Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #15
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
The decel pop is from the tune, so any exhaust that is louder than stock will amplify it.
This. You will get it with any exhaust system more aggressive than stock as long as you don't mess with the DFCO in the stock tune.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #16
Rob3D

Drives: Car
My cutouts pop like mad..wicked, wicked poppin'!
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott's45 View Post
I think all exhausts have the decel pop. Mikeyg36 is correct. I used to like it when I had stock exhaust, but now that I have the Stainless Works retro chambered cat back...it's ridiculously loud! Sounds like I'm tossing out firecrackers out the back when I decel. Can't wait to put on my LT headers and get a tune, so I can get rid of it!
That's what I really wanted to hear. I've been quoted a great price on the SW exhaust, and the quality of their products is outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
This. You will get it with any exhaust system more aggressive than stock as long as you don't mess with the DFCO in the stock tune.
I'm glad you cleared that up for me. I'll have to remember that when it's tuning time.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #18
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Start from the front with headers and work your way back, or just do it all at the same time. Makes it easier.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Start from the front with headers and work your way back, or just do it all at the same time. Makes it easier.
I'm not ready for headers yet. I may have to come back for those when I decide on how my complete build will go.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #20
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'm not ready for headers yet. I may have to come back for those when I decide on how my complete build will go.
I think the reason he said to start from the headers and work your way back now instead of doing it twice is because you will gain absolutely nothing in terms of speed/acceleration/performance from doing the exhaust on the car. maybe 3rwhp if your lucky and even that thats within the dynos margin of error between pulls. Doing the exhaust on these cars is strictly for sound!

Also, because yours is an L99, youre going to hear that annoying AFM unless you get it tuned out and it's going to be extremely amplified by just about every aftermarket catback out there for these cars.

There are a few L99 specific catbacks that help drown the AFM out, I read Corsa makes one.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #21
Awill
Married

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
i've always loved the crackle and pop. is there anyway to possibly get it with the v6?? i hope there is.
Awill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #22
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 View Post
I think the reason he said to start from the headers and work your way back now instead of doing it twice is because you will gain absolutely nothing in terms of speed/acceleration/performance from doing the exhaust on the car. maybe 3rwhp if your lucky and even that thats within the dynos margin of error between pulls. Doing the exhaust on these cars is strictly for sound!

Also, because yours is an L99, youre going to hear that annoying AFM unless you get it tuned out and it's going to be extremely amplified by just about every aftermarket catback out there for these cars.

There are a few L99 specific catbacks that help drown the AFM out, I read Corsa makes one.
AFM doesn't bother me, and there is some power to be gained just from moving to high-quality pipes. GM stamped these exhausts. Also, think about the design. An H-pipe is way less efficient than an X-pipe. I don't expect to grab a whole lot of power, but there is some to be had.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #23
banter

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awill View Post
i've always loved the crackle and pop. is there anyway to possibly get it with the v6?? i hope there is.
Of course, same way really. The less baffles in your exhaust, the more noticeable it will be.

As for the guys with autos, it's a little more difficult to notice because of how your trans generally sticks with top gear when slowing down until you press the gas again.
banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #24
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
AFM doesn't bother me, and there is some power to be gained just from moving to high-quality pipes. GM stamped these exhausts. Also, think about the design. An H-pipe is way less efficient than an X-pipe. I don't expect to grab a whole lot of power, but there is some to be had.
I understand your thoughts, I used to think the same way...but after doing tons of research on the subject and multiple different users have posted before and after dyno results, the truth is the factory exhaust systems are very free-flowing and not the bottle-neck on these cars. That stock cats are.

Look here for an example:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44228

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #25
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
Slp lm2
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #26
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:

I'm glad you cleared that up for me. I'll have to remember that when it's tuning time.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #27
chris1973

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeryZ28 View Post
my Cherrybomb Extreme has some good pop.
100% agree. Add LT Headers and high flow cats and look out.

Appearance Mods: Razzi Bodykit with LEDs, 3D Carbon Side Vents, Tint, Painted Rims and Calipers,

See/hear my Camaro at
http://youtu.be/wn0Ck-cw6WQ
chris1973 is offline   Reply With Quote