Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
ps2ren

Drives: Camaro SS
Header + exhaust actual results?

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting LT headers and a full exhaust swap on my 2010 L99 SS, and I have been reading all over the forums about the changes it will bring.
Some people claim the exhaust alone will not change anything but the sound, because the stock pipes are not too restrictive.
Especially the drone free Corsa for the L99 won't even bring up the volume too much without changing the headers.

--- Is it true that changing exhaust alone will not change performance much?

I'm pretty much set on Corsa because it's safe for the L99 with no drone. Then I have found kook/ stainless works are two common headers to go with corsa
The total cost seems to be about the $1000 mark for the pipes and around 500 for install as I understand.

--- Does $2500~$3000 sound reasonable for LT headers + exhaust swap including labor?
--- How will this change the MPG? Some have claimed it should go up but I want someone with the actual mods to confirm please.

Also I would love to hear Corsa and any type of LT headers on a L99 in person, I live in Philly, anyone in east PA or mid/south NJ have these mods?

Lastly if anyone in the area have done the retro fit HUD please let me know too, I'm trying to add it to mine, but a bit scared of errors...... will pay for your time

I know I'm asking a lot~ I will post more model shots with my car as reward as incentive lol

Also my goal is to improve the sound a bit while gaining whatever bhp I can get without hurting the mpg too much (even better if I can improve it).
The sound level should be a bit higher than stock but nothing crazy below 3000 rpms, feel free to give me suggestions >___<
Old 11-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Around the board, just changing exhaust will gain around 5-10 rwhp alone with an axle back system. Those huge suitcase mufflers are heavy and restrictive. Adding LTs without a tune and you're going to be looking at around 30-35 rwhp gains if not a little more.

I just had a cam and LTs installed with a tune and gained 100 rwhp. I still have stock cat backs. Once I upgrade those I should gain another 10-15 rwhp. So compared, you should be pretty close to 35ish in gains.

I've heard mixed reports about mpg, but I would think it would improve slightly. I wouldn't expect much difference though.

$2500 for a full install would be the most I would pay. Labor shouldn't be much since everything is pretty much bolt ons and shouldn't take long to install. Corsa IMHO sound the best on L99s and a solid choice. GL!!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
Around the board, just changing exhaust will gain around 5-10 rwhp alone with an axle back system. Those huge suitcase mufflers are heavy and restrictive. Adding LTs without a tune and you're going to be looking at around 30-35 rwhp gains if not a little more.

I just had a cam and LTs installed with a tune and gained 100 rwhp. I still have stock cat backs. Once I upgrade those I should gain another 10-15 rwhp. So compared, you should be pretty close to 35ish in gains.

I've heard mixed reports about mpg, but I would think it would improve slightly. I wouldn't expect much difference though.

$2500 for a full install would be the most I would pay. Labor shouldn't be much since everything is pretty much bolt ons and shouldn't take long to install. Corsa IMHO sound the best on L99s and a solid choice. GL!!
Where have you seen 5-10 rwhp gains from a catback/axle back install?? Please show me dyno sheets, because from what I've seen (even from vendors and engine builders), you gain nothing but sound from a catback install, especially an axle back install.
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
ps2ren

Quote:

Cool, I see lot of Corsa online for $1100+ and the headers are around $1000 also, what will it cost for both to be installed and tuned?
My is a 2010 so the warranty isn't too much of a problem, what will the tune add to the mpg/ bhp?

My goal is to pick up the sound a little bit without making the car unbearable for DD, no mpg loss and any type of bhp gain will be fine
LT headers + exhaust is the right way to go right? According to stuff I have read, these really have no big downsides beside the cost and loss of warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
Where have you seen 5-10 rwhp gains from a catback/axle back install?? Please show me dyno sheets, because from what I've seen (even from vendors and engine builders), you gain nothing but sound from a catback install, especially an axle back install.
Then would it be an easier idea to simple swap the headers while keeping the stock exhausts? Or if I swap out both the air flow will be better than only swapping the headers?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Your best bet is to get the Lt's of your choice, if money is a concern I would go with the TSP Lt's if not just get the kooks, both 1 7/8's

You'll love the sound of the headers + Corsa combo it's just right. Now if you get bored of the sound you can always get the resonator eliminator from jegs.

But 500 for install?!?!? Hell ill take a drive and install them my self for a photo shoot of my own lol. Pleeeeease don't pay that much! Just my .2

You'll gain a good 40 with a good tune. Do you have a shop you are thinking of getting tuned at? If so who?
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Your best bet is to get the Lt's of your choice, if money is a concern I would go with the TSP Lt's if not just get the kooks, both 1 7/8's

You'll love the sound of the headers + Corsa combo it's just right. Now if you get bored of the sound you can always get the resonator eliminator from jegs.

But 500 for install?!?!? Hell ill take a drive and install them my self for a photo shoot of my own lol. Pleeeeease don't pay that much! Just my .2

You'll gain a good 40 with a good tune. Do you have a shop you are thinking of getting tuned at? If so who?
Lol not $500 for install, I'm just not sure about the cost on the parts alone.
I'm being conservative pretending they cost close to $2500, better over budget than getting a surprise bill lol
Money isn't a big issue, as long as the MPG does not change much, cus this is my DD and any mpg dip will cost a ton in the future
the photo idea isn't bad either~ but I have been hearing about ppl messing up the O2 sensors, so I will feel more comfortable going to a shop

I know there r 2 places near me, county corvette and injection connection, not sure which is better
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Lol the 02 sensors are a 50/50 I've done a few in my garage and its been literally 50/50 lol so be prepared to throw 2 new sensors in your budget.

I'm gonna do a search for you and post back with links in a few.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I think you should start out with just changing the LT headers with a tune and keep the stock catback for now. If you really love the sound with the headers and stock catback great, you just saved yourself 1K dollars. If not you could always change the catback later. The catback is sound only, there is NO power to be gained from it despite what some might say. Call Maryland Speed for the best deal on Kooks. I dont know if you have a CAI yet but I would use the catback money on a CAI and good tune or suspension, wheels, whatever. You could always add a catback later.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Lol the 02 sensors are a 50/50 I've done a few in my garage and its been literally 50/50 lol so be prepared to throw 2 new sensors in your budget.

I'm gonna do a search for you and post back with links in a few.
Im 4/4 so far. Mine came right out on my 2010 and my buddies came right out as well
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I think you should start out with just changing the LT headers with a tune and keep the stock catback for now. If you really love the sound with the headers and stock catback great, you just saved yourself 1K dollars. If not you could always change the catback later. The catback is sound only, there is NO power to be gained from it despite what some might say. Call Maryland Speed for the best deal on Kooks. I dont know if you have a CAI yet but I would use the catback money on a CAI and good tune or suspension, wheels, whatever. You could always add a catback later.
Lol my thought is maybe it's cheaper to get both done at the same time and tune all together, there's a pretty high chance I want to take both later on anyway.
I'm pretty happy with the suspension and wheel since I never take the car to the track, only time I open it up is on 76 and 95 with big open straights.
CAI however, I have been reading very mixed things about them, do those actually give any obvious benefits?

Also please let me know if anyone near tri-state area have done the retro fit HUD
Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Mike Norris put my build together. When he says you'll gain 15 rwhp with catbacks, I tend to believe him. Now that maybe because I have more work than just LTs, but a simple muffler delete is a 5 rwhp gain. <<<shrug>>>

Everyone's right though... A nice LT setup with stock catback will put a nice smile on your face and probably do exactly what you're looking for.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
ps2ren

Quote:
Mike Norris put my build together. When he says you'll gain 15 rwhp with catbacks, I tend to believe him. Now that maybe because I have more work than just LTs, but a simple muffler delete is a 5 rwhp gain. <<<shrug>>>

Everyone's right though... A nice LT setup with stock catback will put a nice smile on your face and probably do exactly what you're looking for.
I see~ what would it cost for everything? LT, install and tune? In the $1500 region?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
I have arh 1 7/8 corsa cat back and a jre smooth idle cam. Im very happy with my choices. With just the exhaust and headers and vararam intake I made 420 hp 420 tq. I also get around 28 mpg hwy. I did the install myself on jack stands in my driveway it's really a piece of cake. As long as the weather is good you can come hear my car December 1st at county corvette in west Chester pa.
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMatt View Post
I have arh 1 7/8 corsa cat back and a jre smooth idle cam. Im very happy with my choices. With just the exhaust and headers and vararam intake I made 420 hp 420 tq. I also get around 28 mpg hwy. I did the install myself on jack stands in my driveway it's really a piece of cake. As long as the weather is good you can come hear my car December 1st at county corvette in west Chester pa.
420 420 RW? hehe your car should be 'grass' green~ did u tune it also? What's the total bill? Parts only ofc~
I will try to make it on Dec 1st, it's the toy drive right?