Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
OnStar shuts down stolen Camaro

Featured on Camaro5 HOMEPAGE

Video report: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/cant...-police-chase/

Quote:
Two police departments, a helicopter and dozens of cruisers were hot on the trail of a stolen Chevy Camaro speeding through Illinois. But it wasn’t their efforts that ultimately stopped the renegade vehicle. It was OnStar.

The General Motors’ subscription-based service, which is often used to alert first responders to accidents or even let family members see where the car is driving, has the ability to shut down OnStar-enabled vehicles. This is just what was done to Brandon Holme’s car that was stolen from a West Dundee gas station and taken on a 40-mile, high-speed chase, according to Chicago’s CBS Local.

Here’s how it all went down:

“I walked into the gas station, and as I’m walking in, he’s walking out, and he goes, ‘Nice Camaro,’” Holme said. “The guy said ‘Nice Camaro.’ He jumped in my car and took it.”

Holme called police, then called OnStar to report the car had been stolen. Police, working with OnStar, trailed the Camaro to Chicago.

“They told me they could not use OnStar until the cop was behind him. They can’t just shut it off when it’s anywhere,” Holme said.

At a certain point, OnStar was given the green light to shut off the car. The vehicle crashed into bushes after the gas pedal became inoperable. The man who stole the car, 20-year-old Andre Hill, was not injured in the crash and is currently in jail on $30,000 bail.

Holme credits OnStar for the reason he still has his vehicle — however banged up — today. Still, it is this very technology that has had others worried. Although OnStar is an optional service drivers must subscribe to, it was revealed last year that OnStar was tracking customers even after they had canceled subscriptions to the service. The Blaze reported at the time that Glenn Beck had even voiced his concerns about OnStar’s pervasive tracking capability a couple years before even this information came to light. But in September 2011, it was revealed OnStar was still collecting data on disabled vehicles. GM soon thereafter stopped this practice saying it would only maintain data tracking on customers after cancellation should they “opt-in.”
Not sure why the driver crashed into bushes when the car was disabled...
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sweet. Good find!

Any c5 member going to claim this Camaro? Haha
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
1COR.1:18
Whosoever Will

Drives: 2010 1LT Victory Red
Bet he never leaves it running again.
1COR.1:18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Abstrak

Drives: 2012 AGM Camaro LS / Team LFX
Dumb ass shouldnt have left the keys in the ignition.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
I liked his shirt.. lmao
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Grey Ghost

Drives: 2013 HWSE 2SS
LOL!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
glad nobody got hurt. Glad that asshat got caught. Glad he got his car back... Just hope he learns to take his keys and lock the freakin door. I liven in a very rural environment where everybody knows everybody and I dont trust my neighbors.
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I like the poll at the end where it asks if you like onstar "Because you'll get your car back"

or

dislike it "Because they could "accidentally" shut down your car when you didn't want them to."

Really?? Whoever thought of this poll is obviously wearing a tin foil hat.. and so is all the people that voted that choice.

Think some errant employee is randomly shutting down cars? or do they think it's some sort of marketing scam (renew your subscription, or we'll randomly shut your car down!"?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
gyoung

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1 AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrak View Post
Dumb ass shouldnt have left the keys in the ignition.
This. Who dafuq does that?

MODS: WeatherTech floor and trunk mats, Heritage Grill, 3D Carbon Fender Vents, CAI by Cold Air Induction, MRT V2 exhaust, RPI tail light and side marker blackout.

Upcoming Mods: Seibon BBII hood, windows tinted.
gyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
So he left his Camaro running and someone stole it, you don't say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFREEKSCOTTY View Post
I like the poll at the end where it asks if you like onstar "Because you'll get your car back"

or

dislike it "Because they could "accidentally" shut down your car when you didn't want them to."

Really?? Whoever thought of this poll is obviously wearing a tin foil hat.. and so is all the people that voted that choice.

Think some errant employee is randomly shutting down cars? or do they think it's some sort of marketing scam (renew your subscription, or we'll randomly shut your car down!"?
The website is called "The Blaze", I rest my case
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Good video and article, but reading the comments below make me question the human race, those people are insane
Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
SixCyl

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Good video and article, but reading the comments below make me question the human race, those people are insane
That was your first mistake. Nothing good ever lies in the comment section. I was trying to give the victim the benefit of the doubt, there are some pretty sophisticated devices that record the frequency of the unlock and can start cars and what not but it does seem like he walked straight into it.

Edit: Read the comments. Uhhhhh....What???
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

art/ärt/Noun. Definition: 5th generation Camaro.
SixCyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Drive it like you stole it!

"Drive it like you stole it!" ---- I think I'll pass...
Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
ADzurka
DZ

Drives: 2011 SS Convertable
Send a message via AIM to ADzurka Send a message via Skype™ to ADzurka
In some cases if you leave the keys in the car (IE around kids) the driver can be sued if the kid takes it for a joy ride. That's why I leave my 2 pit bulls in my car when i go into the gas station... Just saying Great story BTW...
ADzurka is offline   Reply With Quote