Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Upgrades to make the car last long term?

I plan on keeping my car for a very long time...basically I'm not getting rid of it. So my question is as for suspension, which products would you recommend me getting? This will be a daily driver only; very little to no racing. I'm looking into everything suspension wise so I'm assuming drop springs are out of the question if I want my car to last a long time without replacing the struts.

Oh and I have a V6
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
What do you want to accomplish?
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
BiG_TiMe

I basically want to get some upgrades that would keep the car in perfect working order say like 5-10 years down the road.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe View Post
I basically want to get some upgrades that would keep the car in perfect working order say like 5-10 years down the road.
Suspension upgrade should not harm of your car, but certain components do have an expected service life. In 5-10 years you will have to replace your struts regardless of whether you add lowering springs or not. Sway bars and bushings make a world of difference and will not have and negative effects so long as you do it right.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Catch can for starters...
Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
BiG_TiMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Suspension upgrade should not harm of your car, but certain components do have an expected service life. In 5-10 years you will have to replace your struts regardless of whether you add lowering springs or not. Sway bars and bushings make a world of difference and will not have and negative effects so long as you do it right.
oh ok, so whether i choose springs or coilovers doesn't matter because I'll end up having to replace the struts either way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
Catch can for starters...
got that already
Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
oh ok, so whether i choose springs or coilovers doesn't matter because I'll end up having to replace the struts either way?
I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that whether you keep the stock springs or do lowering springs, you'll have to replace struts at some point.

Personally, I don't think there's anything you can do that will be bulletproof forever. Most things at one point give out.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that whether you keep the stock springs or do lowering springs, you'll have to replace struts at some point.

Personally, I don't think there's anything you can do that will be bulletproof forever. Most things at one point give out.
Exactly. Even coil overs do not last forever.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
I'm always amused when customers come to my salvage yard to buy used struts. You wouldn't buy used shocks, why are you buying used struts?

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote