Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
DaveZL1

Drives: '15 ZL1
TUNED!! Horsepower Addicts is AWESOME!

Had my cammed/pulley'd A6 '15 ZL1 recently tuned by Josh @ Horsepower addicts in DE and COULD NOT be happier! Race Proven Motorsports had tuned it previously and after going back to them 3 separate times to adjust the trans tune (soft shifts) it started flaring BIG time going into 4th gear @ WOT. They proceeded to blame it on the transmission going out. I was devastated to think that my 10k mile ZL1 had a failing trans already at only 660 rwhp, which I didn't even beat on that much, and I had to fork out another $2k on a rebuild. I dropped the trans pan and shockingly everything seemed fine, fluid, filter, no material in the pan, etc. Josh was so helpful in trying to figure out what was causing the flare he retuned the trans with no change to the flare, then proceeded to gut the ENTIRE RPM tune (essentially starting over), along with a trans fast relearn and it was PERFECT. Every shift is quick, firm, and precise.

In my opinion, Josh went above and beyond what ANY tuner would do. From my experience, their work is also a fraction of the price compared to RPM.

Long story short, My work will be going to HPA from now on.
DaveZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
*EDIT*

Comments were made before truth was brought forth. Disregard.

Last edited by Can'tHave2MuchHP; 10-24-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
DaveZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
That flare you speak of is a well known issue when people tune the trans and I'm surprised RPM didn't know about it...
I know it's crazy because Josh re-tuned the trans and it was still flaring. It had to be something else in the engine tune screwing with torque tables or something. That's why he had to scrap entire tune and start fresh.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:47 AM   #4
N2O

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
That flare you speak of is a well known issue when people tune the trans and I'm surprised RPM didn't know about it...
what do you mean by flaring?
Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
Maybe you want to mention that you brought it to me in the first place because the trans WOULDN'T shift at all after HPA tuned it.

I have messages from you stating the trans tune felt awesome after I was done... not to mention you even ran a new best in the 1/4 by a decent amount.

You changed to a diff tire size after I tuned it causing the trans to act diff then what I originally tuned the car on. You brought it back I fixed it, you said trans felt awesome.

3 weeks later you said it had a little flare I told you I had to look at it...That's where it ended.

So don't come on here claiming like we tuned it first and you brought it back 3 times for the same issue. If you are going to make a post bashing me at least state facts.

Last edited by Frans96ss; 10-24-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast

I had a feeling RPM wouldn't screw up and leave anything like that. (Appears they never screwed up here anyways).
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
DaveZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
Maybe you want to mention that you brought it to me in the first place bc the trans WOULDNT shift at all after HPA tuned it. I have messaged from you stating the trans tune felt awesome. You ran a new best in the 1/4 by a decent amount. You changed to a diff tire size after i tuned it causing the trans to act diff then what i originally tuned the car on. You brought it back i fixed it, you said trans felt awesome. 3 weeks later said it had a little flare i told you i had to look at it. Thats where it ended. So dont come on here claiming like we tuned it first and you brought it back 3 times for the same issue. If you are going to make a post bashing me at least state facts.
Mr. Schatz your arrogance is stunning. I said it was a long story but here it goes... BTW, I have ZERO to gain by this post, just letting people know my experience.

Besides what I've done myself, HPA did ALL of the work to my cars including my C5 Z (which is still currently CF #9 fast list for internal/external mods). HPA did the pulley/ported snout/injectors and HX first, car put down 596 rwhp. Ran GREAT with an 11.0 @ 128 in the 1/4. Then went back to them for a cam swap and Josh tuned it but HE wasn't completely satisfied with a bit of the tune that I didn't even feel. Transmission shifted PERFECT!

Josh didn't charge me for the dyno tune AT ALL. It dyno'd 636 rwhp. In hind sight I should've ran it at the track as is with the HPA tune but it was mid june at the time and the DA was terrible. I figured what could I lose, so I gave RPM a call. They tuned it, I was happy at the time because it made 660 rwhp and RPM made a big spectacle of it on one of their Youtube videos and claimed their tune made a 80 rwhp gain over the "other shops" tune.

The engine tune seemed pretty much spot on, and the transmission tune was always on the soft side and erratic on part throttle acceleration, which is why I brought it back, but at least it still shifted (at that point). Got it back and the next day I went to the track it ran 11.0 @ 126 .. Same ET and 2 mph drop from BEFORE the cam! I asked Fran what the deal was he said it could be the 1/4" taller ET street R's causing the trans to shift weird. Brought it back in for them to look at the tune again. Got it back, took it to the track and now it was flaring/slipping hardcore going into 4th @ WOT. Granted during these 4th gear flares I ran my best to date which was a 10.77 @ 128.

I this point I'm thinking my trans is beginning to die from what Fran is telling me. I contact my cousin who builds these transmissions at Benchmark, he quoted me a price. He then told me to drop the pan first and see if any debris was present in the pan, which there wasn't. That is when I started thinking it was still in the tune. At this time I was still in contact with Josh because we parted on good terms as he said he didn't want to lose me as a customer just because there could have been a hiccup in the tune, which again, I didn't even feel.

Brought the car to HPA and Josh said lets just strap it to the dyno to see what it puts down without touching ANYTHING. It put down 609 rwhp - a far cry from the 660 I'd say. Then, as I said in the above post, Josh put in JUST the trans tune he had done in my car previously which I loved. It shifted great in all gears EXCEPT going into 4th @ WOT again. Josh then reflashed entire engine tune back into it along with a trans fast relearn. Shifts are ON POINT now. No erratic shifting. Firm and precise. Even dyno'd 655 after the HPA reflash.

Like I said... Just my experience.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
Not going to get into a pissing match here. I will GLADLY post our conversation back and forth with stuff said which goes completely against what you posted. Regardless if you are happy and the car is running good then it is what it is.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
No, posting who said what more won't say anymore than what was already shared.

I agree with RPM's last comment that the audience won't figure out who tuned what better with additional posted comments "pissing match".

I'm glad RPM shared their side and with two different shops tuning the car, without posting the tune files we don't know who changed or improved or fixed what.

OP you got to share which shop you like better, don't you think we can let it go at that now?
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
DaveZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
No, posting who said what more won't say anymore than what was already shared.
Umm what???

And yes, I saw both tune files overlayed.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZL1 View Post
I know it's crazy because Josh re-tuned the trans and it was still flaring. It had to be something else in the engine tune screwing with torque tables or something. That's why he had to scrap entire tune and start fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZL1 View Post
Umm what???

And yes, I saw both tune files overlayed.
Yeah, that's what I thought reading it all, ummm what? If you saw the two tables overlayed why didn't you just fix what was wrong? Sounds like it wasn't identified from what you said you and Josh couldn't figure it out.

I'm happy for you Josh reflashed things until it works for you now. I'm not really bashing Josh here, but there isn't enough for us to go on, to say RPM tuned something wrong.

I don't really care to continue to point out why this is hard to follow, so I'm out too.

Last edited by silversleeper; 10-28-2017 at 03:40 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #13
DaveZL1

10.66 @ 129 - 1.55 60' last night in +822 DA. NEW BEST!
Old 04-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #14
DaveZL1

Ended up running a best of 10.25 @ 136 with this car. Thanks HPA.