Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Used KBB values on the 2010s skewed?

Thinking of trading in the Camaro, looked at the used trade in value on KBB...

Put in my options, and at 3600 miles it says:

Excellent Cond. $34.025
Good Cond. $32,225
Fair Cond. $29,125

Checked private party and it says $37k and change...

How can that be? It's used, and KBB values it at the same (or more depending on condition) than I paid for it.

What's a 1ss LS3 car with 3600 miles really worth?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
I never use KBB as I feel it under values. I usually use edmunds.com
allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
KBB's likely skewed by the fact that for the first several months that the Camaro was out, people were re-selling theirs for huge markups since it was impossible for someone to just walk onto a dealer's lot and find one to buy. I don't know how many months they average their data over, but until they stop including that period, all their numbers will be skewed high.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
xcdarrel17

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
I just traded in my LS 2010 perfect condition Camaro. I was so pumped to see KBB listed my LS as being basically worth what I paid for it (trade in value). I shopped around at 5 different dealers and no one would go within 3 grand of the KBB value for a trade.

So, yes it is skewed and not realistic of the actual market-place. Atleast this was my experience.
xcdarrel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
www.nadaguides.com says :

2010 Camaro SS (V8), no leather:
rough trade in: $30,850
clean trade in:$32,075
retail (used car): $35,675

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2010/...dard-Equipment
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcdarrel17 View Post
I just traded in my LS 2010 perfect condition Camaro. I was so pumped to see KBB listed my LS as being basically worth what I paid for it (trade in value). I shopped around at 5 different dealers and no one would go within 3 grand of the KBB value for a trade.

So, yes it is skewed and not realistic of the actual market-place. Atleast this was my experience.
Were you looking at the dealer trade in value, or private party? But to the OP, yes the KBB values are messed up. A 1SS with no extra options and 3,000+ miles should be about 2K less than what you paid for it. So figure the going national prices now... 32K would be the best you should get. Could you probably find someone to buy higher? Sure. You always can.

Mine would probably go for about 25K or so... even though it has a ton of upgrades and I took it at dealer cost of 27K. I have less than 1,000 miles so I might be able to swindle 26K from someone but once it goes used, you're not getting what you purchased it for or what KBB says. It also doesn't matter to most what you put into it (CAI, exhaust, etc). Face value is face value... you'd be better off bringing it back to stock and selling off the parts. Though like I said above, there's always one person who will bite into the description and pay full price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcdarrel17 View Post

What did you trade in for?!

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Jason@JacFab

I took the camaro to my local Chevy dealer (where I bought it) to get it washed today, and they had an 09 Challenger SRT8 w/ 6000 miles on it. I told them I wanted an 05/06 GTO and they suggested I drive the Challenger... Sure why not, that way at least I can say I drove one, and know how it is compared to a Camaro.

I drove the Challenger for quite a long test drive. Is it faster than the Camaro? Sure doesn't seem like it... The Camaro handles better also... BUT (for me) The Challenger was a very comfortable car, I liked the clutch feel better, shifted better, better interior, better seats... They did the typical car dealer thing, "If we can keep your payments the same, or lower them would you buy it?"... Sure why not?

Without checking credit, and jumping through all the hoops, they said they would give me 32k for my car on trade, but they wanted 40 for the challenger... No thanks, I dont want to spend that much.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I took the camaro to my local Chevy dealer (where I bought it) to get it washed today, and they had an 09 Challenger SRT8 w/ 6000 miles on it. I told them I wanted an 05/06 GTO and they suggested I drive the Challenger... Sure why not, that way at least I can say I drove one, and know how it is compared to a Camaro.

I drove the Challenger for quite a long test drive. Is it faster than the Camaro? Sure doesn't seem like it... The Camaro handles better also... BUT (for me) The Challenger was a very comfortable car, I liked the clutch feel better, shifted better, better interior, better seats... They did the typical car dealer thing, "If we can keep your payments the same, or lower them would you buy it?"... Sure why not?

Without checking credit, and jumping through all the hoops, they said they would give me 32k for my car on trade, but they wanted 40 for the challenger... No thanks, I dont want to spend that much.
I wouldn't even have given it a thought. The Challenger comes nowhere near the Camaro in any regard as far as I'm concerned. I would however put it over the Mustang. But that's where the line is drawn.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Maybe you used the Canadian version of KBB

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Thinking of trading in the Camaro, looked at the used trade in value on KBB...

Put in my options, and at 3600 miles it says:

Excellent Cond. $34.025
Good Cond. $32,225
Fair Cond. $29,125

Checked private party and it says $37k and change...

How can that be? It's used, and KBB values it at the same (or more depending on condition) than I paid for it.

What's a 1ss LS3 car with 3600 miles really worth?
What was the MSRP when you bought it? Lately private selling is about $3k below the MSRP and trading it in is about $5k below.

Also keep in mind, KBB and NADA are skewed and that no dealer uses them. Dealers use black book prices that are not available to the public and they change weekly vs the KBB and NADA's yearly. These prices are also 75-80% below KBB and NADA for the typical car.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Jason@JacFab

Don't get me wrong, the Camaro is WAY faster, and handles WAY better, but the Challenger just feels more comfortable to me... Different strokes for different folks. I still have the Camaro, so don't be hatin ;-)

MSRP Was 32,465 on my car.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
xcdarrel17

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
Were you looking at the dealer trade in value, or private party? But to the OP, yes the KBB values are messed up. A 1SS with no extra options and 3,000+ miles should be about 2K less than what you paid for it. So figure the going national prices now... 32K would be the best you should get. Could you probably find someone to buy higher? Sure. You always can.

What did you trade in for?!
No, I was looking at KBB trade in value which says 22,400 for a 2010 LS in excellent condition with 7,000 miles. And my car was in excellent condition, not a flaw on it.

I got 18,500 for the trade. Had another place offer 19k, but they didn't have the car I wanted on the lot. One dealer said 16,200 and I laughed at him and hung up the phone.
xcdarrel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
It may be skewed as far as most dealers go, but I have found that if you keep looking, you will find a dealer that will, if you won't back down, give you KBB high trade in. My take time and effort, but has always worked for me.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
KBB isn't the most accurate resource. Unless you have access to the Black Book, Mannheim auctions, or SmartAuction, your estimates may not reflect reality. Use what the dealer uses.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote