Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-15-2019, 10:15 PM   #43
Marlon1LS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS w/L99/TR6060
Anyone attempting to reach me can do so at Marlon.garrett08@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marlon1LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #44
Capster78

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey Metalic 2SS
If you are totally dead set on a V8 swap, I would probably just buy an iron block from an aftermarket source. They would be significantly cheaper and you would have an engine already built to handle extra power rather then swapping in a factory engine and having to rebuild it if you want more power.

Like others mentioned, a motor swap comes with lots of other things you would need to swap. It's not as simple as just slapping a new motor in. If I were going to do a motor swap id probably like to have at least $30k set aside to do the job right for the cost of a new tranny, rear end, upgraded fuel system, supporting suspension system to get that extra power planted to the ground....ect...ect.... Its not just a motor swap....

If you don't have that kind of dough, it would be better to just trade it in for a V-8 or mod the current motor.
Capster78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #45
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
If you are totally dead set on a V8 swap, I would probably just buy an iron block from an aftermarket source. They would be significantly cheaper and you would have an engine already built to handle extra power rather then swapping in a factory engine and having to rebuild it if you want more power.

Like others mentioned, a motor swap comes with lots of other things you would need to swap. It's not as simple as just slapping a new motor in. If I were going to do a motor swap id probably like to have at least $30k set aside to do the job right for the cost of a new tranny, rear end, upgraded fuel system, supporting suspension system to get that extra power planted to the ground....ect...ect.... Its not just a motor swap....

If you don't have that kind of dough, it would be better to just trade it in for a V-8 or mod the current motor.
Marlon has done it and it certainly didn't cost him anywhere near 30K from what I have seen/read. I've sourced an engine with ECU and in the process of getting the tranny now, so I am estimating it to be around 13K when its all said and done. For me, the most costly thing is time.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #46
Marlon1LS

Idle Video from my swap finished years ago.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8forNWF..._web_copy_link
Old 02-13-2020, 06:21 AM   #47
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Yes. The majority of us can read. Thank you.

With that being said, a guy just posted on the 28th of July and posted pictures of his V6 to V8 swap. That is why I am here.
Oh good, you can see his posts too? I thought I was the only one judging by all these people who are still saying it's not possible or will cost $40k. Judging by the fact that he did this swap in his backyard, I'm fairly confident he did not invest $40k into it.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:15 AM   #48
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
OP not to discourage you but no matter what anyone tells you swapping to a v8 is a hornets nest that you can't imagine. Get a good tune for that v6 camaro and see how it feels. Mine runs fantastic and I wouldn't trade it for a v8. I would love to have a v8 but my v6 runs that good I have no good reason for having more hp. Plus the fuel mileage is great . The ONLY way I would attempt this swap is if I could buy a wrecked v8 Camaro and swap EVERYTHING from one car to the other. Then its a cake job, even the vin wouldn't really matter unless you have emission's then you would need to find someone willing to reprogram the vin if thats possible. I'd check that 1st. Good Luck
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #49
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
OP not to discourage you but no matter what anyone tells you swapping to a v8 is a hornets nest that you can't imagine. Get a good tune for that v6 camaro and see how it feels. Mine runs fantastic and I wouldn't trade it for a v8. I would love to have a v8 but my v6 runs that good I have no good reason for having more hp. Plus the fuel mileage is great . The ONLY way I would attempt this swap is if I could buy a wrecked v8 Camaro and swap EVERYTHING from one car to the other. Then its a cake job, even the vin wouldn't really matter unless you have emission's then you would need to find someone willing to reprogram the vin if thats possible. I'd check that 1st. Good Luck
The OP posted in 2015. Marlon who posted in this did do a successful swap and has a write up on how to do it.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #50
Sxren_Camaro'13
SEAHAWKS FOR LIFE!!

Drives: '13 Mod Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
The OP posted in 2015. Marlon who posted in this did do a successful swap and has a write up on how to do it.
its suprising cause it would be hard to do
Old 02-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #51
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Well it depends what you call a successful swap. Getting the engine running I wouldn't call a successful swap. Getting all the systems working without errors is another thing. I don't think its possible unless you have some hella connections to get things programmed. I can't even find someone who can delete the icy roads message from programming, to find someone who is willing to change vins and all the other changes that would need to be made would be astronomical IMO. If someone actually got it all done then I'd love to see a video starting the car and driving without lots of problems. Starting the engine is nothing.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #52
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
He got it done man. I think the last thing he was working on was the gauge cluster... 3 years ago. Marlons1LS is the owner and has posted in this thread as recently as today.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #53
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
his car is all set he's been driving it no issues no lights stock cluster and gauges working. A large part of his problem was getting a V8 BCM, wouldn't work with his V6 one, and a couple sensors had to be rewired because he didn't use the correct wiring harness. His long ass post is around. I read trough the whole thing. Once it was figured out what he needed, it isn't as tough as thought, you don't need a donor car, just the correct parts and harness, sensors.
Is it worth it to do? Not to me, but it can be done he pioneered it.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #54
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
Well it depends what you call a successful swap. Getting the engine running I wouldn't call a successful swap. Getting all the systems working without errors is another thing. I don't think its possible unless you have some hella connections to get things programmed. I can't even find someone who can delete the icy roads message from programming, to find someone who is willing to change vins and all the other changes that would need to be made would be astronomical IMO. If someone actually got it all done then I'd love to see a video starting the car and driving without lots of problems. Starting the engine is nothing.
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #55
Marlon1LS

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0kZO0Rl...on_share_sheet

V6 Instrument cluster. check engine light is from VATS( disabled). light can be turned off with MDI tool.