Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
moocow2024

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Headers before axle back?

Autoanything is running a deal right now and I can get JBA stainless steel headers for $322.96. I have been trying to decide between getting the corsa cat back, or just going with the MRT 2.0 axle back systems, but currently have neither. The only mod that is on my car as of yet is the Injen longtube CAI.

Here is the question.
Do I:
1.) save up and go for exhaust first.
2.) Throw the typical order of things to the side and grab JBA headers now.

Also, in your opinions, is the corsa exhaust worth the x-pipe with resonators that it comes with? Or are the stock resonators sufficient?

I have listened to many video's posted by scrming of his setup and like it very much but have had trouble finding many vid's of the corsa setup with headers. Thoughts?
moocow2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
It seems that you are looking for performance, and if I get you right then you should go for a full Cat back since it will give you more HP than the shorties.

Im not into Corsa or MRT... Im into the real stuff Magna Flow and you shall feel the difference for sure.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
It seems that you are looking for performance, and if I get you right then you should go for a full Cat back since it will give you more HP than the shorties.

Im not into Corsa or MRT... Im into the real stuff Magna Flow and you shall feel the difference for sure.
How is the catback as far as seat of the pants feel and drone? I ask since I have the mufflers and resonated x pipe but felt the slightly larger pipes made no real difference at this power level and catbacks look only to be good for 5-6 hp in the real world anyway. On drone I think I got some back with the shorties as It was just fine with all else I have on it + 91 octane gas.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
CamaroFreako
KMK

Drives: Slow V6 Camaro
DO NOT BUY THE JBA HEADERS if u dont want to get a tune , or u will end up with engine light check !!!

i will repeat, DO NOT BUY JBA HEADERS!!!!!!!!!!

unless have no problem getting a tune
CamaroFreako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
if u want performance get LT headers instead of shorties and it sounds really nice to

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I have videos in the sticky up top. Not the best video. They were taken with my iPhone.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
How is the catback as far as seat of the pants feel and drone? I ask since I have the mufflers and resonated x pipe but felt the slightly larger pipes made no real difference at this power level and catbacks look only to be good for 5-6 hp in the real world anyway. On drone I think I got some back with the shorties as It was just fine with all else I have on it + 91 octane gas.
Magna Flow dyno shows 11hp+ for the Catback, and I contacted Borla too and they confirmed from 12-15 hp+ increase on their Catback.

From my experience with MF Catback, you can feel the difference above the stock for sure despite the fact that I didnt dyno my car yet.

Drone is nill, but I faced some problems with the bolts coming losse at the start. I disappeared but after several adjustments.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Magna Flow dyno shows 11hp+ for the Catback, and I contacted Borla too and they confirmed from 12-15 hp+ increase on their Catback.

From my experience with MF Catback, you can feel the difference above the stock for sure despite the fact that I didnt dyno my car yet.

Drone is nill, but I faced some problems with the bolts coming losse at the start. I disappeared but after several adjustments.
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't notice much if any but I did only a custom axelback at my muffler shop I go to. We did the 14" mufflers and 12" tips he had and did our own system. He felt with this motor that the 2-1/2" pipes wouldn't do much, 1-2 hp but lose on the bottom end, which I wasn't going to do.And I did it when the engine was still new and then added an Airaid v1 so any gains were not noticed at the time, or lost with the airaid as that thing was worse then stock in my testing. I added the resoanted x pipe, as their catback has later to get rid of drone, which it did, but i think the airaid v2 and headers added some of it back after sll were seasoned in with some miles on them. Oh well it is what it is.
I always wondered about the claimed hp by Magnaflow and others as it is always 2x what we see on the dyno. We seem to get only 4 with mufflers and maybe 1-2 more with bigger pipes/x pipe and similar in torque or a little more when members test. I know on the LS1 they said 18 hp when all anyone ever got was 8-10. Thing is they really test the systems in all conditions and give an average, probably better then you or I with our three pulls we get to do. Main thing is you noticed the difference and it takes more then 5-6 hp for that. Maybe I should add the bigger pipes, might help more then people think.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #9
moocow2024

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
if u want performance get LT headers instead of shorties and it sounds really nice to
I have heard that in terms of sound that the shorties are superior to the LT. I am looking for performance, but, I also understand that I own a v6 and value sound over squeezing every ounce of performance out of my car. It is my daily driver so I'm not ever looking to move to forced induction. The shorties seem like a good option for what I want to do.

Are there any shorties that provide decent gains but don't cause a CEL? I thought I remember reading that scrming didn't get a CEL with his JBA's?
moocow2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:

Those are MANUFACTURER dynos. Not real-world unbiased dynos. You're more likely to see 5-8hp gains.

Exhaust systems (axle- or cat-back) aren't much in the way of power adders. But I do like that the cat-backs increase the width all the way down. I think it makes it smoother than going from 2.5 headers down to 2.25 and back to 2.5 for the axle back, but that's just my idea.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow2024 View Post
I have heard that in terms of sound that the shorties are superior to the LT. I am looking for performance, but, I also understand that I own a v6 and value sound over squeezing every ounce of performance out of my car. It is my daily driver so I'm not ever looking to move to forced induction. The shorties seem like a good option for what I want to do.

Are there any shorties that provide decent gains but don't cause a CEL? I thought I remember reading that scrming didn't get a CEL with his JBA's?
Doug Thorleys. Do not throw CELs, look and sound amazing. I'd say top of the shorty game, but I'm biased Contact Ivan @ southwest speed.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #12
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Doug Thorleys. Do not throw CELs, look and sound amazing. I'd say top of the shorty game, but I'm biased Contact Ivan @ southwest speed.

Thank you!!

For the money, the value is unsurpassed in the DT Shorties. In all the sets we've sold, only one ever triggered a CEL and that ended up being from a faulty weld that, when corrected, remedied the entire situation.

We appreciate the awesome word of mouth from our customers....means the world to me!

Thank you all!
Ivan & Christa
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Those are MANUFACTURER dynos. Not real-world unbiased dynos. You're more likely to see 5-8hp gains.

Exhaust systems (axle- or cat-back) aren't much in the way of power adders. But I do like that the cat-backs increase the width all the way down. I think it makes it smoother than going from 2.5 headers down to 2.25 and back to 2.5 for the axle back, but that's just my idea.
I have 2.5" all the way through the x pipe so intermediate pipe change would be easy, ss pipes or aluminized at my muffler shop. just not much in gains even Magnaflow said this but they don't know how much either, never tested.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
I have 2.5" all the way through the x pipe so intermediate pipe change would be easy, ss pipes or aluminized at my muffler shop. just not much in gains even Magnaflow said this but they don't know how much either, never tested.
Yeah who knows. Like I said, there's not much there from exhaust on this particular car. But tthere are considerable weight savings.

Tags
corsa exhaust, headers, mrt 2.0