Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #29
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
ls3 stock cam specs posted on OP
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #30
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Thank you, I will post new thread.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #31
tandtperformance

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2011 PACE CAR 2012 ZL1
Send a message via Yahoo to tandtperformance
iam putting my new cam and spring kit in this weds ans then will have dyno sheet
i will also be seling my kit if any int
tandtperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #32
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
Excellent post CamaroSpike23.

Here is a little more detail on the differences between flat tappets and roller lifters. Everyone knows that roller camshafts give a more "aggressive" valve event. The aggressiveness is a function of lift, the rate of change of lift which is velocity, and the rate of change of velocity, which is acceleration. A roller cam can be ground with a more aggessive profile because it can tolerate higher stress levels and does not have the velocity limitation that a flat tappet cam has. Flat tappet cams can be ground with high accelerations, but are velocity limited due to the diameter of the lifter. Roller camshafts are not velocity limited, but the cam profile becomes concave as accelerations increase, making them expensive to grind.

Most roller camshafts are made from hardened steel, although some are made from a specific grade of cast iron, or even powdered metal. The combination of a steel cam and a quality steel roller bearing follower allow roller cams to operate at higher stress level, typically 250,000 PSI (or 250 KSI) in production engines. Flat tappet camshafts are made from cast iron, and are limited to contact stress levels of about 140 KSI.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #33
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Here is a little more detail on the differences between flat tappets and roller lifters. Everyone knows that roller camshafts give a more "aggressive" valve event. The aggressiveness is a function of lift, the rate of change of lift which is velocity, and the rate of change of velocity, which is acceleration. A roller cam can be ground with a more aggessive profile because it can tolerate higher stress levels and does not have the velocity limitation that a flat tappet cam has. Flat tappet cams can be ground with high accelerations, but are velocity limited due to the diameter of the lifter. Roller camshafts are not velocity limited, but the cam profile becomes concave as accelerations increase, making them expensive to grind.

Most roller camshafts are made from hardened steel, although some are made from a specific grade of cast iron, or even powdered metal. The combination of a steel cam and a quality steel roller bearing follower allow roller cams to operate at higher stress level, typically 250,000 PSI (or 250 KSI) in production engines. Flat tappet camshafts are made from cast iron, and are limited to contact stress levels of about 140 KSI.
GEN-IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #34
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN-IV View Post

thanks. your deleted post has better pics if you dont mind, im going to add them to the first post.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #35
GEN-IV
Right Cam

No problem, glad you liked it! You can see my deleted posts? Yikes, now you can see all of my spelling errors
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #36
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
No problem, glad you liked it! You can see my deleted posts? Yikes, now you can see all of my spelling errors

being a moderator has its perks.... would you mind if I un-deleted it? the info goes well with the pics.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #37
GEN-IV
Right Cam

You can undelete it, I was just trying to point out the roller cam flank concavity issue, but that graphic works too.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #38
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
just an FYI on the 30K spring change, my boss (who was a former drag racer) says that changing springs every 30K was designed by companies to make money. But if you have to money to do it every 30K it wouldn't hurt but he let his run 45-50K and only replaced them because he was selling the car to a friend. Hope this helps a little bit
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #39
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD RS 2 SS View Post
NEW 2 THE FORUM ALOT OF GOOD Q AND A s .... Ive got alot of catchimg up 2 do my car is 20 days new 2 me

welcome to the site. feel free to ask questions. use the search button up top to see if it has already been discussed before. enjoy your stay here!

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #40
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
And all of MY naked stuff.

ok, checked out the thread. This looks like a lot of fun. Still would be scared to crack it open though.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #41
coronado89

Drives: 2010 SS F1-D procharger,
Is the LS3 cam a 3 bolt cam or a single bolt cam??
coronado89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #42
mberry023

Drives: black 2010 camaro ss
Will a larger cam like th LG Motorsports G6x3 cam effect the knock sensors?
mberry023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cam