Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
ttexxan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Scratches on Radio----

Got some scratches on Radio that is really noticable when the sun is hitting the interior...Wonder how to get out or can this peice be replaced?? If replaced then will install shield over from the get go
ttexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I had some light scratches on mine. I use "Meguiars" quick interior detailer on it and it filled them in so they're not so noticible.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
ttexxan

What I am wondering is that the entire radio peice or seperate peice of plastic that goes over the radio?? If the full radio might can get my dealer to switch out since the car is new
Old 01-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
I tried the same route..It is the entire radio as a unit.

Check the detailing section...Moose (Ed) recommended to me a product he uses for acrylic. Just use product evenly as to not distort the faceplate in the sun/reflection.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
ttexxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I tried the same route..It is the entire radio as a unit.

Check the detailing section...Moose (Ed) recommended to me a product he uses for acrylic. Just use product evenly as to not distort the faceplate in the sun/reflection.
Most likely will get the entire radio switched out from the dealer since the car is brand new and they guy is really easy to work with. That might be the best route and then cover it with something like invinsashield...I have to have some other stuff done to the lighting in the doors to be fixed tom so will talk to him then. Wouldnt be so bad if the scratch didnt appear across the enitre radio...
Old 01-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
This is the only thing i hate about the camaro, i got a scratch on day 1 and see it every day. I was thinking about someome making a plastic shield to cover that part of the radio, something like a skin, like for an ipod.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
ttexxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebighar View Post
This is the only thing i hate about the camaro, i got a scratch on day 1 and see it every day. I was thinking about someome making a plastic shield to cover that part of the radio, something like a skin, like for an ipod.
If mine was just a small area I would say no problem...I have also used soft cloths to wipe down the area and dont mind the fine ones. However this is more than a fine scratch (or so appears) That is why Im thinking a radio swap might be the easiest solution. Im sure they will have to order it so in the mean time I might have a guy attempt to do a shield or something to place over when getting. I would rather have it protected somehow. Sometime of glass would have been better than plastic
Old 01-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
ttexxan

Kinda wondering how hard it is to change out the radio for another though....Many of the guys at the shop have not had to work on tooo many....My interior door light was the first time they had to take door apart but the light was not working right. Guys a good opp for them to learn : >)
Old 01-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
I think a carbon fiber skin may look good, changing the radio seems drastic but i also hate the plastic because it also gets dusty as hell.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
Mine is scratched as well. Fine scratches, but I know they're there. The only thing I've ever cleaned it with is a microfiber duster, used very lightly.
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
ttexxan

Just got off the phone with my Clear Bra installer and he stated he could make a skin for it without a problem and then use mine for the mold...I had invinsashield done by him on the front of the car and might pertect the radio..
Old 01-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Really a full replacement of a radio, I doubt that is going to happen. Just polish it out. You can probably go to any parts store and buy a compound for plastics. Then buy a screen protector, like the ones that go on the iphone or blackberry. I am sure there are ones that you can cut to size.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
Ladyz28

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 2001 Ford Focus
Had the same problem with scratches. No matter how soft the cloth. If you get it replaced, here is a cheap easy solution..I bought a roll of windshield tint at Walmart for under $4. Place piece over radio screen. Cut to fit. I did this with mine. The tint is also good for under the door handles. Had a problem with people getting in the passenger door without touching the paint with their fingernails. Cut to fit under door handle and it will protect from scratches. Its easy enough to remove when washing and re-apply after.
Ladyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Gray I will make a pattern off of tour faceplate the next time I come by. It looks like this is going to be a common problem so I should go ahead and pattern it off. I also have the door cups as well. Another good area to get done. I will be in touch soon so we can set a date.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote