Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #29
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
There should be an OnStar delete option. I understand the benefits of it, but making it as standard on cars as a steering wheel is more marketing than safety. Unless, of course, GM is willing to give it to us for free, without having to pay a monthly service charge after a year, which you know won't happen...... I would prefer to have the bluetooth connectivity STANDARD on all radios (not just the 2SS).

When I buy my Camaro, I will be looking at ways to safely, effectively, and permanantly remove as much of the OnStar system from my car as I can. Including removing the rear view mirror.

I have alot of experience in electronics, including home, car, and medical devices. I'm sure I can make the right modifications to eliminate OnStar without affecting the rest of the vehicle.

Especially once the full service manual is available - I will be among the first to order one.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #30
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
There should be an OnStar delete option. I understand the benefits of it, but making it as standard on cars as a steering wheel is more marketing than safety. Unless, of course, GM is willing to give it to us for free, without having to pay a monthly service charge after a year, which you know won't happen...... I would prefer to have the bluetooth connectivity STANDARD on all radios (not just the 2SS).

When I buy my Camaro, I will be looking at ways to safely, effectively, and permanantly remove as much of the OnStar system from my car as I can. Including removing the rear view mirror.

I have alot of experience in electronics, including home, car, and medical devices. I'm sure I can make the right modifications to eliminate OnStar without affecting the rest of the vehicle.

Especially once the full service manual is available - I will be among the first to order one.
There is an OnStar delete option, it's called "buy a Ford, Chrysler, etc."!! If some of you don't want OnStar, that's OK, I don't see why all the fuss about it being installed, enjoy the free 1 year service and then forget it's there. Do the little OnStar buttons on the rear view mirror really annoy you that much?? I find that kind of silly, but that's just me.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #31
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
My insurance is cheaper by having OnStar. In a way it almost pays for itself.
McGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #32
ssdavidw
Camaro OCD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS, RS, RJT
There's a cool feature built into Mapquest that takes advantage of the OnStar Turn by Turn Navigation that I didn't know about until recently.

On the Mapquest website you can find an address and then click Send to OnStar. When you get in your Camaro you can pull up the address you sent over and have it navigate there.

There's also a Mapquest app for the iPhone and Blackberry. They don't support the send to OnStar feature yet but hopefully soon will.

2010 Camaro - Red Jewel Tintcoat, 2SS, RS, Auto, Black Interior, Cyber Gray Rally Stripes
ssdavidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #33
GM4LIFE
*KissMySS*13 my other 1/2

Drives: 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE
on star is great... I was in a accident a girl hit me, ran a red light when texting, before i even realized what happend on star was on the phone. they are very quick and reliable. they also helped with the police report. on star is just one extra reason why i continue to buy GM vehicles
GM4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #34
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
ONSTAR RULES!! I've had it since 2002 when I bought my Monte Carlo SS. That is all....
Old 07-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #35
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I'm out shopping for a used Z06.
TomServo, if you are seriously looking for a used ZO6, you should check out http://www.texasdirectauto.com/ and look at the "sports car" selection. I don't think you can buy a good used car any cheeper. They sell all their cars at about $3K to $5k BELOW bluebook. I bought my wife a 06 300 for a meare $16k and it only had 25k miles on it, curently there are 20 Vettes listed, of which 3 are Z06's the newest one is an 07 model with only 1000 miles on it, here is the specs of that one: One Owner 2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 505HP - Velocity Yellow - Chrome Wheels - NAV - HUD - Built for Speed!! Only 1K Mi!!
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (7.0L 8cyl 6M) with Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Exterior, Black Interior. Loaded with 7.0L LS7 V8 SFI Engine, 6-Speed Manual Transmission, Leather Seats, Heated Front Seats, Power Driver Seat, Leather Steering Wheel Trim, Audio Steering Wheel Controls, Bose Audio, AM/FM Radio w/CD Player and DVD Navigation, OnStar System, Head-Up Display, Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Paint, Z06 Chrome Aluminum Wheels
hope this might help
Old 07-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #36
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Kind of a funny OnStar story here.

I was picking up a bed to move into my apartment with my mother's '06 Monte Carlo, and since OnStar relies on Verizon's network (or roaming partners), for which there was no coverage, when I locked myself out of the car, OnStar was unable to unlock it after I locked my keys in the car. Well, I ended up crawling in through the open trunk and the smaller folded down back seat, and damned near got stuck.

I had to say though, they handled the situation very well, and after all was said and done asked if they could run diagnostics on the car to see if there was a problem with the OnStar system, which there wasn't, and even gave me 100 free minutes for the phone, even though I declined the locksmith they offered at no charge, and knew what happened and why, and was okay with it.

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #37
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
My insurance is cheaper by having OnStar. In a way it almost pays for itself.
Hmm, will have to check into that! Who's your provider?
Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #38
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'sSS View Post
Hmm, will have to check into that! Who's your provider?
All Insurance companies will give a discount for Onstar as they count it as a tracking device like Lojack. Just ask your agent or provider. That said its at most a $20-$30 discount per 6 months on your comprehensive coverage on your policy....

When I sold insurance people would ask me about getting Lojak and the discoutn and I would say the following "If you're gonna get a $500 lojak to get a policy discount its a tremendous waste of money, if you're gonna get it cause you want your car back, go for it."
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #39
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
TomServo, if you are seriously looking for a used ZO6, you should check out http://www.texasdirectauto.com/ and look at the "sports car" selection. I don't think you can buy a good used car any cheeper. They sell all their cars at about $3K to $5k BELOW bluebook. I bought my wife a 06 300 for a meare $16k and it only had 25k miles on it, curently there are 20 Vettes listed, of which 3 are Z06's the newest one is an 07 model with only 1000 miles on it, here is the specs of that one: One Owner 2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 505HP - Velocity Yellow - Chrome Wheels - NAV - HUD - Built for Speed!! Only 1K Mi!!
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr Coupe (7.0L 8cyl 6M) with Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Exterior, Black Interior. Loaded with 7.0L LS7 V8 SFI Engine, 6-Speed Manual Transmission, Leather Seats, Heated Front Seats, Power Driver Seat, Leather Steering Wheel Trim, Audio Steering Wheel Controls, Bose Audio, AM/FM Radio w/CD Player and DVD Navigation, OnStar System, Head-Up Display, Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Paint, Z06 Chrome Aluminum Wheels
hope this might help
Thanks for the lead. I've found several within 200 miles on my home many with just a few thousand miles and all for $15 to $20K below MSRP. I'm looking for the 2007 LeMans Blue so I can do a GS style white stripe. LBM is rather rare, but I'm in no hurry.

Tom
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #40
navmaxlp

Drives: Not a Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I would prefer to have the bluetooth connectivity STANDARD on all radios (not just the 2SS).

Might want to check this out. It's what I'm using.

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/b...-free-car-kits

You can also install a carputer to eliminate the need for turn by turn. Some software gives you what is basically a nav system. I mention a good deal about it in this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29901
navmaxlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #41
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I keep on-star on both the 06 Silverado and my wifes 07 Suburban just like Scott pointed out you just never know. Honestly it's only a few hundred dollars a year my wife and daughter are worth it.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #42
F55C6

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS 2005 Corvette
Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullger View Post
A little search pays off http://solutions.vzwshop.com/onstar/
I utilize Verizon in my C6 equipped with On Star and it works great. Very cheap compared to purchasing minutes from GM. We share 2100 minutes in the family plan.
F55C6 is offline   Reply With Quote