Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions


View Poll Results: Should I tint my Windows all around?
Yes 17 89.47%
No 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2023, 05:21 AM   #1
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride
 
Infidel67's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Columbia SC
Posts: 854
To Tint or not to Tint?

Everyone I work with tells me I need to Tint the windows dark.
My Q is yes or no?
and how dark? Windshield too?
__________________
2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS Ls3, LTH, CAI
Custom Intake, TSP stage-3 111-LSA Cam, RWHP 503/508
Infidel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 06:40 AM   #2
11REDSS
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Michigan
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel67 View Post
Everyone I work with tells me I need to Tint the windows dark.
My Q is yes or no?
and how dark? Windshield too?
Around here windshield will usually get you pulled over also can be harder to see at night. Doctors notes do help unless the police are in a mood.

I went 20% all the way all windows but windshield and its enough for me. it basically the same dark as most cars factory tint but with the 5 windows done it appears a little darker, just not dark enough to get pulled over.
__________________
2011 Camaro 2SS Victory Red
Rotofab CAI, 160 Thermostat, Stainless Works Headers, Livernois Motorsports Thunderstorm Exhaust, GPI SS1, rodmod intake, ported tb by GPI, Remote
Tune by GPI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Rotofab washer relocation, JRE scoop, JRE Trans dipstick, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR subframe connectors, Polyurethane diff bushing and rear cradle mount's, RSM front crash bar
11REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 06:56 AM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt
 
el ess A's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 4,560
If you do, I would suggest those newer, slightly more expensive, ceramic tints from a quality manufacturer. They cut down on the UV rays and I got it done on my truck and it cuts way down on the heat the vehicle picks up inside. Even had the windshield clear-tinted with the ceramic tint for the UV protection factor.

In SC, you're allowed to go to 27% visible light transmission (VLT) on sides/back for SUV, van, or car. You can also use non-reflective tint on the windshield above the AS-1 line. If no AS-1 line is visible, unfortunately no front tint is legal. Also, no red, yellow, or yellow tints, either. No problem for Camaro, but any back window tinting requires dual outside mirrors as well.

Up to you if you want to break the law and pay $200 (or 30 days in jail) on the first offense. Most of your good tint shops won't go darker because they have to certify their installations, and can be fined $1000 and/or jail time on the first offense.

With a truck, trailer, motorhome or bus, you can't go darker on the front door windows, windshield, but you can basically go as dark as you want on any rear side windows or rear window.

If done by a professional tint shop, they should also have a tag placed in the lower RH corner of each tinted window, visible, showing who installed it, date of installation, and VLT %. Even if you do it yourself, you're supposed to install the certification tag. It's usually a tiny square almost unnoticable.

From SC Title 56. SECTION 56-5-5015. Sunscreen devices.

Quote:
(E) Each vehicle equipped with an after-factory sunscreening device, whether installed by a consumer or professional window tinter, at all times must bear a certificate of compliance. The certificate of compliance must be of a size and form prescribed by the Department of Public Safety. Each certificate of compliance must be properly attached to the vehicle on the inside and lower right hand corner of each window containing an after-factory installed sunscreen device and must contain the following information:

(1) the percentage of light transmission allowed by the sunscreening device;

(2) the identity of the installer by name, address, and telephone number; and

(3) date of installation.
That certification tag is used or not. When I did my 2002 Camaro and 2010 truck, they put the certification tag in there. When I got my 2020 truck done, nothing. Or I can't see it. It's in compliance, but I carry my receipt in the glovebox just in case the cops ever try to hassle me about it.
__________________
2010 2SS TE, 1 of 822/2013 Camaro ZL1 vert, 1 of 54

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:39 AM   #4
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride
 
Infidel67's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Columbia SC
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
If you do, I would suggest those newer, slightly more expensive, ceramic tints from a quality manufacturer. They cut down on the UV rays and I got it done on my truck and it cuts way down on the heat the vehicle picks up inside. Even had the windshield clear-tinted with the ceramic tint for the UV protection factor.

In SC, you're allowed to go to 27% visible light transmission (VLT) on sides/back for SUV, van, or car. You can also use non-reflective tint on the windshield above the AS-1 line. If no AS-1 line is visible, unfortunately no front tint is legal. Also, no red, yellow, or yellow tints, either. No problem for Camaro, but any back window tinting requires dual outside mirrors as well.

Up to you if you want to break the law and pay $200 (or 30 days in jail) on the first offense. Most of your good tint shops won't go darker because they have to certify their installations, and can be fined $1000 and/or jail time on the first offense.

With a truck, trailer, motorhome or bus, you can't go darker on the front door windows, windshield, but you can basically go as dark as you want on any rear side windows or rear window.

If done by a professional tint shop, they should also have a tag placed in the lower RH corner of each tinted window, visible, showing who installed it, date of installation, and VLT %. Even if you do it yourself, you're supposed to install the certification tag. It's usually a tiny square almost unnoticable.

From SC Title 56. SECTION 56-5-5015. Sunscreen devices.



That certification tag is used or not. When I did my 2002 Camaro and 2010 truck, they put the certification tag in there. When I got my 2020 truck done, nothing. Or I can't see it. It's in compliance, but I carry my receipt in the glovebox just in case the cops ever try to hassle me about it.
True to all, that's why I haven't done it yet, my Buddy who is a cop told me they look for tinted windows and the Christmas tree Air Freshener lol.
Thing is that my rearview mirror is self darkening and so are my Outside Mirrors.
__________________
2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS Ls3, LTH, CAI
Custom Intake, TSP stage-3 111-LSA Cam, RWHP 503/508
Infidel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 10:05 AM   #5
0stones0
It donít come easy.
 
0stones0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Join Date: May 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11REDSS View Post
Around here windshield will usually get you pulled over also can be harder to see at night. Doctors notes do help unless the police are in a mood.

I went 20% all the way all windows but windshield and its enough for me. it basically the same dark as most cars factory tint but with the 5 windows done it appears a little darker, just not dark enough to get pulled over.
Exactly the route I took. Plenty dark and so far, 3 years in, no hassle from law enforcement.
__________________
0stones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 11:43 AM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS


 
1JEWLDSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 11,381
^^^^ Same here with me. All the Camaro windows done and it's plenty. Bought the Camaro brand new from the dealership with the tint on it already. 12 years and no issues. And yeah, leave the windshield alone, just the very top portion if you do.
__________________
TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT, CIRCLE D 5C-4200-4500 CONVERTER,LOD INTAKE.CORSA EXHAUST. DSS 1 PC DS. PEGASUS SOLID CRADLE MOUNTS. 486RWHP/475RWTQ.LOTS MORE.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:16 PM   #7
Dega Man
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Talladega
Posts: 631
I've always done 5% on the very back window and 15% on the side windows, which gives an illusion of making the tint look darker than it actually is when viewing from the outside in.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:50 PM   #8
0stones0
It donít come easy.
 
0stones0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Join Date: May 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,180
Plenty dark, at 20%.
__________________
0stones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 06:41 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS


 
1JEWLDSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 11,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Plenty dark, at 20%.
Oh yeah!! Looks killer..
__________________
TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT, CIRCLE D 5C-4200-4500 CONVERTER,LOD INTAKE.CORSA EXHAUST. DSS 1 PC DS. PEGASUS SOLID CRADLE MOUNTS. 486RWHP/475RWTQ.LOTS MORE.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 06:46 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS


 
1JEWLDSSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 11,381
20% on mine..

Name:  don 4.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  203.2 KB
__________________
TSP STAGE 3 CAM,231/246 @112 LSA 614/641 LIFT, CIRCLE D 5C-4200-4500 CONVERTER,LOD INTAKE.CORSA EXHAUST. DSS 1 PC DS. PEGASUS SOLID CRADLE MOUNTS. 486RWHP/475RWTQ.LOTS MORE.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:09 PM   #11
el ess A
Older Than Dirt
 
el ess A's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 4,560
One is a convertible, so the windows are hidden anyway on nice days. No tint.

The 2010 has no tint either. It spends its life in the garage when not driving around. No need to tint it.

Around here, 20% will get you a ticket. They're serious about that stuff here. Only excpetion is if the car was built and windows have original tint from PRIOR to Jan 1, 1993, or medical necessity with a doctor's prescription. The grandfathered cars can have 20%. Any repair tints on those cars would fall under the new tint law, however.
__________________
2010 2SS TE, 1 of 822/2013 Camaro ZL1 vert, 1 of 54

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 09:02 AM   #12
0stones0
It donít come easy.
 
0stones0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Join Date: May 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
20% on mine..

Attachment 1141055
Thanks!
Yours, as well!
__________________
0stones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 09:05 AM   #13
0stones0
It donít come easy.
 
0stones0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Join Date: May 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
One is a convertible, so the windows are hidden anyway on nice days. No tint.

The 2010 has no tint either. It spends its life in the garage when not driving around. No need to tint it.

Around here, 20% will get you a ticket. They're serious about that stuff here. Only excpetion is if the car was built and windows have original tint from PRIOR to Jan 1, 1993, or medical necessity with a doctor's prescription. The grandfathered cars can have 20%. Any repair tints on those cars would fall under the new tint law, however.
Safe to say, it works well when your driving around.
__________________
0stones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 05:48 PM   #14
Little Walter
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 260
I like 15% to 20% percent, but tinting like the color of a car so subjective from one individual to the other.
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
tint

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.