Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-30-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
blewbyyou

Drives: Dusk SE
Vinyl overlays

Looking to purchase some dark vinyl overlays for the tail lights, turn signals and reverse lights. has anyone purchased these and did they cause any issues with damaging the lenses by causing them to get to hot.
I had some on my 4th gen and the lenses melted slightly causing what looked like dents in them. don't want to make that mistake again.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
Skirwin

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I had mine wrapped when I had my window's tinted. Did not cause any trouble with people being able to see them, but was ticketed for it once. When I moved states they would not let my car pass inspection with the tail lights and side markers done.

Never took off the reserve light ones, they did not look for that with inspection.

Skirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
cnrad

Drives: 2011 Cᴀᴍᴀʀo
Anytime someone asks about tinting their lights, I always recommend Headlight Armor. They have a great product. I had their tint on my taillights for a little over 7 years before deciding to take it off and they held up really well, especially considering my car sits outside 24/7 in California. When I took the tint off, the taillights looked like the day I put the tint on, no blemishes at all.

cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
Gonzo SS

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS LS3/M6
I've had them on my tailights and side markers for a couple of years with no heat issues.

Gonzo SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
My Z had them on all lights minus headlight before I purchased. I applied Headlight Armors smoked headlight vinyl about 6 or 8 months ago with no issues so far for any of them. Minus one of the sidelight corners started to lift a tiny tiny tiny bit. I'll replace it eventually with another set

EDIT: I will say headlight tint was a dumb idea if I actually drove at night more than once every 2 months. The visibility is complete crap with stock lights! Luckily I have upgraded super bright LEDs or the tint would have been removed right after install. Now that I have factory LS fog lights it's not a huge issue as they make up for the loss of light. Don't worry fog light Nazis... they are adjusted correctly so they don't blind oncoming traffic

Last edited by tstodii; 05-01-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added content
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo SS View Post
I've had them on my tailights and side markers for a couple of years with no heat issues.
Love that color combination on your ride. Please post up some more pix.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnrad View Post
Anytime someone asks about tinting their lights, I always recommend Headlight Armor. They have a great product. I had their tint on my taillights for a little over 7 years before deciding to take it off and they held up really well, especially considering my car sits outside 24/7 in California. When I took the tint off, the taillights looked like the day I put the tint on, no blemishes at all.

I'm not a fan of the lense tinting, but I like what you did with the darkened bezel in pic #2. I think it makes more difference than the dark lense with the chrome bezel.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #8
cnrad

Drives: 2011 Cᴀᴍᴀʀo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
I'm not a fan of the lense tinting, but I like what you did with the darkened bezel in pic #2. I think it makes more difference than the dark lense with the chrome bezel.
Thanks. The tinted taillights were cool in the beginning, but I grew tired of them after a while. I do prefer the new combo though .
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #9
Spec

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Bigworm's got something for you... great overlays, no issue removing leaving no residue... will not cause your lenses to melt.

https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/
Old 05-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #10
Gonzo SS

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
Love that color combination on your ride. Please post up some more pix.
Thanks! I bought some used engine covers that are Imperial Blue with Cyber Grey stripes and I really like the color combo so I found some vinyl that was pretty close.
Attached Images

Gonzo SS is offline   Reply With Quote