Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halltech View Post
It is not a roto fab unit. That is the name of a competitor of ours. It is the Halltech Yellow Jacket. It is made by roto molding, which is probably what you were referring to.

So....I'm trying to decide between the Roto-Fab and Halltech unit. Do have any info as to why the Halltech would be better than the R-F unit?

The R-F unit is $310 to my door with the color matched heat shield. So far...price and the color matched heat shield is the only big difference I can see.

Also....I see where a lot of people talk about systems such as the ADM unit that have the same abmbient temps as outside. Any way you can give a quick explanation as to what this means, how it helps, and if the Halltech unit is able to maintain the ambient temps like the ADM type systems?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
We guarantee 14-22 HP (depending on whether bone stock or modified) without tuning or codes.
Just out of curiosity....is the 14-22 rwhp or hp at the crank?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #17
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Just out of curiosity....is the 14-22 rwhp or hp at the crank?
RWHP-14 RWHP/11 lb-ft on the stock LS3 6 speed. +22 when adding to headers that are already installed. +22 with a TVS2300 Maggie.
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #18
Halltech

Quote:
So....I'm trying to decide between the Roto-Fab and Halltech unit. Do have any info as to why the Halltech would be better than the R-F unit?

The R-F unit is $310 to my door with the color matched heat shield. So far...price and the color matched heat shield is the only big difference I can see.

Also....I see where a lot of people talk about systems such as the ADM unit that have the same abmbient temps as outside. Any way you can give a quick explanation as to what this means, how it helps, and if the Halltech unit is able to maintain the ambient temps like the ADM type systems?
All intakes that have a sealed heat shield like ours has parity between ambient and intake air temps. We scanned the entire ECM for 2 months making sure everything was dialed in as good as stock in terms of fuel trims, timing, WOT open loop air fuel ratios, and knock detection. Our intake is better than stock in every way, including weight. Our carbon fiber unit saves 4 lbs. the plastic unit 3 lbs.

We have a built in Velocity stack unlike any other system on the market. Some have attempted to come close, but our integrated bellmount VS design keeps the air clean, with the airflow approaching fully developed laminar flow at the MAF sensor for perfect long term fuel trim averages. Our MAF read area makes this possible.

Jim
Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:

The two biggest differences I see in both units are that the Yellowjacket has a purpose built velocity stack that is HUGE. The R-F has a smoothed out inlet but it's not anywhere near the extent that the Yelowjacket is. The other is that the Yellowjacket intake tube is seamless from velocity stack to TB. The R-F is two pieces that connect after the MAF area with a bubble tube. If you believe that laminar flow is what gets the most air into a NA engine, any break or protrusion in the path will create turbulence. Are we talking a MASSIVE difference, probably not but every advantage helps. I think the R-F unit is very nice and was on my short list till I broke each CAI down and compared them.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #20
slicker
slicker

Drives: Cyber Grey 1 LT / RS
Im one of those that dont know what WOT means. but I am trying to decide what CAI to get. Im not concerned with power as like HP. because 304 HP is fine for meand dont want to losse any of that. I hear that a CAI improves a cleaner air to the engine and I belive that. Im loooking for a lttle better throtle responce and I hear that a CAI also gives the sound a little deeper sound. I will change the exhaust later to better improve that. Im looking at what is better for what im looking for, Airaid, Ingine, Halltech or Roto-Fab. can some one please tell me
Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #21
Halltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicker View Post
Im one of those that dont know what WOT means. but I am trying to decide what CAI to get. Im not concerned with power as like HP. because 304 HP is fine for meand dont want to losse any of that. I hear that a CAI improves a cleaner air to the engine and I belive that. Im loooking for a lttle better throtle responce and I hear that a CAI also gives the sound a little deeper sound. I will change the exhaust later to better improve that. Im looking at what is better for what im looking for, Airaid, Ingine, Halltech or Roto-Fab. can some one please tell me
WOT=Wide Open Throttle or pedal to the metal.

I have lost most of my hearing from years of standing behind Top Fuel bikes and rails, so my hearing would not be a very good testimonial.

Your best source for sound is the exhaust mods. Most will bring the throaty sound you are looking for. I have read that our intake does improve the intake sound substantially. Wish I could hear it.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #22
slicker
slicker

cool it sound like this one is a lttle mor dificult to instal. and do you need a tune.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #23
Halltech

Quote:
cool it sound like this one is a lttle mor dificult to instal. and do you need a tune.
15 minutes total time to install for the first time. 5 minutes for me.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #24
slicker
slicker

is the price difrent for the 1LT
Old 03-01-2010, 01:36 AM   #25
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
I say 20min because the OEM box can give you some hassles. Absolutely no tune required. Your fuel trims will be as good or better than stock.

Quote:
is the price difrent for the 1LT
I don't think he has one for the V6.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:37 AM   #26
Soundwave

Drives: Camaro SS(2)/RS
I know that this is supposed to be a "no tune" CAI, but has anyone logged fuel trims to see if they change at all? I would imagine they'd have to change somewhat.

I'm assuming that filter is an oil filter, anyone try running with a dry flow?

Last edited by Soundwave; 03-01-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #27
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
WOT=Wide Open Throttle or pedal to the metal.

I have lost most of my hearing from years of standing behind Top Fuel bikes and rails, so my hearing would not be a very good testimonial.

Your best source for sound is the exhaust mods. Most will bring the throaty sound you are looking for. I have read that our intake does improve the intake sound substantially. Wish I could hear it.
I just installed my new Yellow Jacket. Wow! I mean Wow! Yes, it's that good.

I shopped around a lot before I made my decision. I'm a novice but I have a good eye for quality. Having spoken with several dealers of CAI's and their manufacturers I learned some good stuff. I also read a lot on this message board.

After speaking with Jim and hearing about his research and development--which means a lot considering his experience working with Corvettes--as well as his strong guarantee that the regular Yellow Jacket would not throw codes nor would it require a tune, and also the HP claims, I was sold.

I was somewhat disappointed in the instructions that are available for the install. It's all good, I was able to install it myself with a limited toolbox and about 14 years away from installing bolt-on mods. The install took me about 2 hours.

The fit is really tight and the parts are well-crafted. If there were better instructions, which might include some advice for certain phases of the install, and also numbered steps for how to proceed, the install could be completed by someone like myself in about 25-30 mins.

My only other mod is a Corsa catback. What a pair these two mods make. Wow!

Right when I turned on the car, it just bellowed out a monster growl that wasn't there before with just the Corsa. My Corsa system is loud and throaty now because of the Yellow Jacket. There's your proof, Jim. Love the sound!

I don't even care about HP numbers at the moment (I just had my car dynoed, it has really good numbers 336 HP/361 TQ, on a Mustang dyno, with just the Corsa on it), but I could tell immediately when I drove down my street that my car was faster now that I have the Yellow Jacket.

Then, I took it for a spin and in every RPM range my car had more pull.

I have the SS automatic, btw.

So, all in all, Halltech is the bomb. As long as no codes show up or check engine lights, I'll be stoked. And down the road I'll get another dyno to see what the increase was.

Thanks Halltech.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #28
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
cool
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote