Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #43
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Number 3,

I see all your points and understand. My question to you is concerning the transmission. My car vin 18261 was pre-ordered and is before the rear sensors in which several people had the transmissions break.

I have not used launch control becuase I am afraid of it breaking. I would like to do it just once just to see what it does.

I have modded my car with headers, cai, hf cats, dyno tune, cam swap underdrive pulley and they changed the oil pump to a high volume melling.

If I use launch control or for some other reason my tranny breaks, in you ropinion would it be covered even though I modded it since GM know there was a problem?

My car is pushing 450rwhp. Thanks for your input.
I'll put it this way - they have perfectly fine grounds to deny your claim. That said, many dealers won't do that to you, but you don't really know for sure. Is the dealer you use for service the same dealer you bought the car from? Sometimes they may be a bit more likely to help.

In the end none of us can truly answer this, its up to the discretion of the dealer.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #44
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I'll put it this way - they have perfectly fine grounds to deny your claim. That said, many dealers won't do that to you, but you don't really know for sure. Is the dealer you use for service the same dealer you bought the car from? Sometimes they may be a bit more likely to help.

In the end none of us can truly answer this, its up to the discretion of the dealer.
Yes the dealer servicing is the dealer purchased from. I know about modding and voiding the warranty. I guess my question is since GM knows there is a problem with SOME transmissions and since mine may have fallen into that range becuase of date of purchase, would I still be protected if the tranny shaft broke even though I modded.

The dealer probably wouldn't come into play since alot of people are saying that if you have powertrain issues that they have to get approval from GM.

I have had my car over a year and only have 6700 miles, I do not race but I would like to try out all the features, ie launch control etc... but just trying to cover my bases if the tranny breaks. I understand about the rest of the car and the motor, but the tranny is the question. Thanks for your in put
Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #45
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Yes the dealer servicing is the dealer purchased from. I know about modding and voiding the warranty. I guess my question is since GM knows there is a problem with SOME transmissions and since mine may have fallen into that range becuase of date of purchase, would I still be protected if the tranny shaft broke even though I modded.

The dealer probably wouldn't come into play since alot of people are saying that if you have powertrain issues that they have to get approval from GM.

I have had my car over a year and only have 6700 miles, I do not race but I would like to try out all the features, ie launch control etc... but just trying to cover my bases if the tranny breaks. I understand about the rest of the car and the motor, but the tranny is the question. Thanks for your in put
I know that, but the transmission is connected to the engine. The fact you have modded your car and increased the HP is grounds to deny your claim for transmission damage from a launch. Since they can't specifically identify the transmissions that were bad (my VIN is lower than your and I've used LC a few times with no problem), they will go for a secondary means as to what could have damaged it.

Will they do that? maybe, maybe not. But if they have to go to GM to get approval I bet GM's first question is, is the engine modified? And if so they will probably say no. Just IMO..

Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #46
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I know that, but the transmission is connected to the engine. The fact you have modded your car and increased the HP is grounds to deny your claim for transmission damage from a launch. Since they can't specifically identify the transmissions that were bad (my VIN is lower than your and I've used LC a few times with no problem), they will go for a secondary means as to what could have damaged it.

Will they do that? maybe, maybe not. But if they have to go to GM to get approval I bet GM's first question is, is the engine modified? And if so they will probably say no. Just IMO..
I appreciate your opinion, hopefully it won't come to that. Thanks
Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #47
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
I appreciate your opinion, hopefully it won't come to that. Thanks
I hope so too, IMO in this case it sucks, good luck.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #48
Alan Gordon

Drives: 2010 2SS camaro
I want to know if I install a cold air intake on my 2010 2SS will that void the warranty.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #49
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
I want to know if I install a cold air intake on my 2010 2SS will that void the warranty.
Basically no. However if you have a problem related to or caused by the intake then it may not be covered.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #50
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Question Will this modification void my warranty?

Will This Mod Void My Warranty? Added Aug 27, 2010, Under: General Automotive

This is a question we get asked often and is a major concern for many people as they start down the road of modifying their vehicle. Search the web and you will find plenty of answers from the internet “experts”, but as usual most of them totally incorrect. So, what is the correct answer?

Despite all the bad information out there, it is pretty cut and dry because there is federal law on the matter. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) regulates warranties and protects the consumer. This legislation was enacted in 1975 in response to widespread deceptive warranty practices in many industries. Here is how SEMA summarizes things:
The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker’s brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law’s protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part: No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name… (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
So in short, this means a service department or automotive manufacturer can not void your warranty simply because you have installed aftermarket parts or have modified your vehicle. They can, however, deny a warranty claim if they can prove the issue in question was a direct result of the installed part or modification. Unfortunately, plenty of people have stories of going to a dealership service department with a warranty issue and being denied because they have modified their vehicle. There are definitely shady service departments out there who will try to get over on their customers if they can, but this is illegal and it is up to the customer to know the law and stand up.

Here is an example of what can not be denied:

You install a supercharger in your vehicle and a month later your drivers side window stops working. The supercharger has no impact on your electric window motor, therefore, the repair should be covered.

Here is and example of what could be denied:

You install a supercharger in your vehicle and a month later your clutch is toast. The additional power created by a supercharger can easily overpower a stock clutch and lead to the repair not being covered under warranty.

So what do you do if you are illegally denied a warranty repair? According to the law, if the repair is over $25 you lawyer up and file a lawsuit in federal court. I know it may seem cheaper to just pay for the repair, but under the law the prevailing plaintiff may recover the costs of the suit including attorney fees.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #51
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
as soon as you send me my new tail lights, I will GLADY be voiding my tail light warranty....

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #52
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
Hmmm, hot torch, hot chick, short shorts, tail light reference - I see a trend here....

Hers & His
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #53
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMT View Post
as soon as you send me my new tail lights, I will GLADY be voiding my tail light warranty....
Week after next there are going to be a bunch of Camaros running around that are no longer eligible for tail light repairs.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #54
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I was thinking this could void the Marriage......
Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #55
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm merging this with the sticky.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #56
JUISSD

Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
The M-M Act is great, but time after time dealers and reps violate it and unjustly deny warranty claims. This happens under every maker not just GM. In the end they can do what they want. Going to court over it is a long and expensive process. It doesn't happen all the time but often enough. I've seen it first hand. It was a huge problem with the '03 Cobra. Look at the car the wrong way and they were denying claims. Of course it didn't stop me from putting a pile of parts on my car while I still had paper plates but that's just me. Mod at your own risk.

Closed Thread

Tags
ftc, law, void warranty, warranty