Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #729
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Day Dog View Post
I really like my K98 sniper - even though it is a Mitchell.
You mean the Yugo M48's?
They're still Mausers! Maybe not as "cool" as an original German K98k, but just as good for shooting.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #730
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
You mean the Yugo M48's?
They're still Mausers! Maybe not as "cool" as an original German K98k, but just as good for shooting.
Mines not the Yugo M48. Mines the German K98 from Mitchell and is fully stamped to reflect a K98; all matching numbers, Mod 98, BNZ, waffens, etc. If I remember right, Mitchell had 4 types of Mauser rifles: The German K98; the Yugo M48; the M24 and the M63 Tanker (short mauser).

I've heard all the stories about Mitchell's "K98"s being made in Serbia - and therefore NOT "German" per se AND being humped. Even if true, their K98s are identical to the originals. Besides, the Germans had their K98s made in a lot of locations outside Germany in WW2, so that doesn't bother me. Mine looks, feels, and shoots exactly like any other German K98 Sniper - so to me, it's just as cool. If I'd wanted an original, I would've bought a cheap RC and built it into a sniper. The price tag of $3000+> for an "original" K98 sniper is way out of my price range. This one was already built, and in like new condition, so I couldn't ask for more.

It is a fun shooting rifle and is fitted with a somewhat high turrent Zeiss scope. Pretty accurate at 100 yards from the bench. I can consistantly hit 1"-2" groups with it now. Perfect for Caribou hunting.
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #731
NicksVSix

I actually got mine for reenacting. It was German WW2 manufacture but re-arsenalled after the war by the Yugos for use in their army, but it was never never issued to another soldier after it was taken from the German soldier who surrendered it, as the bluing is 100% on it. The German maker stamp was ground off smoothly, but there are Waffenampts all over the damed thing betraying its origins.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #732
D Day Dog

Quote:
I actually got mine for reenacting. It was German WW2 manufacture but re-arsenalled after the war by the Yugos for use in their army, but it was never never issued to another soldier after it was taken from the German soldier who surrendered it, as the bluing is 100% on it. The German maker stamp was ground off smoothly, but there are Waffenampts all over the damed thing betraying its origins.
Yeah, unfortunately, a lot of countries that ended up with captured german firearms de-nazified them by crossing out or grinding off marks they didn't like. Kinda silly to me as it's just a frickin' mark. I have actually seen 1 all original vet bring back here in Alaska that is all matching and in 95% condition. The story behind it was it was captured at a rear echelon area from a guard who was not front line material and had rarely ever shot it. Nice rifle. Worth lots of dough.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #733
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately, a lot of countries that ended up with captured german firearms de-nazified them by crossing out or grinding off marks they didn't like. Kinda silly to me as it's just a frickin' mark. I have actually seen 1 all original vet bring back here in Alaska that is all matching and in 95% condition. The story behind it was it was captured at a rear echelon area from a guard who was not front line material and had rarely ever shot it. Nice rifle. Worth lots of dough.

That's pretty cool. My grandpa has a .311 Japanese rifle he picked up in WW2.... got it brand new out of a supply truck... hasn't been shot to this day! Still has the original packing grease they put on them to prevent the barrels from rusting .
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #734
D Day Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
That's pretty cool. My grandpa has a .311 Japanese rifle he picked up in WW2.... got it brand new out of a supply truck... hasn't been shot to this day! Still has the original packing grease they put on them to prevent the barrels from rusting .
Nice. Look and see if it's set up as a sniper and if it still has the cristanthanum (sp?) flower stamping on the top of the receiver. Slim chance its set up as a sniper, but if it is it's worth some buuuuuucks !!!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #735
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Quote:
Nice. Look and see if it's set up as a sniper and if it still has the cristanthanum (sp?) flower stamping on the top of the receiver. Slim chance its set up as a sniper, but if it is it's worth some buuuuuucks !!!

he's 2 hours away.... I'll try to think next time I'm there. All the writing on it is in Japanese... I don't speak it . Its a bolt action and has flip up adjustable sights with different distances on it.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #736
D Day Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
he's 2 hours away.... I'll try to think next time I'm there. All the writing on it is in Japanese... I don't speak it . Its a bolt action and has flip up adjustable sights with different distances on it.
If it's early WW2 it will be worth more. Look for a buttplate, bipod type device on the front, and if there are any obvious mounts for a scope.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #737
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Quote:
If it's early WW2 it will be worth more. Look for a buttplate, bipod type device on the front, and if there are any obvious mounts for a scope.

it does have a metal butt plate. I know its got a bayonet mount and the original bayonet and cover. I'll check next time I'm down there on the other stuff.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #738
NicksVSix

Quote:
Well, I can kinda see the Russians having a bit of an issue with it, lol. Even funnier is the fact that the Israeli army used de-nazified Mauser K98k's and had them retooled for 7.62 rounds.

I have a friend with 3 (count'em, THREE) G43's...now there's a sweet rifle.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #739
D Day Dog

Quote:
Well, I can kinda see the Russians having a bit of an issue with it, lol. Even funnier is the fact that the Israeli army used de-nazified Mauser K98k's and had them retooled for 7.62 rounds.

I have a friend with 3 (count'em, THREE) G43's...now there's a sweet rifle.
Niiiice. If they're all originals, they can worth $3K-$4K a pc. Especially snipers.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #740
NicksVSix

Quote:
Niiiice. If they're all originals, they can worth $3K-$4K a pc. Especially snipers.
One of them is 100% original, but is in the worst shape. But it's still in working order, it just looks a bit rough.
The other two have repro stocks and one has been modified to have a blank fire adapter.

He used to have a 100% original full auto MP44 but that's another discussion, lol.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #741
D Day Dog

Quote:
One of them is 100% original, but is in the worst shape. But it's still in working order, it just looks a bit rough.
The other two have repro stocks and one has been modified to have a blank fire adapter.

He used to have a 100% original full auto MP44 but that's another discussion, lol.

I would drool all over that MP44 dude. But instead of spendng $14K+, I settled for this:
Name:  001.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  194.3 KB
Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #742
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
So eventually ( maybe next year or so ) I'm thinkin of picking up a glock 19 for a concealed carry gun, as well as the cheaper 9 mm rounds ( compared to the .45 for my 1911 ). I've read the G19 is a very reliable gun and good for concealed carry, what does it usually sell for? How much does a typical box of 50 rounds go for in 9mm? Was thinking about a 22 for a cheap plinker, but have worries about the reliability there...

Tags
camaro gun