Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #85
KirkB
Don't Believe the Truth
 
KirkB's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Avondale, AZ
Posts: 57
5 mins give or take 8hrs. Crazy. Being in IT and a general geek at heart, I so wanted to help out. They didn't seem to be too open to that.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #86
DC
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USAG Humphreys, South Korea
Posts: 19
Can someone help me out? I have the 2012 LS which already has the steering wheel controls, I just need to know which part to order online to install, I keep seeing conflicting statements on which part I need to order!?!
DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #87
KirkB
Don't Believe the Truth
 
KirkB's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Avondale, AZ
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
Can someone help me out? I have the 2012 LS which already has the steering wheel controls, I just need to know which part to order online to install, I keep seeing conflicting statements on which part I need to order!?!
This is the part I installed in my 2012 LS:

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/electr...-92252215.html

The harness and pdim module are easy to install and adds audio streaming via Bluetooth or USB. The hardware version is DB, the latest. The harness comes assembled with the exact mounting clips needed for a clean and professional install. It took me about an hour from start to finish. You will need to take it to the dealer for "programming" after you install it.

A note on the programming. There are two different programming processes discussed here: updating firmware on the head unit and for lack of a better term enabling the pdim module.

The updating firmware is discussed in detail here and something my dealer failed to do. That said, your head unit is probably at software version DB. The latest I believe is DD. DD is a nice to have and resolves issues some people are having. DB is working great for me with my iphone4s. No skips, popping or any other issues.

Enabling the pdim module simply requires the dealer to download your car configuration from GM, check mark that the car has the connectivity package installed and upload the new configuration to your car. If they accomplish this and only this, you will be good to go.

Good luck!

Kirk
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #88
ecko04

 
Drives: Too many to list
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Coast Runner
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
This is the part I installed in my 2012 LS:

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/electr...-92252215.html

The harness and pdim module are easy to install and adds audio streaming via Bluetooth or USB. The hardware version is DB, the latest. The harness comes assembled with the exact mounting clips needed for a clean and professional install. It took me about an hour from start to finish. You will need to take it to the dealer for "programming" after you install it.

A note on the programming. There are two different programming processes discussed here: updating firmware on the head unit and for lack of a better term enabling the pdim module.

The updating firmware is discussed in detail here and something my dealer failed to do. That said, your head unit is probably at software version DB. The latest I believe is DD. DD is a nice to have and resolves issues some people are having. DB is working great for me with my iphone4s. No skips, popping or any other issues.

Enabling the pdim module simply requires the dealer to download your car configuration from GM, check mark that the car has the connectivity package installed and upload the new configuration to your car. If they accomplish this and only this, you will be good to go.

Good luck!

Kirk
That's the same part I ordered from the same company. Mine came but it didn't look new. I reached out to the company for clarification but I haven't received anything back yet, most likely due to the holidays. Therefore, I haven't gone forward with installation yet. It was delivered via FedEx in a box that looked like it had been used before. Inside that box there was a box, a wiring harness and the outlet (USB/Aux). The parts did not arrive in a GM Genuine sealed parts box, just throw into the aforementioned re-used box. The instructions were in the box, stapled together. I just got my Camaro less than a week ago so i'm not familiar with what qualifies as a Genuine GM part but i've never heard of the company listed on the PDIM. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, pics are below.






Last edited by ecko04; 12-31-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: removed personal information
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #89
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem
 
slick rick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 5,488
Pretty sure it's packaged like that because you can't get the latest PDIM in the official GM PDIM accessory kit. So they have to get the PDIM separately and then repackage it with the harness.
__________________
slick rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #90
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem
 
slick rick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 5,488
Here's my thread back in 2009 with pictures from the kit I ordered

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45256
__________________
slick rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #91
ecko04

 
Drives: Too many to list
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Coast Runner
Posts: 878
Just installed mine today. Took it down to the dealership but they didn't have "time" to reprogram it today. I have an appointment on Wednesday to get it done.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #92
romack238
 
Drives: 2011 Metallic grey Camaro LS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Desoto, TX
Posts: 2
Thanks for the information. Amazing post. Got the part order last week and installed yesterday
romack238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #93
GoldCartridgeGamer


 
GoldCartridgeGamer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7,523
Just wanted to say thanks for this DIY. I used it in conjunction with the instructions that came with it.
__________________
Phoenix (sold)
2014 Ford SVT Raptor CrewCab


How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #94
japitzer
 
japitzer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Red hot Camaro, miss my 2012
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 77
Well, I installed the pdim and the steering wheels control switch, went to the dealer(of course i forgot my ipod) spent 4 hrs there, said everything was a go, Well, the steering control switch works, but my ipod doesn't there is power to it. I took it back and told them it didn't work, they had to re flash the radio, and now everything works

Last edited by japitzer; 03-20-2012 at 05:20 PM.
japitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #95
BLKRS2011
1LT RS 2011 BLACK
 
BLKRS2011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT RS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 124
Installed my PDIM a year ago and just got the radio reprogrammed today finally. Everything went smoothly and they only charged me a half hour of labor. They could not reprogram the BCM to recognize my steering wheel controls though. They said my car wouldn't take the program. Thanks for the awesome DIY by the way! I've learned so much on C5 from other members and it's much appreciated.
__________________

Last edited by BLKRS2011; 09-06-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Wanted to say thanks!
BLKRS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #96
RatedZ
 
RatedZ's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Overthere
Posts: 527
Installed my ambient lights last night and the DIY was so useful, especially in how to remove the transmission bezel. Only thing I would add is when reassembling the trim piece that houses the traction control and gauges (if you have it) is to really watch the aux power connector as it is made of metal and if you don't get the trim piece in just right, you can really scratch the trans bezel all to hell. I would take a moment to protect the trans bezel with a towel or something so you don't scratch it up. The replacement cost is $140 since you have to buy the whole bezel, not just the silver top part :(
RatedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #97
CamaroLS

 
CamaroLS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Met. Camaro 1SS Vert
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,520
Wiring harness?

Hello, on my LS where do I get the wiring harness that runs to the PDIM module?
CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #98
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem
 
slick rick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 5,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroLS View Post
Hello, on my LS where do I get the wiring harness that runs to the PDIM module?
If you buy the PDIM kit, it will come with it.

Did you buy the PDIM separately?
__________________
slick rick is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pfadt Race Engineering DIY Drop Spring installation procedure PfadtRacing Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 20 09-23-2011 09:31 PM
PDIM / USB port firmware update done in Houston? rolnslo USA - Texas 28 02-09-2010 03:46 PM
USB port stopped working philthy Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 85 11-11-2009 06:14 PM
USB port intermittent... shall we compile a list of PDIM failures? JDBeck23 Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 49 09-01-2009 01:57 AM
USB Port location/relocation 2ssJB Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 15 05-01-2009 04:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.