Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #43
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Really cool read! Thanks for taking the time to share this with everybody Erik.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #44
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
Sounds like some meth would do wonders for that stock cooling
Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #45
gbosh

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
Why doesn't anybody follow breakin procedures? Do any of the people who dyno their cares really have any knowledge of the reason for breakin? Please have people who can tell GM that it is not necessary too break in all the parts of the car. Who is the expert that can tell me if the various bearings in the car need any breakin! Having a grade 8 bearing worth 800 USD hours. It's a good thing transmissions don't contain any bearings or the blower either! Gears also don't need any breakin either. Why did Scott get on this thread and warn people about a breakin? Hasn't Scott always been truthful about every subject on this forum? Take heed unless you know more than GM,tell Scott and myself what you know about bearings and how hot they get on the first hours of running. The company I worked for used an infrared camera to monitor new bearings for heat buildup.
So it's your car do what you want.
gbosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #46
LeviG

Drives: '95 Acura Integra GSR
That thing sounds MOSTROUS!!!

I like the all black. Looks very stealthy.

LeviG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #47
LeviG

Drives: '95 Acura Integra GSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis View Post
Meth is bad for you. LOL

LeviG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #48
Bad Dad

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS , 2011 C6 Base Corvette
Nice Work

Nice Job Paul and Erik.

SUICIDE BY RACECAR
Bad Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #49
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis View Post
Not unless you place the nozzles to spray after the air charge has passed through the intercooler, otherwise the incoming meth-cooled air would actually be heated up by passing through the factory setup. If there were any cooling benefits, they would be minimal, at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbosh View Post
Why doesn't anybody follow breakin procedures? Do any of the people who dyno their cares really have any knowledge of the reason for breakin? Please have people who can tell GM that it is not necessary too break in all the parts of the car. Who is the expert that can tell me if the various bearings in the car need any breakin! Having a grade 8 bearing worth 800 USD hours. It's a good thing transmissions don't contain any bearings or the blower either! Gears also don't need any breakin either. Why did Scott get on this thread and warn people about a breakin? Hasn't Scott always been truthful about every subject on this forum? Take heed unless you know more than GM,tell Scott and myself what you know about bearings and how hot they get on the first hours of running. The company I worked for used an infrared camera to monitor new bearings for heat buildup.
You do know that all the LSA engines are broken in at the factory before they are ever placed in the chassis, right? Little chance of any engine bearing failure due to not following the recommended break-in procedure. And last I checked, Scott is not a mechanical engineer.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #50
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Rebel View Post
This guys (see link below) Stick car dynoed at 512rwhp, why such a big difference.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217819
The 512 number was on a 70 degree night, Dyno not sure of but the type where the wheels are taken off and is direct connection. car allowed to cool off for a hour.
Sat we all went to a different place to see him Dyno again. Mustang dyno I think, 95 degrees and heat soaked with no cool off. Did 465 hp.
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #51
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbosh View Post
I would love to see real data on wich componet supposedly needs 1500 miles.

It is not the engine because that is in the CTs-v and did not requre it. It is not the tranny because the tr-6060 is in other cars and does not need it. it is not the rear end as I have seen no gear manufacturer call this out. The mag ride in other cars does not call it out.

I think you see people avoiding it becasue nodody understands the logic to it.

Until I see some kind of engineering reason to break something in for 1500 miles I am not going to follow it.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #52
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post

You do know that all the LSA engines are broken in at the factory before they are ever placed in the chassis, right? Little chance of any engine bearing failure due to not following the recommended break-in procedure. And last I checked, Scott is not a mechanical engineer.
The engines are not broken in at the factory.

They have minimal run time from a couple of tests, then some time moving the cars around. The actual break in occurs over the first couple thousand miles of driving.

As proven by the gain in hp after a couple thousand miles. If they were already broken in, they would have max power at delivery. Not the case, when a car is new many things are quite tight... such as piston to bore clearance. After some miles the clearances will be better and also better ring sealing = more power.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #53
Drake Heminger

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankzl1 View Post
that's why I am driving all over town
+1 LOL
Old 04-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #54
Meister@Torq

Drives: 2001 Crown Vic
Send a message via AIM to Meister@Torq Send a message via MSN to Meister@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I would love to see real data on wich componet supposedly needs 1500 miles.

It is not the engine because that is in the CTs-v and did not requre it. It is not the tranny because the tr-6060 is in other cars and does not need it. it is not the rear end as I have seen no gear manufacturer call this out. The mag ride in other cars does not call it out.

I think you see people avoiding it becasue nodody understands the logic to it.

Until I see some kind of engineering reason to break something in for 1500 miles I am not going to follow it.
The rear end is what we are told as the major component for break-in miles. Even when we install the 9.5" LPE rear end they have us put 500 miles on said components before beating on it
Meister@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #55
Meister@Torq

Drives: 2001 Crown Vic
Send a message via AIM to Meister@Torq Send a message via MSN to Meister@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Sounds like these cars are really going to benefit from a CAI and good 93 octane. Has there been any thought to relocating the IAT?

Maybe then someone who wanted to keep their 100K factory warranty, they could just go with addressing the intake cold air and IATs but keep the tuning stock. Or would the stock tuning really need to see that actual IAT at the MAF to prevent detonation?

Since this car is going to have high underhood temps, maybe a ceramic coated intake tube going to a sealed off CAI box and front scoop might be the ticket to lower IATs. A standard black intake tube is going to be getting quite a bit of heat soak.
As we have seen there is a benefit in going with just a tune but these cars, and save with CTS-V's really benefit from intake improvements so a CAI will be a nice gain and we have already seen some impressive results with fabricated units

We have already tested a few components to drastically lower IAT's while maintaining an OEM or Race look. Reducing IAT's will allow for greater power output as well as consistent results on the street or track.
Meister@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #56
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Not unless you place the nozzles to spray after the air charge has passed through the intercooler, otherwise the incoming meth-cooled air would actually be heated up by passing through the factory setup. If there were any cooling benefits, they would be minimal, at best..
Spraying before the intercooler would be a bad idea. Seems like it would eat the intercooler alive more so then just not getting the full benefits. I would bet theres some good benefits for spraying it after the intercooler. I havent pulled apart a zl1 yet ,so not sure how possible it is and if theres a good outlet to tap into, but meth has plenty of benefits especially for a heat soak happy engine (more consistent pulls, added fuel, lower temps...).