Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #43
Stark

Drives: fair to good
I flash my head lights after i've checked for the second LEO, but most people ignore the warning, or have no idea why i'm flashing at them.( kids these days )

Once in a blue moon, someone will flash at me, and as a thanks, i give one flash back as comprehension.

However, good countermeasures makes random encounters a more equal playing field.
Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #44
lightning
Lightning & Thunder

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechuck View Post
I remember the good old days when you would pass a Cop setting on the side of the road, running Radar, and you would flash your lights to everyone you passed. They in turn would wave and nod thanking you for keeping there ass out of a ticket. I passed a cop today and flashed my lights at everyone coming to save them and not 1 person gave me the time of day. Ungrateful is what they are. I even checked my lights to make sure they were working. Just don't understand it anymore. I must be getting old and they just don't do this anymore.
Dude, we are getting old. People don't even know what this means anymore. The rest, who do know what it means, are too selfish to say thanks with a return flash. However, there is hope... a trucker gave me the warning flash the other day. I flashed him back.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #45
ClaymoreZ28

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
Funny thing is that they do the same thing in Scotland (i.e. flash lights to warn folks)
I do see that around here in NC also - maybe its a Southern courtesy thing :-)
Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #46
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
I just did this last night...funny you mentioned it. I looked in the rear view to see that he did check his breaks, so that car knew what I was talking about.

Countermeasures sounds too intrusive...I like to use the term "situational awareness" to describe the detector

A co-worker and I came up with a whole Seinfeld bit a while back to go along this. Jerry and George are in Jerry's place, and George is crying because he got a speeding ticket. He then says he should have known what was coming because he saw someone flash their lights, but it was a good mile back. So they start discussing the protocol about how far the headlights should be flashed after passing an officer. In walks Kramer. Jerry asks him
"If you see a speed trap, how far after do you flash your high beams?"
Kramer responds (in typical Kramer fashion with his hand up and palm out)
"Half a mile - no more, no less!"
There is more discussion and squabbling about it. In walk Elaine.
Again Jerry asks
"How about you Elaine? How far after you pass a speed trap do you flash your lights?"
Elaine wrinkles her nose, "Flash your lights??? Why would you do that!!!???"
She then relates a story about how she once got pulled over for speeding and ended up dating the officer...
cut to commercial...

Ok, maybe that took a bit too long to type out...but you get the idea. Maybe it made you LOL, just a bit?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #47
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechuck View Post
I remember the good old days when you would pass a Cop setting on the side of the road, running Radar, and you would flash your lights to everyone you passed. They in turn would wave and nod thanking you for keeping there ass out of a ticket. I passed a cop today and flashed my lights at everyone coming to save them and not 1 person gave me the time of day. Ungrateful is what they are. I even checked my lights to make sure they were working. Just don't understand it anymore. I must be getting old and they just don't do this anymore.

I don't think people know what it means anymore....same with flashing your lights to let another car know they can pull out in front of you if they are merging, or just coming out of a side street...
I have pretty much given up bothering....
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #48
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
If someone coming the other way flashed their lights, I would just assume they're either telling somebody to turn off their brights or trying to say hello to somebody they recognize. The thought that it was a warning about cops wouldn't even cross my mind.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #49
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Dude, we are getting old. People don't even know what this means anymore. The rest, who do know what it means, are too selfish to say thanks with a return flash. However, there is hope... a trucker gave me the warning flash the other day. I flashed him back.

yeah, truckers are about the only ones who will show you appreciation when they put on the blinkers and need to get over. I'll flash my lights and slow down when I see he needs to get over while others continue to go by and ignore him. He'll then flash his running lights to let me know thanks.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #50
Dowgg123

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
If someone coming the other way flashed their lights, I would just assume they're either telling somebody to turn off their brights or trying to say hello to somebody they recognize. The thought that it was a warning about cops wouldn't even cross my mind.
I think things have just changed... I remember when I was younger, people would flash them to my mom and dad every time there was a cop running radar. Nowadays, now that Im driving, I never have anyone flash me because of a cop... I'll flash it at them every now and then, but i just start to forget since Im the only one doing it usually.
Dowgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #51
onechuck
Onechuck

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2SS\RS SC & Cammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
How old are you?
I am 42 but at least I am courteous.
onechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #52
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
parents taught me this when I first got my license, now I'm 19 and still do this every so often
Gigachip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #53
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Is there a universal signal for "TURN OFF YOUR BLINKER"?!
Actually, if they were driving a Camaro, they would know. After a period of time, a warning comes on the DIC that reads "Your directional is flashing" (or something like this) I of course have not actually seen this warning myself.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #54
CleanCutCreations

Drives: 2010 camaro
I feel your pain. You gotta face facts, nearly everyone that is driving around these days are so detached from the road, and every other driver around them, that I can't believe there aren't more fatal accidents. The car manufacterers tout how "sound proof" and quiet their cars are and have made them that way to such a point that with the radio at an average level you can't hear ANYTHING going on outside of a newer luxury car! There are even comercials promoting this!
The other day I saw a firetruck responding to a call (full lights, air horn and sirens) sitting nose to nose with an SUV while driving around a median to avoid a stacked up redlight. The driver of the SUV was yelling at the firetruck through the window wondering why they were on the wrong side of the road!!!!! Driver didn't see/hear the firetruck 'till it was 2 feet from his front bumper..... Some people.......
CleanCutCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #55
TXCammy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM/Beige/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Kid? I wish. I'm 48, grew up in Michigan. I had no idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
my bad. but yeah. my dad taught me that when i was 12.

Maybe its a "Southern Hospitality" thing....no harm intended to anyone.
TXCammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #56
Taz_FL

Drives: 1LT/RS Yellow/Black
I still flash my lights to warn others