations. Alignment has been checked twice. I believe they have gone through all, and any diagnostic checks (plugging in computer and not changing parts). Rear differential was changed in year one (before the vibration) when they couldn’t get rid of a whine in the rear end.
If you hold in 6th gear and apply full throttle, the shake is more violent. If placed in neutral, the vibration is still there.
Over the last 2 and a half years the car has been into 2 different dealers no less that a dozen times. It currently has 60,000km or 37000 miles, and will be out of warranty next summer. This is my daily driver in the spring summer and fall. Both dealers say they don’t know where to go from here. The "inference" from them is that unless they can identify a problem, they won’t get reimbursed from GM for their time spent to troubleshoot the problem.
Car is completely stock. I’m not sure if this is a ZL1 specific problem, or a Camaro problem. HELP please.
slickdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
On perfect pavement, I can start to feel it around 80 km or 50 mph but its minor. The vibration is noticeable around 65 mph and gets more evident at around 72 mph (and above),

You are describing a wheel balance problem.. I have had to have Discount tire on many occasions get a tech in to recalibrate their balancer/Road Force machine to get a good balance.. assuming you do have a set that is balanced you could still have a stuck caliper since you said you changed the rotors. If any of the pistons are sticking they will heat up the rotor at speed and it will eventually cause a shimmy in the wheel on the most contaminated area of the rotor. If you wash the car and don't drive it the rotors easily pit on this car and you really need to stand on the brakes several times to clean up the pitting. If there is any left and you do have a sticking caliper that section of the rotors will get hot and grab the pads and force a shimmy at 60 plus.

There is nothing in the drive line that's going to cause the steering wheel to shimmy.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
slickdave
My Favorite Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
On perfect pavement, I can start to feel it around 80 km or 50 mph but its minor. The vibration is noticeable around 65 mph and gets more evident at around 72 mph (and above),

You are describing a wheel balance problem.. I have had to have Discount tire on many occasions get a tech in to recalibrate their balancer/Road Force machine to get a good balance.. assuming you do have a set that is balanced you could still have a stuck caliper since you said you changed the rotors. If any of the pistons are sticking they will heat up the rotor at speed and it will eventually cause a shimmy in the wheel on the most contaminated area of the rotor. If you wash the car and don't drive it the rotors easily pit on this car and you really need to stand on the brakes several times to clean up the pitting. If there is any left and you do have a sticking caliper that section of the rotors will get hot and grab the pads and force a shimmy at 60 plus.

There is nothing in the drive line that's going to cause the steering wheel to shimmy.
Thanks for your input, but as mentioned, the tires have been balanced multiple times at 3 different locations. We have 2 different set of wheels. Same vibration regardless of which wheels. When the front rotors were changed, the front rotors were serviced. Throughout the process the vibration has never changed, it has always been exactly the same.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdave View Post
Thanks for your input, but as mentioned, the tires have been balanced multiple times at 3 different locations. We have 2 different set of wheels. Same vibration regardless of which wheels. When the front rotors were changed, the front rotors were serviced. Throughout the process the vibration has never changed, it has always been exactly the same.

So you are confident you have a good set of balanced wheels, when the rotors were serviced were the calipers checked..
Old 11-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Balancing isn't always going to solve vibration problems. Have the wheels been checked for run-out? Sounds like a couple bent rims. You can balance all you want but it will still shake.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
ZO6 Bryan

PS wheels should have been the first thing checked before the driveshaft and suspension parts were swapped. Swapping to a different driveshaft is as likely to create a shake as it is to fix it. I would check run-out on the driveshaft too. Driveshafts are factory balanced on the car. Swapping is a sure way to create a shake. Even unbolting a driveshaft and turning it around when you bolt it back up can be a problem.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #7
ZO6 Bryan

Quote:
New OEM tires and OEM wheels changed, at the same time the vibration was notice (now we know is a pure coincidence)
I disagree.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
slickdave
My Favorite Camaro

Vibration in steering wheel

The dealerships both chased the wheel vibration both through the tires and rim run out. The vibration started before the original wheels were replaced under warranty for corrosion. When replaced, a new set of tire was installed as well. Keep in mind, the vibration had not changed. The second set of wheels that I run with winter tires were new as well. Please note, the vibration has never changed at all after each balance, or part change regardless of which part was changed. The front rotors were replaced (because they turn, and we are running out of possibilities, and they are 2 piece) There was no change after this was done. As originally mentioned, I am the only driver of the car, so it has never run into anything. I am starting to wonder if this problem could be a Camaro problem as opposed to a ZL1 problem. I am new to posting, should I post this on the general forum as well?
Old 11-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
ZMEnow

Quote:
The dealerships both chased the wheel vibration both through the tires and rim run out. The vibration started before the original wheels were replaced under warranty for corrosion. When replaced, a new set of tire was installed as well. Keep in mind, the vibration had not changed. The second set of wheels that I run with winter tires were new as well. Please note, the vibration has never changed at all after each balance, or part change regardless of which part was changed. The front rotors were replaced (because they turn, and we are running out of possibilities, and they are 2 piece) There was no change after this was done. As originally mentioned, I am the only driver of the car, so it has never run into anything. I am starting to wonder if this problem could be a Camaro problem as opposed to a ZL1 problem. I am new to posting, should I post this on the general forum as well?

If the vibration gradually increases ( Wheel shimmy's as speed increases) it has to be in the wheel hub area or wheel attached. If you are confident that you have a perfect set of wheel/tire combo's up front then as I mentioned before, I would be checking both front calipers for any binding against the rotors. when this happens you wont get a wheel shimmy until the rotor heats up.

This isn't a Camaro related issue, it's in the hub area.. You mentioned you had the OEM wheel's replaced due to corrosion, what does that mean? They are aluminum. Also the only other vehicle that I have that can sit for week/months at a time besides my Z is my F150, and I have to constantly clean the front rotors to prevent wheel shimmy at 65 plus mph.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #10
slickdave
My Favorite Camaro

Vibration in steering wheel

Both sets of wheels have been confirmed to be fine. Force balanced multiple times at 3 different locations. When the new rotors were replaced they serviced the front calipers at that time. The wheels were replaced under factory warranty because of surface pitting through the clear coat. Hubs are new as well.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
Boother

Drives: 14 ZL1
Have the front radius rods and lower control arm been replaced? The dual ball joint suspension design is prone to a vibration if a ball joint or bushing is bad.
Boother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #12
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boother View Post
Have the front radius rods and lower control arm been replaced? The dual ball joint suspension design is prone to a vibration if a ball joint or bushing is bad.
He noted in his original post upper and lower arms were replaced. I don’t think a radius arm bushing is going to allow the actual steering wheel to increase a shimmy as speed increases.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #13
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Might have been mentioned, but check your lug nuts to see if they are torqued to spec. I replaced my front strut, and forgot to torque my lug nuts on that wheel (rookie mistake), thankfully they were tight. Long story short, I felt a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. Thought I knocked the suspension out of alignment at first, but found my lug nuts weren't torqued. All is good now.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #14
duntuatha

Drives: SIM ZL1
Unhappy

I am having the same problem with my 2014 ZL1 but one exception. A lady cut me off and caused me to run off the road. The whole passenger side front suspension had to be replaced along with the cradle. After about 3 different times of having it road forced balanced and checking the control arms I just gave up on being able to get it fixed. Edit: mine is also only noticed when I am on a super smooth black top road.
duntuatha is offline   Reply With Quote